Anyone ever taken singing lessons? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever taken singing lessons?

Re: Anyone ever taken singing lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post

Dude where did u learn that?
    puking ina mo!

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    I do have a piano and I would definitely practice. But out of curiosity, was the piano for practicing tones and pitches, or was it just to learn to sing to music?
    It was both and more. Learning to read music, learning the tones and pitches, learning another instrument, learning to sequence with another instrument. My kid

Her comment was quite a few years ago and I think that pianos were much more expensive back then and took lots of room, so people were loathe to buy them. Instead they opted for voice training, since it's a free instrument and takes no room.

My kid takes drums and the big issue that he has with beginning singers is that they don't have the timing down to sync with the other instruments. It makes things interesting as some of the guitar players speed up on the easy stuff and slow down for the hard parts as well. Karaoke machines let you cheat somewhat, as they have that bouncing ball showing you went to sing each word.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by bboySushi View Post
    I've been contemplating singing lessons for a while now too, though I've had a friend coach me for a little bit and it definitely improved my singing a lot (teaching me to use my diaphragm and use natural vibrato).
    Post a vid!

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxguy View Post
    I had the same questions though... Like do they really help or should I enroll him in piano lessons first to get the while music thing down first.
    Those type of lessons can be very expensive so I wanna make sure I put him in the right thing!
    There's no "right" way to do it. A lot of people have natural rhythm, and for some, it has to be worked on. If he has good natural rhythm (can jump on a beat with ease), I wouldn't sweat it. But if his rhythm needs work, any instrument would definitely help.

But for what it's worth, when they did studies on which was most likely to help intellectual/cognitive development for children, singing came first (with piano coming 2nd and drama coming 3rd)

Quote Originally Posted by vrus View Post
    She must be really playing hard to get
    Lol imagine? Good thing I'm not a sucka

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    It was both and more. Learning to read music, learning the tones and pitches, learning another instrument, learning to sequence with another instrument. My kid

Her comment was quite a few years ago and I think that pianos were much more expensive back then and took lots of room, so people were loathe to buy them. Instead they opted for voice training, since it's a free instrument and takes no room.

My kid takes drums and the big issue that he has with beginning singers is that they don't have the timing down to sync with the other instruments. It makes things interesting as some of the guitar players speed up on the easy stuff and slow down for the hard parts as well. Karaoke machines let you cheat somewhat, as they have that bouncing ball showing you went to sing each word.
    Thanks for clearing that up. That's definitely true, though. Years later (after I stopped playing), I found out that the piano set my parents back 5 grand. Now I know why they always wanted me to practice.

I used to DJ, beatbox, play the snare, piano and trumpet so I should be good to go in terms of rhythm & theory. But vocals, on the other hand...

I don't get it. But maybe that's because I'm already a tool
    Maybe a poser, but not a tool... yet.

Most people who want to learn singing just do it so they can get more attention etc... If you're doing it so you can dominate at the Filipino parties then go for it!

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    Maybe a poser, but not a tool... yet.

Most people who want to learn singing just do it so they can get more attention etc... If you're doing it so you can dominate at the Filipino parties then go for it!
    Whoa man, you can't be throwing the p word out there all willy nilly and think it's all gonna be hunky dory! And if I recall correctly, Oren didn't nickname me "chicken strips" . Btw, let's roll on monday 'cause I'll probably have the bike in the shop by Tuesday

TBH, I just wanna do it so I can sing in the car whenever I'm driving or when I'm at home listening to music. That **** seems like so much fun

Oh that's easy then. A bottle of Jack's should loosen you up enough so that you can belt out all of your favorite tunes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Whoa man, you can't be throwing the p word out there all willy nilly and think it's all gonna be hunky dory! And if I recall correctly, Oren didn't nickname me "chicken strips" . Btw, let's roll on monday 'cause I'll p
    robably have the bike in the shop by Tuesday

TBH, I just wanna do it so I can sing in the car whenever I'm driving or when I'm at home listening to music. That **** seems like so much fun
    haha true true. For the car.. if you wanna be bakla I guess :P

Ya monday sounds good. Just give me a shout. My bike is going to shop soon too.

Hopefully it can stay warm next week.