where to buy engine ice - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: where to buy engine ice

Re: where to buy engine ice

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Whoa .. whoa lets not get crazy here. There has been grumblings of us running Jennings again in the winter ..
    I'd love to go, I need insurance.

Brain - I was talking about US tracks and trackdays in particular.... not racing organizations and definitively not in Canada.

WERA does not allow it at any of their events at any track.

Some are ok with it. Some are not.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    WERA does not allow it at any of their events at any track.
    This supports my contention that the manufacturer of Engine Ice bought their way into having the AMA accept it, rightly or wrongly. (They have sponsored certain AMA roadracing classes in the past, not sure if that is still the case. "We'll give you $XXXXX to sponsor this class BUT you have to change your rulebook to accept propylene glycol, it is not the same chemical compound as normal antifreeze, etc etc" and someone didn't do their due diligence on whether it was slippery or not.)

Seems to be allowed in CCS and AMA. It is not in WERA, CMRA, WMRRA and LRRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyola View Post
    Ok. It's agreed that Engine Ice is slippery and as dangerous to have spilled on the track as ethylene glycol. Yet people on this site are still trying to justify its use at track days. Do you people have so little respect for your fellow riders/racers/track days participants that you would continue to use a product in your bike that if spilled on the track has a good possibility to cause a serious injury or death when you could just use water wetter? I just don't get it.
    Better take oil out of all those bikes too.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    Better take oil out of all those bikes too.

Oil is MUCH easier to clean and can be dealt with much more quickly than coolant.

Did not realize I was opening such a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Oil is MUCH easier to clean and can be dealt with much more quickly than coolant.
    But how dare you think so little of your fellow riders by running oil in your bike. Even if it's easier to clean and quicker than coolant......we're all losing track time for your costly mistake!

Anyway - with the new insurance laws, most of us probably will not be doing US trackdays anytime soon, so it is most likely a moot point.[/QUOTE]

For the uneducated , what new insurance laws

But how dare you think so little of your fellow riders by running oil in your bike. Even if it's easier to clean and quicker than coolant......we're all losing track time for your costly mistake!
    Little slow on the uptake this morning Kell???

When someone offers an alternative to oil that does not result in slippery pavement and offers the same, or better lubrication properties, myself and everyone else will use it.

There is NO alternative for oil, there is a VERY suitable alternative to glycol based coolants that provides the same, or better cooling properties and poses no risk if spilled.

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post

For the uneducated , what new insurance laws
    There are no longer any insurance carriers that offer medical insurance that is valid for trackday riders.

Travelers financial stopped this coverage last year and no other carrier has picked up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Little slow on the uptake this morning Kell???

When someone offers an alternative to oil that does not result in slippery pavement and offers the same, or better lubrication properties, myself and everyone else will use it.

There is NO alternative for oil, there is a VERY suitable alternative to glycol based coolants that provides the same, or better cooling properties and poses no risk if spilled.
    Are YOU a little slow on the uptake?

I'm not advocating use of engine ice. Just the dramatic nature in which he has attached an emotional response to anyone using engine ice.

Engine ice is bad. I think we all get it.

But on the interwebz....and at track days.....there are bigger fish to fry in terms of riders doing stupid things to jeopardize our safety.

Seems to be allowed in CCS and AMA. It is not in WERA, CMRA, WMRRA and LRRA.
    You haven't said anything to show the inaccuracy of metastable's claim that it can be run at any US track. You might as well have called him a liar and then walked away.
    There is no planet B.

But on the interwebz....and at track days.....there are bigger fish to fry in terms of riders doing stupid things to jeopardize our safety. [/QUOTE]

agree

But on the interwebz....and at track days.....there are bigger fish to fry in terms of riders doing stupid things to jeopardize our safety.
    Not too sure about that. I think that people running glycol based coolants (when they know they shouldn't) is one of those stupid things some riders do that jeopardize our safety.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    You haven't said anything to show the inaccuracy of metastable's claim that it can be run at any US track. You might as well have called him a liar and then walked away.
    Yes, I have. The very post you quoted states the racing org's that do not allow engine ice. The statement "You can use it at US tracks" is false.

Not too sure about that. I think that people running glycol based coolants (when they know they shouldn't) is one of those stupid things some riders do that jeopardize our safety.
    He didn't know he shouldn't. Now he does. We don't need someone crying about it on here.

Tons of people do stupid **** on the track they know they shouldn't. But probably tons of people run engine ice when they didn't know any better. But thanks to GTAM....now he knows.

Yes, I have. The very post you quoted states the racing org's that do not allow engine ice. The statement "You can use it at US tracks" is false.
    Unless you can show that any one of those racing org is a race track, then no, you haven't.

I don't know why I bother some times.
    There is no planet B.

Agree with the statements that those who use glycol regardless of consequences on the track are foolish.
    But should not some responsibility also be put on organizers , every tech inspection I do is the same regardless of organization
    Brakes , throttle are you using coolant , no , pass. I rarely see bikes checked for brake pad wear or worn or rusted out chains .
    Getting a chain flung at you at 150km is just as bad as coolant on the track, If the rules are not enforced , can we expect every-one to play by the rules, we have all seen the guy or gal show up at the track and tape lenses and go out on the track after riding to the track on the bike, can we really expect that these people are running water wetter for the 1 or 2 track days they do a year, I'm making an assumption here but me thinks organizers turn a blind eye to this for track day fee's . this I find dis respectful to other riders. off topic I know

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I don't know why I bother some times.
    Because you genuinely despise blanket statements?

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    Agree with the statements that those who use glycol regardless of consequences on the track are foolish.
    But should not some responsibility also be put on organizers , every tech inspection I do is the same regardless of organization
    Brakes , throttle are you using coolant , no , pass. I rarely see bikes checked for brake pad wear or worn or rusted out chains .
    Getting a chain flung at you at 150km is just as bad as coolant on the track, If the rules are not enforced , can we expect every-one to play by the rules, we have all seen the guy or gal show up at the track and tape lenses and go out on the track after riding to the track on the bike, can we really expect that these people are running water wetter for the 1 or 2 track days they do a year, I'm making an assumption here but me thinks organizers turn a blind eye to this for track day fee's . this I find dis respectful to other riders. off topic I know
    A few times this year tech inspections have found a lot of stuff even at the expense of annoying their customers. They don't have to check every little thing on every single bike to ensure safety, any more than border security has to tear down every car to check for drugs. They use good sense in pretty much every case.
    There is no planet B.