how does high side happen... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how does high side happen...

Re: how does high side happen...

you shouldn't be touching your clutch at all in these situations.

pulling in the clutch is actually causing a no-decel condition, which would be the same as maintaining throttle, but with the clutch in, the bike will be more difficult to control(bikes turn better under power than then do with no power)

you can achieve the same result by rolling on the throttle, you should not be coasting through turns, when you are off the brakes, you should be back on the gas, even if it is simply maintenance throttle(slightly cracked, on real drive forward)

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    you shouldn't be touching your clutch at all in these situations.pulling in the clutch is actually causing a no-decel condition, which would be the same as maintaining throttle, but with the clutch in, the bike will be more difficult to control(bikes turn better under power than then do with no power)you can achieve the same result by rolling on the throttle, you should not be coasting through turns, when you are off the brakes, you should be back on the gas, even if it is simply maintenance throttle(slightly cracked, on real drive forward)
    Cool, thanks for the info. The last couple track days I was trying to do this more.. especially turn 6 over the bumps. I just find that my bike is so jerky getting back on the gas... could use a 2nd throttle position sensor tweaking perhaps, maybe throttle cable adjustment.I know what you're saying on the no-decel condition, and the way the handling of the bike changes. I wasn't sure if it was desirable to have this for just a brief moment at the apex or not, but after seeing Stoner just power sliding the **** out of his bike at the apexes this year, I can see how there are clearly better ways to get through a corner than using the clutch. Also just for the record I never actually pulled the clutch in all the way, but just enough to give me the sensation of the bike starting to roll a little bit free of the engine.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

ETR,

The clutch had NOTHING to do with that video.

The rider stayed on the bike as a result of pure luck and good grip strength, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    ETR,

The clutch had NOTHING to do with that video.

The rider stayed on the bike as a result of pure luck and good grip strength, nothing else.
    It did, two things he did that were smart, he held on tight as hell and pressed the clutch in for the one or two seconds, this is how anyone with experience or even little common sense can figure this out, or even by doing their own research by watching accidents if the experience is not there, is that either two things happen on motorcycle crashes, the rider either pulls the clutch in for the important one or two seconds saves as much as he can, or he didn't and pulled the throttle due to their body being thrown around and the bike takes control over the rider and rider looses complete control. Pulling in the clutch is for that one or two seconds a rider is out of control, and it is just one small tiny aspect of saving oneself from something more disasterous, and it is used with a combinations of other task to save an accident. You make it seem like clutch is useless, yet it is the most important thing on the bike, its what makes the transmission work, the bike move to higher gears and speed, and used to do alot more, and one of its jobs is to keep you in control in a mishap if possible.

I wouldn't be caught dead around a rider or even a driver who believes in pure luck as their tool for surviving or avoiding a crash "i guess i was right people waist their $400 at these motorcycle training courses when they don't even teach people this simple thing". I'm alive because i taught myself how to stay alive, not because i was lucky.... That rider did all the work, can you see or are you blind? it wasn't luck that made him grip on the bike so hard, it wasn't luck that made him hold the bike up while draging his feet beside it and then jumping back up to get back on the bike when it was safe! lol

Luck is when a guy crashed, goes under a car and the car blows up and he survives it, that is luck, luck essentially is a higher force that helps a person out, i.e luck! not when someone helps themself by having years of training and skill and doing an amazing job of saving a crash or avoiding one, saying this was luck is a direct insult to this professional rider.

ETR,

The crash (and the luck involved) had already happened when he pulled in the clutch.

You are incorrect in this instance(and in general when speaking of the cause of and solution to a highside condition)

sounds to me like you guys are arguing about different things:

one side is talking about how to prevent the highside while you're still somewhat in control of the bike, and the other side is talking about how to save the bike after you're already out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by soto View Post
    sounds to me like you guys are arguing about different things:

one side is talking about how to prevent the highside while you're still somewhat in control of the bike, and the other side is talking about how to save the bike after you're already out of control.

Once the event has taken place, even the best in the world are relegated to hanger's-on.

Noobs - Please listen to Reciprocity and Caboose! We don't need to be picking your body out of the weeds.

By the way, a little rear wheel wiggle is not unusual if your bike has power. Simply stay calm, stay on the throttle (don't chop it) and enjoy the ride - you're good.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Noobs - Please listen to Reciprocity and Caboose! We don't need to be picking your body out of the weeds.

By the way, a little rear wheel wiggle is not unusual if your bike has power. Simply stay calm, stay on the throttle (don't chop it) and enjoy the ride - you're good.

Sound advice.

Considering this the section for new riders.

It already been mentioned but is always good to keep in mind, enter corners slow and accelerate out. Get some track time to explore the limits.

Advance riding skills and very seasoned riders can explain all the fantastic methods of clutch modulation, braking and throttle techniques, body position but, the fundementals are just plain easy for anyone to follow.

Michael Jordan still had to learn how to dribble a basket ball before he played in the NBA. He also practiced and learned new skills every day.

Cheers.