one day to PA from oakville

Thread: one day to PA from oakville

one day to PA from oakville

only have one day for a nice ride to the states thru the lewiston bridge
    if someone can have some routes to take for a 8ish hour ride
    dont really want to be rushed , want to take some sights
    thnaks

Re: one day to PA from oakville

Not really a route, but I just got back from Washington DC and took I-219 down from Buffalo. All twisties, tons of trees looking awesome this time of year. The roads were in good shape eventhough it was raining the whole trip...
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

If you left at 7am this should be doable and at least gives you some idea. The first part will be slab and I would suggest BUffalo as a route not Lewiston.

There is lots around Renovo and you may not have to go that far south but the run along the river is gorgeous.
    Ask Mototrek for more detail in the area.

Your other longish day trip is Finger Lakes loop and thats a Lewiston crossing.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    If you left at 7am this should be doable and at least gives you some idea. The first part will be slab and I would suggest BUffalo as a route not Lewiston.

There is lots around Renovo and you may not have to go that far south but the run along the river is gorgeous.
    Ask Mototrek for more detail in the area.

Your other longish day trip is Finger Lakes loop and thats a Lewiston crossing.
    +1 for Renovo. You can make it a lunch stop at Yesterdays.

Look at Couldersport? Coudersport? South on 144 through the state park and return on a different branch northwards. It's a highly entertaining ride, but try to avoid Oleans NY as traffic slows through there, and there are a few nice ways to totally avoid it.

An early start is key and I'd suggest the Fort Erie crossing and highway to Springville NY.

An absolutely beautiful view and crazy road is here: 41.326353, -77.624505 (paste this into google maps)
    In Hyner View State Park just to the South East of Renovo. It's well worth the extra time just for the ride up and down the mountain!

A short video of hang gliding from the top of Hyner:

More pictures here from a sept long weekend trip through Renovo:
    http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...nia-bound.html
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 10-05-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: oops!

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

'think thats what we're gonna do. have to go to lewiston to pickup some stuff at the mall .
    early start and slab to and fro and want to spend 3-4 hours down there. wether it is in the park or around coudersport
    is there any specific we must hit in that area.
    dont think we will make it to renovo this time
    thansk

thinking of sticking around allegany park

maybe 219 south
    then thru the park?
    6 across
    then ? back north

sounds like a plan

The Park is a bit boring and the roads are rough - plus add in the gas fracking....not so nice.

this site is useful

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/pa44.html

best motorcycle roads pennsylvania

sr 44 is brilliant

• "As noted below, the best section of PA44 is the 30-40 mile stretch just south of Coudersport. I would recommend that anyone taking PA44 should also do a quick side trip to the Hyner View Lookout, it's a launch point for hang gliders and a place that offers a spectacular view! Take PA1014, "Hyner Road", for approx 4 miles to the Hyner View State Park entrance, turn left and go approx 3 miles to the lookout. Hyner Road and the road to the lookout are an experience in and of themselves - well worth the trip - you wont be disappointed! Bring your camera." - Brad Morgan (9/2/0
    • "I rode this route today and was initially disappointed until I got past Coudersport and things got more interesting in terms of interesting elevation changes and curves. I rely on this site to take me away from the straight, police infested roads of Toronto, Ontario. When I read twisty I want twisty all the way. West Virginia in July certainly met the description. I would agree with some other comments; that it provides a bit of everything. I ride a K1200R BMW and ride well in excess of speed limits. This road was vehicle free and the 35 mph corners can be taken very quickly while 25 mph corners were closer to what was advertised. A good ride but not a great ride for sportbikes." - Dean Macaskill, Toronto, Ontario (8/27/0
    • "Awesome road. Trees created a canopy over your head. Some road work (what's summer without it), so beware of Workers Ahead. Posted at 45 & that's a good speed for this road. Gives you a chance to catch some of those overlooks that come on real sudden. And I agree about the McConnell Country store. Something for everyone. My hubby was thrilled cause his last name is McConnell." - J. Mc. (7/22/0
    • "What a great find... took this road on a whim, and so glad I did. It rained hard the night before, so I didn't have the opportunity to really attack it. A handful of deer at different points also factored into the more moderate speeds. Excellent road, gorgeous scenery, and the folks at the country story (in Waterville) were great. Can't wait to do it again!" - Anonymous (6/10/0
    • "Did a pre-ride for our upcoming overnighter, and I am so pumped that Route 44 offers everything any rider could want. Scenic views, twisties, couple of switch backs, and very little car traffic. With gas prices over $4.00/gallon, this is one of the best thrill rides per gallon PA has to offer. Well worth riding at any price." - Chris, Fairview, PA (5/26/0
    Last edited by MacDoc; 10-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

The Park is a bit boring and the roads are rough - plus add in the gas fracking....not so nice.

this site is useful

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/pa44.html

best motorcycle roads pennsylvania

sr 44 is brilliant.

In June I rode RT44 & 666 and enjoyed them both tremendously on a ss bike with tank and rear bag on passenger seat. Loved the varied surfaces of pavement. Any bumps just add to, "Hey let's stay awake and pay attention to where I am riding." I stopped to look at the scenery a few times."

Might leave Saturday morning to see some more. Maybe 2 or 3 days.
    Last edited by Ikan; 10-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Rescue you could do part of 44 and then loop back around but you would end up riding home in the dark which is fine if you on the slab...you'd want a very early start tho. If you are thinking of 6 it's not all that interesting. One day is really tough this time of year with shorter daylight - mind you we had a hoot on a 400 k after dark run last night around the Escarpment and Niagara Falls.....take warm gear....it can get close to freezing in there and then be high 20s later in the day.

Rescue you could do part of 44 and then loop back around but you would end up riding home in the dark which is fine if you on the slab...you'd want a very early start tho. If you are thinking of 6 it's not all that interesting. One day is really tough this time of year with shorter daylight - mind you we had a hoot on a 400 k after dark run last night around the Escarpment and Niagara Falls.....take warm gear....it can get close to freezing in there and then be high 20s later in the day.
    +1 on the gear. Riding in hill country means you lose your light fast, and the lows are around the 1 deg Celsius mark at times, which doesn't factor in wind chill. I was wearing my heated jacket and winter gloves last week in the Catskills, and I had to stop at Wally Mart for a second set of pants to keep my legs warm when it rained or got dark, on they'd go.

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)

This would be choice as well, right down to lunch at yesterdays!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    +1 for Renovo. You can make it a lunch stop at Yesterdays.

Look at Couldersport? Coudersport? South on 144 through the state park and return on a different branch northwards. It's a highly entertaining ride, but try to avoid Oleans NY as traffic slows through there, and there are a few nice ways to totally avoid it.

An early start is key and I'd suggest the Fort Erie crossing and highway to Springville NY.

An absolutely beautiful view and crazy road is here: 41.326353, -77.624505 (paste this into google maps)
    In Hyner View State Park just to the South East of Renovo. It's well worth the extra time just for the ride up and down the mountain!

A short video of hang gliding from the top of Hyner:

More pictures here from a sept long weekend trip through Renovo:
    http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/...nia-bound.html

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    +1 on the gear. Riding in hill country means you lose your light fast, and the lows are around the 1 deg Celsius mark at times, which doesn't factor in wind chill. I was wearing my heated jacket and winter gloves last week in the Catskills, and I had to stop at Wally Mart for a second set of pants to keep my legs warm when it rained or got dark, on they'd go.

That is why I bring my 2 piece Rhyno rainsuit. Sometimes I just put the pants on as they block the wind and help hold the heat in.
    Do not forget to be observant for deer anytime and anywhere.

I ran into Kiterider yesterday on Pennsylvania Route 44 at the Water Tank Hollow vista:

'08 Suzuki DR650E

'94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)