feedback on 2003 dr650se

Thread: feedback on 2003 dr650se

feedback on 2003 dr650se

Just looking for some feedback on this bike. Good the bad and the ugly. 38,000 clicks alot for a bike like this? I have my eye on one for a good price. Thanks in advance
    Gary

Re: feedback on 2003 dr650se

I have a 2001 which is basically the same bike with different colors.

The consensus is that they're pretty bullet-proof so I wouldn't be too concerned with the mileage unless serious mods were done or there is evidence of abuse/neglect. That should be clear with a visual inspection + test drive.

I wanted a bike that is cheap/easy to maintain, and can do it all: commute, highways, twisties, offroad. I wasn't concerned about 2-up or long trips, which would most likely be uncomfortable. I was also looking for a DRZ400 (my first choice) but couldn't find a good deal at the time.

I love the bike and am real happy with it. I can see myself keeping it for years and doing some mods here and there to keep things interesting. The KLR650, DRZ400, and XR650L are all more popular than the DR though, so the general opinion is that those are better bikes. I've never ridden the KLR but based on the weight alone I would not consider it for what I want, and the XR is just way too tall for me (30'' inseam).

Any specific questions/concerns?

+1 on the above info. I will add that the DR is definitely better for the road when compared with the XR and DRZ. The KLR is just and elephant.

I love mine. Highly recommended. Good for long hauls, short hauls, dirt, asphalt, you name it. It is tiring on single track, but capable with the right suspension... just no 20ft table-tops lol. My favourite is road allowances and fire roads, but it is just as capable railing it up Southwood (in fact it is the bike you want for old 13!) or 518.

Check out ADVrider.com for all the DR info that you can handle.

I believe the bike has stayed the same from the late 90s so a whack of parts are available. (judging by my bank account statements...)

I think that I saw that bike like that on Kijiji. I had even communicated with the seller but I decided to go for a newer bike, just cause. I will hate myself later for passing that one up. I just bought a 2009 Dr650, off of kijiji, with only 2,800kms. It should be in my hands tomorrow.
    I have read up like mad on this bike. For me, it was between this and a klx250s. But I liked the bulletproofness and old school charm of the 650.

I was able to take it for a little test ride before I decided to buy the bike. I found riding a tall dualsport (even a short one like this) is way different than riding my FZ1. I was expecting a significant change in the centre of gravity, but I hadn't realized how different it was going to feel.
    This is going to be fun with a capital F. I can't wait to put some paved and non-paved kilometres on it.
    Last edited by RichinOville; 09-28-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: additional thoughts/ramblings

Awesome guys!!! Thanks for the great responses!!!!! Ok off to see if I can see the bike and make an offer!! Thanks again. Now i'm not so worried about the bike but my own safety once the kitchen witch see's 2 bikes in the garage!!!!!!!!! lol

"kitchen witch"... I am going to use that!