WTF Jevco??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF Jevco???

Re: WTF Jevco???

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    But to try and compare between two different countries is idiotic.
    I'm not comparing the coverage, I'm saying the fact that I can't choose the minimum amount of coverage I want is bulls#it.

So what if I would be taking a gamble, why do you care? I would certainly opt for more coverage as I get older and considered "less of a liability" to insurers, because rates for better coverage would go down.

Getting back to the OP, yes, you are young and insurance is unfairly high. This is fact and cannot be changed by you or any of us. Now that you know this there is also no point in further complaining, and no point in comparing to US rates.

We are here to advise new riders. The best advice to reduce your insurance premium is to wait until you have had your M1 for at least 1 calendar year, as has already been stated. Your insurance premium will drop by a lot. In the mean time you can try for your G license.

There are many stickies and threads explaining why your premium is so high, and when your premium will drop. Suffice it to say that this will not occur very soon. Insurance is mandatory in Ontario, so you cannot ride without it.

Did a very quick search for the UK which has free healthcare too and found a 17yo with a 125cc bike paying 400 POUNDS per year in insurance...which seems to be a slightly cheaper than here (but possibly comparable?). The UK also has the same population more or less as Canada but has many more riders and a longer riding season.

Quote Originally Posted by jc100 View Post
    Did a very quick search for the UK which has free healthcare too and found a 17yo with a 125cc bike paying 400 POUNDS per year in insurance...which seems to be a slightly cheaper than here (but possibly comparable?). The UK also has the same population more or less as Canada but has many more riders and a longer riding season.
    Isn't riding a motor vehicle a norm in the UK? Maybe thats why its more affordable. Riding a bike here is a luxury/hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    A bike will cause dammage to anything it hit but compared to a 1 ton car it can only do so much.
    End rant/ whine and i wil move soon
    Look at your motorcycle insurance policy premium breakdown by coverage. Which one is the most expensive? (Hint: Accident Benefits). Now look at the definition of that coverage (Hint: Injury to you and your passenger on the bike regardless of fault). The Liability premium (for when you hurt other people) is very small in comparison to AB for motorcycles.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear View Post
    If an insurance company in the US can cover a rider like me (my friend who I mentioned earlier) for under $300 a year with fire and theft, then something is gloriously ****ed up here, where $3000 is the minimum I'm looking at.

It's not like Canadian insurance companies have to cover the free medical care I'd receive at Canadian hospitals if I ever get into an accident... With liability only, basically all the insurance companies have to pay out on is if some lazy ****ing cager looking to hop on easy street tries to sue because he has a sore neck from whiplash or some bulls#it even if he was at fault. Although that's a whole other problem...
    Complaining before learning about the topic makes you look silly. I reiterate -- there is TONNES of material on this very topic in the forum.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom01 View Post
    Viffer, don't you get sick of typing the same things over and over? Either your the nicest person on this forum or you love typing. Lol, nice of you either way. Now link the fellow to your insurance guide sticky!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    I do get sick of some topics (hence I write a sticky and just refer people); however, for people who really want to learn more about a specific topic, I enjoy explaining

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

My insurance is also $3000, I'm on a 599, so a standard bike and have my full GM, so you're rate isn't that bad. Oh and I just turned 19, so same age bracket
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Seems to me you are 100% fine with being your insurance company's b!tch.
    Yea, I'm a ***** cause I can afford my insurance. I'll be that ***** riding on my bike with insurance.

You have a lot to learn. You're only 18. 18 year olds think they know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    We're all in the same position. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except wake up to the realization whatever is causing this the public is screwed and no one really wants to fix the problem.
    +1. OP, you can 'rant' all you want but that's not getting you any cheaper insurance.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

I'm not comparing the coverage, I'm saying the fact that I can't choose the minimum amount of coverage I want is bulls#it.

So what if I would be taking a gamble, why do you care? I would certainly opt for more coverage as I get older and considered "less of a liability" to insurers, because rates for better coverage would go down.
    TPL is a minimum of $200K in Ontario for a reason. If you could reduce the limit further, you aren't gambling with YOUR money, but rather someone else's. An example makes this clear:

Suppose a young student "cager" opts for $25,000 coverage on his beater Cavalier and rear ends you on the 401, leaving you with Catastrophic injuries. You successfully sue the other person for $675,000 (not an unreasonable amount) for your long-term care, loss of income, etc. Now, it turns out that the other guy is still living with Mom and Dad and has racked up a student debt of $30,000. His TPL policy pays you the max of $25,000 and he obviously has no assets to liquidate to provide you with the remainder of the settlement. Where is your additional $650,000 going to come from?

FYI, I think premiums are too high in Ontario as well, but this is not the fault of the insurance companies. Premiums have been increasing due to the rapidly increasing cost of claims. If it continues, we will run into a problem of insurance availability in Ontario -- in fact, we are already running into problems. Since the Gov't defines the product and the courts define the settlements, all the insurance companies can do is price the product that these groups create. In order for premiums to decrease in Ontario, it would require the Provincial Gov't to redefine the insurance policy and to devise ways to eliminate the leeching of the system by some bottomfeeding lawyers and health practitioners. I've covered this in more detail in other threads.

Not to start my own rant here but we do not have free health care.It takes up the lions share of our taxes and people have to understand that before the system crashes do to cases of the sniffles and hang nails in the ER.
    Same mentality goes for insurance.Everyone wants to claim every scratch and dent on there car and scream lawyer over little accidents which hurts us all in the end.In the Uk where lane splitting is legal nine out of ten cars look like they've been keyed from being in traffic with bikes.Here people would go out of their minds and make claims expecting an entire new paint job because it cant be matched.
    Look at NB for a comparison,they have caps and there insurance is much lower as you cant just fling around lawsuits at will since little stuff just isn't worth the monetary gain.

So my 3 bikes will cause me or my passenger harm at the same time even if i can only use one at a time?note:i dont and would not lend it to anybody ( lend me your bike beforeusing this argument with me please )I still pay higest for accident benifit insurance for each?
    Last edited by djez; 10-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Im with jevco and i get best rate with them for one of mybike.
    : tip get married i think they offer less premium for married guys.
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Nice Triple AND Double post Viffer lol.

If you already bought the bike (Like me), you just gotta live with having it there and pretend you're riding it while you wait for your insurance to drop after 1 year. In the mean time, mod the bike to your liking. Complaining about the insurance won't get you anywhere. Either you pay the 3 grand, or you wait a year and hope you dont rack up tickets either (for a car).
    Risking getting caught riding without insurance just isn't worth it. Esp since you know you cant run anyways with a 250 :P

You know what's a cheap way? Getting your dad to get his motorcycle license, and have him insured then you go as second rider.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    You know what's a cheap way? Getting your dad to get his motorcycle license, and have him insured then you go as second rider.
    Oh boy.......
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Viffer would know more then me but I believe they quote your insurance by the highest risk driver on the policy in this case he would get the exact same quote.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

They still will base the quote on him. Assuming he lives @ the same address. If he doesn't, its insurance fraud.

Insurance fraud, the answer to everything...