wtf? $500 a month for a 1993 honda civic cx?

Thread: wtf? $500 a month for a 1993 honda civic cx?

wtf? $500 a month for a 1993 honda civic cx?

hey guys

i just bought a 1993 honda civic cx

im 21 male

GM2 (got my g1 when i was 16/17)

clean record ive only ever got parking tickets (and when i had my old car i got a "muffler being too loud" ticket and a "tint being too dark" ticket (neither had demerit points) and 2 demerit point tickets on my motorcycle (both which are being fought so they shouldnt show on my record yet and ONE not at fault accident

i called wawanessa insurance and wanted to insure the car under my name and they said its 500 bucks a month......

i paid 700 for the car as a winter beater wtf there must be a loop hole or a mistake or SOMETHING

btw im trying to avoid insuring under my parents due to issues so i need a workaround

Re: wtf? $500 a month for a 1993 honda civic cx?

1.) You are young

2.) I presume you live in GTA (where rates are higher than the rest of Ontario)

3.) The Civic is not a cheap car to insure. Search for my thread of CLEAR rate groups.

4.) By purchasing a liability-only policy, you are insuring for injuries (i.e. fixing human bodies), NOT for the value of the car. Often, injuries are more severe in cheap beater cars than they are in nice cars with safety features galore.

5.) $500/mo seems like a lot -- keep shopping around. You might be able to find something closer to $300/mo

6.) The muffler infraction is a city bylaw ticket which doesn't go on your record

7.) I think the window tint conviction will be on your record. Demerit points do not matter with insurance companies -- either you have a ticket or you don't

8.) If you were deemed 0-25% at fault, the insurance company cannot penalize you for the accident.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

The insurance companies got crazy recently!
    My car insurance grow up twice during last year. I'm balancing on the edge of stopping driving a car, cause 500 per month if freaking a lot!

You can thank the rice crowd for that premium..

The theft rates are those cars are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by flameboy182 View Post
    The theft rates are those cars are ridiculous.
    If the car was less than $1000, I doubt the OP is insuring for Theft or Collision anyway. The premium is most likely high due to the operator and the likelihood of being hurt in a Civic.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    1.)

6.) The muffler infraction is a city bylaw ticket which doesn't go on your record
    This i s likely not the case since bylaw would have given him the noise ticket. If an officer gave him a muffler to loud it would have fallen under the HTA:

Muffler

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

You can find a better rate, MAYBE. I just hear a lot from other agents that Wawanesa is a really bad company to deal with. I'm with them currently and they are dropping me.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

So I was talking to my "bro-ker" and he was telling me how I don't need to be a secondary driver. Cops only care if the vehicle is insured and not the driver?

So I can drive the car and if I get pulled over I just say the primary driver gave me permission.

I just wanted to know your oppinion on this because i trust your word over his

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    1.) You are young

2.) I presume you live in GTA (where rates are higher than the rest of Ontario)

3.) The Civic is not a cheap car to insure. Search for my thread of CLEAR rate groups.

4.) By purchasing a liability-only policy, you are insuring for injuries (i.e. fixing human bodies), NOT for the value of the car. Often, injuries are more severe in cheap beater cars than they are in nice cars with safety features galore.

5.) $500/mo seems like a lot -- keep shopping around. You might be able to find something closer to $300/mo

7.) I think the window tint conviction will be on your record. Demerit points do not matter with insurance companies -- either you have a ticket or you don't

8.) If you were deemed 0-25% at fault, the insurance company cannot penalize you for the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by bengali548 View Post
    So I was talking to my "bro-ker" and he was telling me how I don't need to be a secondary driver. Cops only care if the vehicle is insured and not the driver?

So I can drive the car and if I get pulled over I just say the primary driver gave me permission.

I just wanted to know your oppinion on this because i trust your word over his
    If you drive the vehicle the majority of the time, you must be listed as the principal operator. If you're not, then you're committing insurance fraud (aka "Misrepresentation"). Although it's true that you can legally operate a vehicle that is insured by someone else (i.e. the police won't bother you), you could be in for a surprise should you ever need to make a claim and the investigator finds out that you lied about the vehicle's usage. Insurance companies employ and contract investigators.

In short, it's not the police you should be worried about, but rather the denial of your potential future claim AND a nice big red FRAUD flag on your name (and the name of the false principal operator) which will make it difficult to find insurance in the future. If you want to drive/ride, you have to pay the premium that matches your risk level.

Try phoning Bel-Air Direct, they may give you a better rate.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

its those two infractions that seem minor to you that are screwing you up.

to them its two minor infractions...doesnt matter if its speeding 20 over or unnecessary noise...

bastards!

go to kanetix.ca and insurancehotline.com and you can price out different insurance at the same time.

it also allows you to play with different cars and options to see what the ins will charge for accordingly

for instance, i pay 218 a month for my maxima, next year when my two tickets come off i will pay just over $140. Shopping around for different car also lead to some amazing discoveries. Somehow its cheaper for me to insure a WRX subaru ($103) than my maxima ($140) or Honda Fit of the same year ($12 (!?!!?)
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by rideitlikeyoustoleit View Post
    You can find a better rate, MAYBE. I just hear a lot from other agents that Wawanesa is a really bad company to deal with. I'm with them currently and they are dropping me.
    Wawanesa increased my rates by 100% in two years. (two renewal periods, 50% increase each year). I dropped them like a hot potato! Their only reason was because I lived in Brampton.......BS...... I am currently with Desjardins. Saved alot.

Try my broker.

Masters Insurance Limited
    7501 Keele St., Suite 400
    Vaughan, Ontario
    L4K 1Y2

Tel: (905) 738-4164
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Young guy + civic that's all there is to it. To insurers at 21 you are still a kid, and young guys with civics in general have the worst rap of all drivers when it comes to maturity.

^^ It doesnt work that way....

what, you think the guy sits there and goes "yea civic? 21 year old? ooh we're gonna rip him a new one"

his insurance would be high on no matter what car. The Civic are known to be higher to be insured even IF he had a clean record and was 30 years old compared to say a corolla.

His bad driving record + cars high insurance rating = rapage!!!

like i said.

go to kanetix enter all your info and keep going back and changing the cars to see which cars you'd like to buy have cheaper insurance.

In my case i was eyeballing the Honda Fit but the price is higher AND its a lot more to insure compared to say a Mazda 3 or Subaru Impreza that the gas savings would be eaten away.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Sounds about right I'm afraid. I just entered that for the same year car for my 17 year old son, at InsuranceHotline.com and got a quote of $512 monthly or $6143 per year. By comparison a Mazda B2200 pickup of the same age would be $417 monthly or $5009 for the exact same coverage.

So yes the companies are saying, "yea civic? 21 year old? ooh we're gonna rip him a new one" to the tune of $1134 per year.....nice one

I thought I was getting raped at $161 a month for my 2001 focus. Not so bad anymore I guess.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    go to kanetix enter all your info and keep going back and changing the cars to see which cars you'd like to buy have cheaper insurance.
    That's one method, but a quick way of drilling down to cheap-to-insure cars is to use the PDF linked to on this website:

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/B...w_Car/HCMU.asp