Toronto to Front Royal, VA

Thread: Toronto to Front Royal, VA

Toronto to Front Royal, VA

I want to take US219 south from the border down to Virgina. Is this an overly optamistic destination for 1 day's riding? I'm meeting guys down there and if it's too aggresive a distance for one day then, I'l just break it up over 2 days. Also, anybody want to do this? I'm leaving next Wednesday or Thursday.
    Orange Krush: 2007 KTM 950 SM
    Sexy Italian: 2009 Aprilia SR 50

Re: Toronto to Front Royal, VA

Quote Originally Posted by PaisaMed View Post
    I want to take US219 south from the border down to Virgina. Is this an overly optamistic destination for 1 day's riding? I'm meeting guys down there and if it's too aggresive a distance for one day then, I'l just break it up over 2 days. Also, anybody want to do this? I'm leaving next Wednesday or Thursday.
    Its a good solid one day ride. It's only about 800 km from Toronto, but the time you take will depend on how many stops you make.

..TOm
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Depends on how you ride. I have done the trip numerous times from Harrisonburg VA, which is a bit more then 100 kms south of Front Royal.

I leave early, 6-6:30 sometimes earlier. I am always home around 3 - 4 pm. Now this is non stop riding, and border crossings can add a bit depending on how busy you are.

Some really nice riding once you get away from the border and get further south.

As V-Tom said, it depends on how often you stop for breaks, fuel and food. I make much better time on my own, but once I travel with 3 or 4 people, I usually count on adding a few hours to my trip.

I was thinking of going down this weekend to do the Skyline but every weather forecast is different. Goggle maps put saddle time as about 8-1/2 hours IIRC. Adding for border crossings and pit stops makes for a long day but no biggie. There has been some flooding down that way but I believe it's further east. Floods, drought, forest fires, tornados etc. This has been a year for surprises from Mr. WX.

The weather forecast (Pack of lies) is better for next week. Warning! As soon as you cross the border at Buffalo you are in deer country. I actually saw a dead one inside the city limits. Ride safe.

Its not that gruelling a ride on a nice warm day - agree it doesn't take as long as Mapquest estimates for driving time. Also agree it depends on the rider - some people find 500 k's a long ride while others do 500 miles without blinking. Also hard to "guestimate" the weather this time of year though. I have heated gear, which makes long days in cool weather still comfy. Lots of October mornings I've headed off at daybreak I wouldn't be so anxious to do without my heated gloves.
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa

If your not in a rush I would take a day and a half to get to Front Royal. If you do it in one day you're going to miss some of the great Pennsylvania roads like 44 and 144. Your pace through those roads can be quite a bit quicker than what you'll be able to do on Skyline and the Blue Ridge. If you make the Harrisburg PA area your first overnight you can easily slab it on 81 to Front Royal in a bit more than 2 hours and spend the rest of the day on the twisties. It all depends on how much time you have.

Also, dress for some chilly weather. Even though your going south it can still be pretty cool at elevation.
    "You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime." (Burt Munro)

I did this back in July
    I left Winchester at 3pm and was home at 12:30
    i didnt push it too hard and i didnt stop to eat so ya 9 10 hours is pretty doable

I did this run four years ago from Barrie, took us 12 hours with a two minute border crossing. From TO likely going to take you 10-11, 219 has a lot of small towns that slow you down. Its going to a full day but doable.

I did this trip in June. I left Aurora at 6:00 a.m. and got to Front Royal at 6:00 pm.

Two things slowed me down: 219 and short stops every 90 minutes.

219 is brutally slow through PA. I did the BRP from Front Royal to Roanoke and it took me about 7 hours.

I learned from my trip that you have to blend in a little bit of Interstate travel to your plans if you want to cover a lot of ground in a short time. (My trips are usually 4-5 days.)
    Aurora

I just came back through the Blue ridge on monday at Roanoke to Toronto in less then a day. did the skyline drive and 219 .
    The blue ridge is so heavy with fog we got from Ashville to Roanoke in a day . 283 miles. Could barely see 15 to 20 feet
    in front of you . Was a very long day and hard ride. As to Roanoke to end of Skyline Dr . It was only about a quarter of the
    day that you are driving through the fog or clouds. Make sure that you check the weather before u go . On wed they were going to have flash flooding and rain most of the day . That is why we rode all the way back. good luck and have fun if u go.

Thanks, everybody! From everyone's comments I'm confident that I can do the ride in 1 day. Planning on leaving at 7 am. I'm doing the ride on Orange Crush (KTM 950) so I need gas every 225-250 kms because the previous owner changed the gearing. I'm actually going to Winchester, VI. I figure 3-4 tanks of gas and I'll be there. Combine food and washroom breaks with gas and I should be all right to get there in early evening.

If you ride the Skyline Drive, stay near the 35MPH speed limit.
    You know why I am telling you this.

That requirement makes the entire Skyline Drive a 3-hour ride,
    which may be more of Virginia's hills than you need, but of
    course the decision is yours.

Speed limits on the Blue Ridge Parkway vary from 35 to 45 MPH,
    and many vehicles are doing almost 50 MPH, not much more.

Enjoy your ride. In Virginia, "ABC On/Off" means they sell booze.
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

What bike yer riding make the diff - is she gonna give you miles of comfy or pain

Pete, you've nailed it! That's the thing, Orange Crush ain't exactly a GoldWing! I figure every 225 kms I need gas, washroom, and a 15 minute walk. Anybody here use a sheepskin seat cover?

sheepskin seat cover?......I don't have one but i hear great things about them.
    its a pitty the way your going cause after Elkins is the best part of the ride for the 219.
    only other thing i can add is dress warm....leaving at 7am is a good idea but its pretty cool then.
    one of the towns i loved on that part of the 219 is Ellicotteville.
    nice little town
    anyway enjoy your ride and watch your speed and you should be there in time for diner

I'm planning on heading down that way on Thursday after voting but via Ohio and across to Virginia and straight back. However I just realized that it's a long weekend. Thanksgiving for us and Columbus for them.
    I wonder what that will do to traffic coming back, especially at the border. Maybe I'll hang back another day.
    Now I have to rethink packing the Goldwing. If I want to be able to lock up my helmet I won't have room for the expresso maker.

I won't have room for the expresso maker.
    Now there's someone who travels in style :
    Wonder if the buddy bag on the Burgman will fit mine??......hmmph likely French press pour moi.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Just a heads up on the deer concern. It's autumn so they migrate more and the days are shorter so the dawn to dusk riding days are shorter. If you're trying to stretch the day you will end up riding in the dawn / dusk periods where they are a bigger problem.
    Don't underestimate the timing though. I just about ran into a doe and two fawns mid day in PA. My other close encounter was mid day as well.

Yup was one on the side of the road up near Campbellville around 9 pm tonight - got within a few yards before she spooked and fortunately went into the bush instead of across the road.
    Would not have had time to brake.......
    Fearless said he saw one on the same road.... Liesl I think west of Campbellville runs along the 401 part of the way.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here