WV Long Weekend - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WV Long Weekend

Re: WV Long Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    I'd be up for that - and I've got an extra Scala that can make the time go by right quick and lot easier to coordinate gas and "hey lets go there" side journeys.

Was supposed to go with GF from Aus by car for that loop but we juggled dates around for a couple other adventures. I do know some of the area particularly Cape Breton - June would be ideal.

BG if you are tired of S Ontario the area North and East of Ottawa is terrific and I certainly want to do more rides there. Horizon X kayak camp offers a cheap over night alternative as well $10 for a cot in a tent.
    I'll be doing more in that area = my daughter is in Ottawa and nice to drop by and say hi.

Several creative ways of getting into the area as well including via North Bay for a quick start off via slab and then head east by noon. Yummie poutine too.
    I wasn't sure when was a good time of the year to hit the east coast - my friend went a couple of years ago and rode the whole Cabot Trail in the pouring rain -lol. I was lucky this year on my big trip - the only rain I got was the second day out through Ohio/Nebrasaka and the last day coming home in Michigan. Other than that - sunshine every day - although that did mean a campfire ban in Arizona, which was a little unfortunate because the nights were freezing!

For all the best of planning, the weather is always a crapshoot, but we have to have our vacation schedule into HR by the end of April - so I just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    219 is slow, though its a little quicker now that it bypasses Springfield. When I was first contemplating a 4 day trip, I was thinking of heading down towards Front Royal or Staunton, Va - with a one-night stand somewhere along there, then running 50 or 250 west to Elkins area (campground is actually in Davis, WV), camping 2 nights there and heading back via interstate on Monday. There's a KOA in Harrisonburg. Also time before last I went down I did it the other way - to Morgantown, over to Front Royal on 50 - running from Grafton, then back up through PA. Anyway, stayed at a Days Inn in Breezewood that was $50 - not fancy, a little run down maybe, but absolutely immacuately clean.

The weather looks amazing - it will break my heart if I can't get away this weekend
    The Best Western in Breezewood was about the same when I stayed there in 09. Breezewood is just one really big truck stop.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    The Best Western in Breezewood was about the same when I stayed there in 09. Breezewood is just one really big truck stop.
    lol - that's exactly what the owner of Day's Inn said to me - but that's what also makes it good if you are just looking for a place to crash the night - I left all my camping gear strapped to the bike - in a non-residential area you get a lot less vandalism.

Sure is lovely out today - colours just starting up by Belfountain....- might go for Niagara Falls run after dark to see the lights.
    •••

BG any prognosis on PA run?? - I'm very flexible in terms of you bailing out at any point if it hurts too much....Celebrex is your friend

••••
    Cape Breton
    The long daylight hours in June make almost anywhere in the northern part of the hemisphere a nice trip.
    When we did it in the cage the sun came over the horizon at 3.30 am. 3 weeks with my daughter was a memorable trip. Lots of whales to see and a lovely area.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Well I'm actually feeling pretty darn good.

It seems like a few people are at least starting out the same way on Friday a.m. - running down 219 into PA at least. I'm wondering how 'bout anyone whose interested meeting up at a Timmie's not too far from the border - thinking either the one off the QEW Casablanca exit or one off Victoria exit - both off north service road towards the lake, Since everybody seems prepared to go their own way in any event, it might be easier to work things out over coffee?? Hard to coorindate online and I don't have a problem with a rider hanging in for a few hours or a few days = depending on what floats your boat - sounds like we all just want to get out and ride this weekend. I have my maps and my GPS and I don't HAVE to be anywhere.

Once I get warmed up from the 400k after dark run to the Falls via the backroads I might consider a longer jaunt - right now I'm still chilled - and it's only 5 out and even going outside let alone on a ride is down on the priority list.....top is - fix the damn hot tub!!!!.
    But we had FUN!

The colours looked really good today earlier.

This is along the Credit just north of the GTA - I'm wondering if it's early for PA tho that's certainly not he only reason to go there
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Once I get warmed up from the 400k after dark run to the Falls via the backroads I might consider a longer jaunt - right now I'm still chilled - and it's only 5 out and even going outside let alone on a ride is down on the priority list.....top is - fix the damn hot tub!!!!.
    But we had FUN!

The colours looked really good today earlier.

This is along the Credit just north of the GTA - I'm wondering if it's early for PA tho that's certainly not he only reason to go there
    I don't think the colours will be peak yet - I'm more interested in getting out on those mountain roads in the warm weather
    I haven't checked the fall foliage reports - last year I went to PA the second weekend in October and rode from Enyon to Warren, on Rte 6, then checked out the Kinzula Dam area - some places were still green, some places the leaves had already fallen, the best colours were actually through NY State on 219. I might be able to do a weekend fall colour trip later on, but this weather is too good for me to pass up.
    If I don't get away again, certainly will have to do the Hockley Road/Airport Road run one day - I love that area in the fall.
    Last edited by BeastieGirl; 10-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa

I used to go to Toledo Ohio on a regular basis and it seemed that they were a week ahead of us in the spring and a week behind in the fall. That said, some friends coming back from VA last weekend saw some snow at higher elevations.

So who all is still heading down to WV tomorrow? I plan on leaving in the morning, going to try the I 90 then the I 79 south instead of 219, should shave off a couple hours. Once I arrive in Morgantown, not sure where I'm heading, maybe taking the 20 south then back up the 219.

Quote Originally Posted by polarized View Post
    So who all is still heading down to WV tomorrow? I plan on leaving in the morning, going to try the I 90 then the I 79 south instead of 219, should shave off a couple hours. Once I arrive in Morgantown, not sure where I'm heading, maybe taking the 20 south then back up the 219.
    I'm still heading out in the morning - I was thinking of running 90/79 down now - I'd like to set up camp in the daytime - targetting a little further south - Davis is south/east of Morgantown

I'm in Stoney Creek area - just a few minutes to QEW

Well I'll be on a dark blue suzuki sv650s with hard panniers and top case, perhaps we'll cross paths.

I stayed at Blackwater State Park for one night Labour Day weekend, my skin still crawls thinking about the shower I took in the morning, lol. So not sure if I'll be staying there the first night or not.

Cheers.

not recommended I take it - maybe I'll look around - I don't have reservations so no commitment

I didn't mean to detour you away from the park, its in a beautiful area, just wasn't impressed with the camping as there was no privacy and the bathrooms are from the '80's.

I have on my android phone an app called 'Camp and RV' by allstays. it uses gps to show all available campgrounds, and if you have data, it will even show the website of the campground. I've used it a couple times now and its great, no worrying about where to find a campground.

I should be typing this from somewhere in Ohio but the computer gremlins attacked and I spent today replacing printers and doing the stuff I should have completed yesterday. If I can drag my but out of bed early enough tomorrow I'll try for Breezewood and then sort things out from there. Re camping, some friends seemed OK with Elizabeth Furnace Campground somewhere along the Skyline Drive. I'll see if I'm up to it. Right now I just want to run away from home.

+1 on the hockley airport rd run in the fall
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    I don't think the colours will be peak yet - I'm more interested in getting out on those mountain roads in the warm weather
    I haven't checked the fall foliage reports - last year I went to PA the second weekend in October and rode from Enyon to Warren, on Rte 6, then checked out the Kinzula Dam area - some places were still green, some places the leaves had already fallen, the best colours were actually through NY State on 219. I might be able to do a weekend fall colour trip later on, but this weather is too good for me to pass up.
    If I don't get away again, certainly will have to do the Hockley Road/Airport Road run one day - I love that area in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I should be typing this from somewhere in Ohio but the computer gremlins attacked and I spent today replacing printers and doing the stuff I should have completed yesterday. If I can drag my but out of bed early enough tomorrow I'll try for Breezewood and then sort things out from there. Re camping, some friends seemed OK with Elizabeth Furnace Campground somewhere along the Skyline Drive. I'll see if I'm up to it. Right now I just want to run away from home.
    I hear you Even though the FZ1 is packed and just waiting for me in the garage, it feels like everything has been a little "off" in planning this trip. My boss OK'd Tuesday as an extra day, then changed his mind and said he'd rather I take Friday - then I hurt my wrist and banged my leg rollerblading, I did a couple of test rides and declared my wrist okay for riding - then found tightening bungee cords was a completely different matter - lol - then it appears my targeted campground is less than desirable - I'm not superstitious (usually) but the last time everything went haywire before a planned trip and I left anyway - I ended up in a serious accident.

Oh well -leaving at about 9:00 to miss the Buffalo rush hour traffic (such as it is) and I'm in no hurry and just kind of a free wheeling agenda. I'm going to chalk it up to sh***t happens and not a dire warning to stay a home with the covers over my head.

Have fun - sticking to local rides as I detest long weekend traffic - had not realized it's long weekend in the US too.
    Take it slow - your subconscious is wagging it's finger a bit....or your finger a bit

bloody hell is it nice out....

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    I have no aspirations for a nicer car or bigger house. All I want in the future is a more comfortable sport/ touring bike and lots of vacation time to enjoy it. The rest be damned. I'd love to one day take a couple months or longer to circle the lower 48 states and the Canadian west.
    Yaaaa....man my thoughts exactly...every time I park my bike in the garage after coming home...I look at my BMW...Nice ride...but I say sorry....I'd sell her in a heart beat to keep my bike if I needed....as you said I have noooooo aspirations for a better car hell I'd drive a beat up soccer momobile if needed...but the bike I'd keep...and it defines me as a person more than anything else.

I did my first long distance trip this summer, also solo to Harriberg PA...nothing big compared to the warriors we have on this site...but for me it was like soul searching....I never wanted the ride to end in certain parts of PA hills..... With sweet soul music and some Springsteen beats on my iphone ...I was in heaven ...a drifter from town to town...

Now one day I wanna do the Grand Canyon and San Francisco bend....one day.....
    Veej....
    your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan
    www.enVogueiMages.com

Just curious as to how your trips went guys and gals?