where to buy engine ice - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: where to buy engine ice

Re: where to buy engine ice

To the OP, I have a 1/3rd jug left in my garage but may need it. Unless Caboose knows how to stop water wetter freezing and damaging my engine, while i'm dragging my bike from Toronto to FL in mid Feb.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    So "It's snowing in Canada" is inaccurate because it doesn't snow here all the time.

Guess I learned something new today.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Cant believe everyone is having this argument yet again.
    Just so you know, there isn't really a pro- and anti- argument going on here. Just some people trying to get out some useful information on it's status, while another uses the opportunity to put on airs.
    There is no planet B.

I am not advocating using engine ice, except during winter trackdays.... even at US tracks where regular anti-freeze is allowed, I still use Water wetter in regular months. However in the middle of winter, it becomes a complete PIA, especially when temps can dip below 0 at night time.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Just so you know, there isn't really a pro- and anti- argument going on here. Just some people trying to get out some useful information on it's status, while another uses the opportunity to put on airs.
    Sorry just read the last few posts and it sure looked that way. my bad. Anyway cant you get it at Royal? Seems like a pia though to add it go to fl and drain it to add water.no? When we used to race Daytona we would just pull the drain plug and drive down and add water at the track, Then pull it again for the ride home. Forgot once and drained it at a reststop in PA. System worked fine then whats different now? Anyway doesnt effect me so debate on

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Sorry just read the last few posts and it sure looked that way. my bad. Anyway cant you get it at Royal? Seems like a pia though to add it go to fl and drain it to add water.no? When we used to race Daytona we would just pull the drain plug and drive down and add water at the track, Then pull it again for the ride home. Forgot once and drained it at a reststop in PA. System worked fine then whats different now? Anyway doesnt effect me so debate on
    I've thought of that but was concerned about not totally draining the system and having some left over water freeze. Did you blow the system out with air or just do a normal drain?
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I've thought of that but was concerned about not totally draining the system and having some left over water freeze. Did you blow the system out with air or just do a normal drain?
    I'm still not comfortable using any glycol based coolants on a race track (that's just me, if a track and org allow it i wont be get all uppity if someone is using it) so i'd have regular coolant in the bike, just 1L or so, during the winter and for the drive down there. When i got there i'd do a flush, fill it with water and WW. Before coming back dump the water, put that 1L or so of coolant back in, fire up the bike for 10-15 seconds then it'd be ok for the trip back North. A bit of a PITA for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Normally, whatever small amount of water left in the system after draining it will only be partially sitting in low spots in the system, where the water isn't confined from expanding after it freezes. Only water that is confined and prevented from expanding as it freezes will be trouble.

It's just like an ice cube tray that you put in the freezer. The water expands as it freezes, but because it's an open tray, the remaining water that hasn't frozen, has someplace to go, so the tray doesn't break.

Some engines have multiple points to drain water out of. My FZR has a drain screw at the lowest point of the bottom water pipe, which empties out the water pump and radiator and most of the water out of the top end of the engine, but there is also a drain screw on each side in the bottom of the cooling jacket in the cylinder block (engine is tilted strongly forward in the chassis on that bike - these drains are at the bottom on the front) so that you can get that last bit of water out of the cooling jackets.

Even so, where I lived before, I stored the bike in an unheated garage and I only drained it at the main water pipe. Enough water drains out of the cylinder head and block so that there's air space left for the water to expand as it freezes. Never had a problem.

N/P as long as its just a bit it just freezes with no issue its just when the ice has no room to expand its a problem. Have done it many times with many different racebikes and never had a problem.
    I was at Royal Whitby this morning they have a crapload on the shelf.

Kahuma Powersports in woodbridge sells it. I actually just put some in yesterday. I am kind of doubting this stuff though because people are saying the reason it's supposed to lower engine temps is because it's a higher percentage of glycol and it's missng the 2% lubricant found in most coolants. I guess I will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_himself View Post
    people are saying the reason it's supposed to lower engine temps is because it's a higher percentage of glycol and it's missng the 2% lubricant found in most coolants. I guess I will find out.
    That's actually opposite of the effect you'd see from a higher concentration of glycol. You should ask what type of lubricant is compatible with glycol, I'm interested to know as well.

BTW, This ^ is the GTAM way of telling you that people are not telling you the truth. At least I don't use (over-use) emoticons. :thumbup
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com