WV Long Weekend

Thread: WV Long Weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WV Long Weekend

With my daughters spending Thanksgiving with inlaws this year and the weather looking (so far) promising I'm planning a mini road trip next weekend. Since both vacation time and vacation funds are running low, I'm looking at camping here:
    http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/location.htm
    for two nights. Its central to some of my favourite riding roads in the area and has electric (for outdoor extension cord and mini space heater). It also has indoor accomodations but more than I want to spend right now.
    Haven't really plotted route down or back yet, but if weather is really nice, might run part of the way down 219 to make it a little more scenic - or maybe down to Staunton and cut back via 250 -would be a lot of K's that way.
    I can't take the Friday off but could add the Tuesday as a vacation day.
    I know its a lot more distance than a lot of people want to ride for such a short time, but I find the miles down there just fly by - 219 through Pennsylvania is pokey but should be pretty

Re: WV Long Weekend

Just curious. Do you usually travel alone like myself? Or do you have like minded friends?
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    Just curious. Do you usually travel alone like myself? Or do you have like minded friends?
    Company is welcome, but I don't mind travelling alone. I have lots of riding friends, but most deem my trips as "too ambitious" for them, usually meaning "wtf you mean you want to ride from sun up to sun down" )

I don't see a long weekend in WV or the Adironaks as too ambitious - I didn't see riding to the Grand Canyon as "too ambitious" - it its what I want to do, I do it, I accept long-distance travelling involves some not so fun moments - but for me the payoff outweighs the price.

When I went to Arizona this spring I was amazed at how many solo riders I met - some going distances that put my trip to shame.
    Last edited by BeastieGirl; 10-01-2011 at 03:26 PM.

I'm on the fence about solo versus two or 3 - ( my limit )
    Since I have my passport I might want to follow along. Keep me posted on route - you have my email
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I admire your sense of adventure Beastie Girl. I haven't traveled nearly as much as you, but I too have caught the bug. In fact I do very little local riding. I no longer enjoy it. To me riding is all about the adventure. Seeing new places and meeting new people. I have no aspirations for a nicer car or bigger house. All I want in the future is a more comfortable sport/ touring bike and lots of vacation time to enjoy it. The rest be damned. I'd love to one day take a couple months or longer to circle the lower 48 states and the Canadian west.

Speaking of adventurous souls, how about those long distance bicycle riders. We've all seen them in our travels, their bikes loaded down with camping gear and such. I've also seen these people at the top of Whiteface mountain (that's a 10 mile vertical climb). And we thought we were tough.

Have fun in WV. Unfortunately I have family commitments next week. I have no regrets about this summer though. I've been on four bike trips and one car trip with my grown daughters.
    Last edited by Carmen; 10-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Aurora

Have fun in WV.
    Don't think that's happening now - took a tumble on my rollerblades and hurt my wrist. I'm thinking its just a sprain, but last time I thought that it turned out a fracture - took me two days to hit the emergency room.

Anyway - right now I'm in wait and see mode - but even if the swelling is down, I don't think I'll chance a long trip. Grrr - my next hobby is going to be knitting.

I have no aspirations for a nicer car or bigger house. All I want in the future is a more comfortable sport/ touring bike and lots of vacation time to enjoy it. The rest be damned. I'd love to one day take a couple months or longer to circle the lower 48 states and the Canadian west.
    Yaaaa....man my thoughts exactly...every time I park my bike in the garage after coming home...I look at my BMW...Nice ride...but I say sorry....I'd sell her in a heart beat to keep my bike if I needed....as you said I have noooooo aspirations for a better car hell I'd drive a beat up soccer momobile if needed...but the bike I'd keep...and it defines me as a person more than anything else.

I did my first long distance trip this summer, also solo to Harriberg PA...nothing big compared to the warriors we have on this site...but for me it was like soul searching....I never wanted the ride to end in certain parts of PA hills..... With sweet soul music and some Springsteen beats on my iphone ...I was in heaven ...a drifter from town to town...

Now one day I wanna do the Grand Canyon and San Francisco bend....one day.....
    Veej....
    your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan
    www.enVogueiMages.com