Collections Calls, But They Have The Wrong Number......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collections Calls, But They Have The Wrong Number......

Collections Calls, But They Have The Wrong Number......

I've gotten a few voicemails recently from 'C.S. Financial' regarding my 'file' and it's very important that they speak to *John Doe* (The person they are looking for has the same name as me....which isn't really that uncommon of a name.) immediately to resolve the issue. I've always ignored the messages as a possible scam and deleted them.
    Lastnight just before 9:00pm I got another call from them and this time I spoke with a real person. He asked to speak with *John Doe* and I said yep, that's me. He then asked me for my birthday and mailing address. I told him that I'm not giving him any of my personal information because he was the one calling me and I have never heard of this company, and due to the amount of phone scams I wasn't giving him anything.
    As I was on the phone, I googled C.S. Financial and found out that they're a short term money lending place in Edmonton. So I tell the guy that I've never been to Edmonton and I've never taken a short term pay day loan before and he has the wrong number. He keeps hounding me for my birthday and address and when I refused again he started screaming at me!! He said, We've got your number now and until you prove to me that you're not the person we're looking for we are going to call you every single day!!! And then he hung up.
    He was screaming so loud that my wife, who was sitting on the other side of the room could hear everything. She wants me to call the Police and file a report......

So, here's the question to you:
    Since they obviously have the wrong person, what can I do to get them to stop calling? Keep in mind that I'm not willing to give them any of my personal information! I shouldn't have to prove that they have the wrong person!
    Since I have this ********** phone number and extension, should I call him every so often and just **** with him?
    Or should I do as the wife suggested and file a report with the Police and let them handle it?
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Re: Collections Calls, But They Have The Wrong Number......

Record the conversations...

Straight out of school, in the mid '90's, in the middle of an awful recession, with no other options, I took a job at a 3rd party collections company. I didn't last a year - it was horrible. But I did learn a lot about the system.

Your best bet, and the one that will get the quickest results, will be to file an official complaint with the Ministry of Consumer Services. http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Page..._Agencies.aspx

The Ministry can revoke a company's license to collect, and they are very, very effective.

Don't bother with the police. They won't care, and won't do anything.

Don't mess with the company. They get paid to do this, and you don't. You'll lose, as they will enjoy it and you won't. You know the saying - don't wrestle with a pig, because you'll just get dirty and the pig will like it??

I understand that you feel that the burden of proof is on them to prove that you're the right person, but you are going to have to accept that this isn't the case. You WILL have to prove that you are not the person in question. You may not feel like this is your responsibility, but if you want the calls to stop, you're going to have to bite the bullet.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Do u have caller ID?
    Resident Loudmouth

Don't give them any information, unless you're under court order to do so. Block their calls - if they do get through, do as link suggested - record the call. Tell them that the calls are offensive, upsetting and disruptive to you and your family and ask that they stop calling immediately. Find out what the callers name is and ask to speak to a supervisor or manager. Record as much detail as possible.

oooo....i love these calls, but it all depends on how much patience/time you got...first, call the local police station and ask about filing a report on these types of calls, or someone on here that knows better will point you in the right direction...as for the continuing calls, well, don't give them a thing, not a shred of personal information, but write down a list of questions to garner as much information about the person they are calling about...and always get all the information about the person that is calling...first and last name, id number, title, department, anything you can think of...make a list and write it down...even if it is the same person, make them jump through the hoops, spell everything slowly...and ALWAYS remain calm, never ever let them get the better of you...have fun...

We also get a similar message but automated message looking for someone with a different name and asks us to call them to settle. I have never called but let us know how you resolve this. It is a real pain in the neck as I it messes up our last call display. We were on vacation for 3 weeks and that number must have called 25 times. You should publish their number and advertise that they are giving away money or something and see if they like being called.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Do u have caller ID?
    Yes, but it comes up as 'International' and doesn't list a number. The only phone number I have for them is the one the guy gave me on the phone.....which is a different number than what's on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    oooo....i love these calls, but it all depends on how much patience/time you got...first, call the local police station and ask about filing a report on these types of calls, or someone on here that knows better will point you in the right direction...as for the continuing calls, well, don't give them a thing, not a shred of personal information, but write down a list of questions to garner as much information about the person they are calling about...and always get all the information about the person that is calling...first and last name, id number, title, department, anything you can think of...make a list and write it down...even if it is the same person, make them jump through the hoops, spell everything slowly...and ALWAYS remain calm, never ever let them get the better of you...have fun...
    This is more what I had in mind! I like ****ing with people.....and it's more fun when they're ****** off! I may just do this.... But you're right, I'm not giving them ****!
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

February 29th, 1972.

10 Yonge Street, Toronto.
    M5E 1R4

Wrong John Doe, Go Away.
    --
    Killing you and giving you good advice aren't mutually exclusive.

^^I would just ignore his calls if I'm busy. Don't want to go thru the hassle.
    Or if u're bored:
    -Tell him "please hold"
    -open a beer
    -watch some TV
    -check your email
    -make dinner
    -see if he's still there
    Resident Loudmouth

Ask him what bithdate they have on record. Sorry not me. Call again and you will be charged.
    How do you know this isn't a scam? I'm from Microsoft and need to access your computer.

OP, you don't have to give this collection agency any information. It's not your job to prove them wrong. Threaten them with a harassment charge if it persists.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Yeah, I'd just mess with him, too. Maybe give him some fake info or something. Maybe pretend not to speak English for awhile but then answer a question in English out of nowhere and act confused when he tries to call you on it. I'm sure you can think of something. Maybe get an address to send a cheque to but instead just mail them coupons and stuff, lol. Get a fax number and fax them black sheets or something, heh.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

friend used to get these things all the time. He advised them that all correspondence MUST be through mail only. (they have to honor that)

Here's a better question. What it IS you and someone managed to access all your information and stole your identity? have you pulled up your credit rating lately?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

As a former Credit Counsellor at National Collections for a major bank

DO NOT IGNOR THE CALLS!! If it isn't you then clarify why they think it's you and resolve the issue. Suppose you're a victem of identy theft, you won't know until something like this happens and they can be reporting derogotory info on your credit bureau in error.

They should provide proof of the debt you incurred. i.e. major purchase of cash advance in another province

Then you can prove to them that it wasn't you because you were in another province etc. They have teams of investigators to investigate fraud claims. They can review cameras from the location in question and compare it to your Divers License photo if need be. But you wont know until you try and resolve it with them.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Ask him what bithdate they have on record. Sorry not me. Call again and you will be charged.
    How do you know this isn't a scam? I'm from Microsoft and need to access your computer.
    I did ask what the birthday on file was and he said he couldn't tell me because then he might be giving me someone's personal information...but he wants me to give out my personal information to him....

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    friend used to get these things all the time. He advised them that all correspondence MUST be through mail only. (they have to honor that)

Here's a better question. What it IS you and someone managed to access all your information and stole your identity? have you pulled up your credit rating lately?
    I get a phone call every time someone does anything close to a credit check on me so it's very unlikely that someone was able to steal my identity!

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    I get a phone call every time someone does anything close to a credit check on me so it's very unlikely that someone was able to steal my identity!
    FYI - that's a feature offered by the credit bureau agencies and they do expire. It's reffered to Bill 152, this is a process that should be followed by the Lender. It doesn't guarantee that they will follow it.

Stop thinking that you don't have to deal with them and it can't possibly be you. Just address the issue and it will go away. If its not you prove it and move on. Why screen your calls for the next 3 yrs?
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Why not just have some fun with it? You've already indicated your not the gentlemen they're looking for. The person has already become belligerent. So when they call you, either a) ignore it, or b) toy with him. Tell him you need more money. Tell him you're not paying him. Tell him to take you to court, etc. At the end of every conversation, reaffirm you do not want him calling anymore.

Unless, of course, you can get into legal trouble for it. Then don't toy with him. But I couldn't see how you could.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Just wait until they start to garnishee your wages, then try to fix it when you can't pay your bills and your credit is going down the tubes.

I don't know if they can legally do it and someone else might know better if they will try.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

only the government agencies can garnish your wages after its gone through court, or the court agrees to garnish your wages from a 3rd party request, but in either case, theres a hearing and a court date...

if you start getting court dates and subpoeans and you STILL ignore it, then you can really get into deep water.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm