Metz Z8 vs. BT-016s vs. PR2 vs. Shinko Raven 009

View Poll Results: Metz Z8 vs. BT-016s vs. PR2 vs. Shinko Raven 009?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metz Z8

10 26.32%
  • BT-016

6 15.79%
  • PR2

14 36.84%
  • Shinko 009

6 15.79%
  • Other (post reply)

2 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metz Z8 vs. BT-016s vs. PR2 vs. Shinko Raven 009

Metz Z8 vs. BT-016s vs. PR2 vs. Shinko Raven 009

I'm looking to get a new set of rubber myself, for the 599. I'm not out to get my knees/pegs scraping, but am more of a cruising type who just wants to enjoy the sun and the breeze. Which tires would you recommend?

Re: Metz Z8 vs. BT-016s vs. PR2 vs. Shinko Raven 009

Jen,

I ran Metzler's ME 880 marathon's on my cruiser for years. They are a harder compound tire and do last a long time but found they don't handle well in the rain past the first year and towards the end of their life found they didn't hold the road well on dry pavement either. This year I put a set of Bridgestone EXedra's on my bike. I'm very happy with them they hold the road very well even when you want to get a little aggressive and found they grip very well in the rain. Had my bike up to 100-110 in the rain and felt very confident they weren't going to let go on my. With the tread pattern on them they handled the rain like i was running on dry pavement even when stopping.

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

I got about 12,000kms on my rear BT016 on my 599.
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

27000km on pilot road 2s

I voted other as I was/am a big fan of the BT016 other then wear. However I took the advice of a few other fellow riders and have switched to the BT023's which seem to be wearing better then the BT016. I would highly suggest taking a look at them as I really have no complaints so far.

I voted for Shinko because of the amazing price/performance ratio, but for your style of riding and bike I'd recommend an ever harder compound tire. More touring-cruising than sport-touring, if you know what I mean. I've had good experience with PR2, but the difference in price is much bigger than the difference in performance/feel/longevity/wear. Metz Z8 was a disappointment - considerably faster and more uneven wear than others. Haven't had any experience with BT016, but was quite happy with BT45 on my Zephyr 550 in all conditions.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

i didn't vote as i've never used a front Z8...very impressed so far with the rear Z8 "C" i'm using right now though...

we'll see how it works when the roads get colder...then i'll know how good it is

hated the BTO-16's the wore out really fast! My shinkos 003's seem fine for my riding style....daily commute and occasional ramps.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    27000km on pilot road 2s
    Have you got those tires mounted to a moped?

If Pilot 2's last that long, they would be cheaper to run the the Shinko Raven 009's I'm currently running, as my Shinko's are only giving me 13,000 km on my B12.
    '
    Last edited by Carmen; 10-05-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    I was just about to ask the same question . That tire hasn't seen much acceleration (or braking) for one reason or the other...

...the Shinko Raven 009's I'm currently running, as my Shinko's are only giving me 13,000 km on my B12.
    You, however, are the other extreme. How many burnouts did you do?

I'm far from gentle and we have the same bike, although I'm probably loading mine more and more often (two-up, full luggage touring) but I still get at least 18,000Km out of a rear Shinko. It would be far more than that if there were more twisties (middle gets flat and worn while sides are good for another 18,000). The worst I ever got from a rear on my B12 (80fp, 110Hp on the wheel) was about 12,000Km, Metzeller Z6 (if I recall well, it was years ago).
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Hmm. I'm running a Z8 rear and an M5 front on the Blackbird and I'm quite happy with the tires' traction and behaviour. Dry roads or wet, they always feel planted and stick very well in corners. I don't know how you guys are pulling those numbers though - I have cooked a rear off in as few as 3500kms (no, I do NOT do burnouts!). I seem to have learned how to stretch tire life a bit since my wife started following me on her bike, my current rear tire has 5000 on it and still looks pretty good - I could be on track for a personal record.

On a light bike like the 599 the Z8's should last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by shewie View Post
    Hmm. I'm running a Z8 rear and an M5 front on the Blackbird
    nice to know at least one other person is running the same tyres as me & likes them...LOL
    Last edited by jefflthomas; 10-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Dunlop RoadSmart. 27,000 km's on a SS sportbike.
    The original modern sport touring tire of which the others stepped up to about 4 years ago. Similar to the Bridgestone BT023 (I know someone who has them but does not like the wear mileage they are getting), same for the Michelins.
    Dunlop's best wet weather tire of all their tires per their website. I never had an issue with 3 sets of them, even to the very edge. Left many a BT016 and others riders in the dust on the curves.
    Dual compound rear.
    Last edited by Ikan; 10-05-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    I got about 12,000kms on my rear BT016 on my 599.

What tires are you running now?

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

Quote Originally Posted by Ikan View Post
    What tires are you running now?
    was Power pilot 2CTs, which are amazing!! but you don't need them from just cruising. Actual, running, nothing. My bike is dead
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    was Power pilot 2CTs, which are amazing!! but you don't need them from just cruising. Actual, running, nothing. My bike is dead

You like them better than the BT016? Trying to decide what to get for one of my bikes.

I voted PR2's as I've worn down two sets now and have been very happy with them. First set was replaced at around 21k km and was at the wear bars, second set is at 24k km I think and the tread has disappeared from the middle. That's on a FZ6 with a lot of touring but also a lot of stop and go commuting with hard acceleration. Will go for PR3's as soon as I find a set in stock for cheap, probably from motorcycle-superstore shipped to Niagara Falls. The back was super sketchy commuting to work yesterday morning, around 10C and a greasy wet road equaled tire spin accelerating from a stop and shifting into second for the first ten minutes.

I ran a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's (same as a Metzler Z6 for what it's worth) before the two sets of Michelins and they were good too, survived over 20k km, but the Michelin's inspire much more confidence, especially in wet weather. I do miss the lightning quick turn in from the Pirelli's though

If Pilot 2's last that long, they would be cheaper to run the the Shinko Raven 009's I'm currently running, as my Shinko's are only giving me 13,000 km on my B12.
    '
    lol, that was on a sv650. they're great on tires..

Has anyone tried the new Bridgestoen BT-016 Pro?

Per Bridgestone's site:

The BT-016 was a 2 compund front and 3 compound rear.

The Pro is a 2 compound front and rear. New compounds. Better in the rain and longer lasting life with no degradation in grip from new to time of replacement due to wear.

My Shinko's lasted forever. I wanted to get a new tire but I couldnt kill them even after many many burnouts. About 20 000kms on a CBR600RR. After that I gave up and just got a new tire.

I didnt really like it for spirited riding, and they seemed to break loose under 1st gear full throttle acceleration but for longevity, its pretty good.
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)