How do you keep your legs warm in fall/early winter? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your legs warm in fall/early winter?

Re: How do you keep your legs warm in fall/early winter?

Long Johns in the fall. Come winter I use insulated riding pants (Scorpion). I also have a heated liner. I was comfortable well into the minuses last year.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

I use Joe Rocket textile pants and heavy jacket with maybe one extra layer (post November rides). I found my hands where the only thing to get cold, never my pants. If you ride past Nov get heated gloves or grips.
    New to me for 2012.

rain suit
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Depends on how cold it is and how far I am going. Just around town, I usually just go in jeans, but the next step after that is long johns. They work very well, keep my toasty. For a longer trip in the cold weather I have some joe rocket textile pants that have a waterproof liner. I would first start out long johns, then pants without liner. If it was really cold I would pop the liner as well.

No one solution that works for everything, having layer options are the best in my opinion.

+1 on layers. Long johns are usually the best option, but if you're going on a long ride on a really cold day, jeans aren't worth a damn...even with long johns. Get some textile pants with a thermal liner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

off topic of pants lots of people complaining of cold digits.
    ditch the heated grips.

gerbings G3 heated gloves. -20, toasty fingernails.
    like putting your hands in an oven.
    Engine size is compensation for tiny odometers. // You either drag knee in -3 or pose in 20.
    2001 ex500 420+ km on a single tank. Mods: Digital Speedomoter / Corbin Seat / Works Performance Shock / braided brake lines / fake pezzo levers / integrated mirror+turn signals / gps power cord + ram mount / heated grips. / Heat troller for winter gear Fairing repair tutorial

+1 on rain suit, +2 on layers .. when it gets really cold, long johns, insulated tough duck pants, snowboard pants, rain suit.. the only thing that gets cold is my thumbs.. and sometimes my ankles as I havn't rigged up somthing to keep the pants from riding up ... too cheeep to buy
    Last edited by meester_jamie; 10-04-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Try real motorcycle riding gear. I know it sounds crazy, but it really works.
    I use a Rev'It! Sand jacket and Pant suit and have no issues with any type of weather.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

You need wind stopping material which jeans aren't as others have said. Then layer. I have insulated goretext pants and I wear MEC thermals underneath, I also have those cheap battery powered socks from Crappy Tire that surprisingly work too. For hands I have winter gloves and I use the rain covers on them to block wind + heated grips, body the core needs to be kept warm so layers again. Balaclava for the face that covers the throat..Crappy Tire has skidoo ones that work well with an insulated front panel that tucks into your gear.

In single-digit temperatures, I find I am comfortable enough with overalls that I got for $40 from an army surplus store layered over a pair of jeans. At 5 degrees C, I would add a pair of long johns under the jeans if running at highway speeds.

Anything colder than that and I just wouldn't be out on my bike. I find the tires (Roadstar cruiser) really lose their grip when it is approaching the freezing point and it's just not worth the risk. In the past, I have taken my main rides out occasionaly when the roads are clear during the winter but I always fret about the corrosion damage from all the salt on the roads. I'm pretty sure Yamaha doesn't do much in the way of rust protection for their bikes.

Even if you can wash the bike afterwards, its pretty hard clean all the places the salt powder can get into. I guess tha answer is a two-wheeled winter beater like a KLR with big knobbies. Better yet, a sidecar rig would be lots of fun!

I don't know about you guys but the warmth from the engine keeps me pretty darn warm down there. I do like to sit close to the tank though.

I wear an extra pair of jeans on top.
    ~ Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war! ~

work more with your legs though

Has anyone tried those sweaters from Mark's Work Warehouse? They say it can keep you warm up to -15. I wanna try it. And their socks too.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I close the windows and turn on the heater.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

long racing boots will prevent cold air into jeans

Eddie Bauer makes some flannel lined jeans that are nice. Levi's 501s with long johns are pretty good. Proper gear is even better but, I've never been one to take advise. I just give it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by meester_jamie View Post
    +1 on rain suit, +2 on layers .. when it gets really cold, long johns, insulated tough duck pants, snowboard pants, rain suit.. the only thing that gets cold is my thumbs.. and sometimes my ankles as I havn't rigged up somthing to keep the pants from riding up ... too cheeep to buy
    Make sure those puppies are tight. I had straps on a rain suit (they where a little loose), and the strap got caught on the footrest when I had to put my foot down. I realized it just in time to lean to the other side when I came to a red light.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    rain suit
    That works for me, I also keep my body moisturized with moisturizer, dry limbs get cold fast.

My bike has vents which direct the warm air going past the engine to be directed to your legs, knees and lower. Very effective as it keeps my knees from stiffening up.

BTW, my ride is a 1982 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
    Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!