where to buy engine ice

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: where to buy engine ice

where to buy engine ice

Any one know where to get engine ice in GTA.
    thanks

Re: where to buy engine ice

Oh boy, prepare for the war to start again. This is the "track riding" forum. Engine Ice is a glycol based coolant. It is not approved for track use at any Canadian roadracing sanctioning body that I know of. Most track day organizers will not want any glycol-based coolant in the system, either.

Yes, I KNOW that the manufacturer of this product has somehow bought their way into being approved by AMA down south. The viewpoint here is that it's still slippery when it gets out on the track, therefore it is not allowed.

What you really want to use, and which is legal in all roadracing organizations, is distilled water and WaterWetter additive, which is a water pump seal lubricant and anticorrosion additive. You can get that, at Performance Improvements or other automotive performance shops. There are some similar products under other brand names. They are NOT glycol based coolants, those are not allowed!

So we can use engine ice then?

Canadian Tire in Milton has quite a few.

You can use it at US tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Canadian Tire in Milton has quite a few.

You can use it at US tracks.
    I genuinely despise inaccurate blanket statements.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I genuinely despise inaccurate blanket statements.
    OK Caboose - go ahead and make it accurate.

Canadian Tire in Milton DOES have Engine Ice
    Most tracks in the US actually allow antifreeze with the exception of 1 or 2. I don't know of ANY that do not allow Engine Ice.... but you might, so go nuts.

Did anyone think that maybe he just wants to know where to buy it? But you're assuming he's using it for a track bike just because it's in the track/race section.

Maybe he posted in the wrong topic area.

Riders Choice has it in stock as of about 2 weeks ago when I was there buying some for myself

Thanks for the response's guys , to clarify yes was planning on using it in a track bike, it is my understanding that the glycol used in engine ice is Propylene glycol not Ethylene glycol. this is why it has been approved by AMA

We've been around this discussion before. We know it's propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol. It's (apparently - I haven't tried it) still slippery if it gets out on the pavement. RACE doesn't allow it, SOAR doesn't allow it, Pro 6 Cycle doesn't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    Thanks for the response's guys , to clarify yes was planning on using it in a track bike, it is my understanding that the glycol used in engine ice is Propylene glycol not Ethylene glycol. this is why it has been approved by AMA
    True, it's made with propylene glycol, which is easier to clean up with water after a crash. It's slippery as snot on a doorknob, just like ethylene glycol, which is why you'll have difficulty finding a racing organization or track day organizer, that will allow it, in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    We've been around this discussion before. We know it's propylene glycol rather than ethylene glycol. It's (apparently - I haven't tried it) still slippery if it gets out on the pavement. RACE doesn't allow it, SOAR doesn't allow it, Pro 6 Cycle doesn't allow it.
    I've used propylene glycol based coolant (admittedly not "Engine Ice" brand name) in a street bike. It's just as slippery as ethylene glycol based coolant.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

OK Caboose - go ahead and make it accurate.
    You can use it at some US tracks with some US organizers.
    There. How's that?

Ok. It's agreed that Engine Ice is slippery and as dangerous to have spilled on the track as ethylene glycol. Yet people on this site are still trying to justify its use at track days. Do you people have so little respect for your fellow riders/racers/track days participants that you would continue to use a product in your bike that if spilled on the track has a good possibility to cause a serious injury or death when you could just use water wetter? I just don't get it.
    AM #299
    TZ250
    Racing 299 Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Garyola View Post
    Ok. It's agreed that Engine Ice is slippery and as dangerous to have spilled on the track as ethylene glycol. Yet people on this site are still trying to justify its use at track days. Do you people have so little respect for your fellow riders/racers/track days participants that you would continue to use a product in your bike that if spilled on the track has a good possibility to cause a serious injury or death when you could just use water wetter? I just don't get it.
    Yup, as long as everyone is aware of it. Just like having lights on at the track, it's not a problem if people are prepared for it beforehand.

Like everything it boils down to the risks/rewards. Riding a bike straight off the street onto the track has it's benefits, while on the other side of the spectrum organisers could require catch tanks, belly pans, safety wire, the whole shebang to improve safety but they don't. They draw the risk/reward line somewhere higher than Red Dawn does, but they still accept some risk for the sake of convenience. To each their own. Red Dawn is not for me but I don't view them condescendingly simply because they have different priorities than me.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyola View Post
    Relax , I had no idea it was a slippery , saw the website and figured if it was accepted in AMA it was fine. I run water wetter on the track. Knowing what I know now , will not use it. having said that in the last 5 years of track riding I have never had any of my bikes tested to verify if I was running glycol, so I suspect a few people just saw they run wetter when asked at the track .
    Maybe the track day organizations that have been listed should check all bikes at tech or at least do a random bike check.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    There. How's that?
    That is the case for Ethylene Glycol. As far as Propylene Glycol, I really have never heard of a track saying you can't use it. I have heard of 1 organization in California if memory serves me right, that does trackdays and required water/water wetter - but that's it.

Gary - I am not justifying using it. The OP asked if he could get it and I said yes and said that pretty much any track in the us he is good to go, which as far as I know is true. However, I will defend this bit, for traveling to the US for trackdays in the winter, IMO using Engine Ice is a handy option. One can say... you can transport the bike and change to water there, but that can be a PIA and create other problems. We had a couple of days in Florida (last year) with frost on our bikes and little puddles frozen over in the mornings. Unless you changed over to water the day of the trackday and took it out again every night, you would have been risking bike problems. Considering these tracks allow regular antifreeze, I think Engine Ice is the lesser of evils.

Anyway - with the new insurance laws, most of us probably will not be doing US trackdays anytime soon, so it is most likely a moot point.

As far as Propylene Glycol, I really have never heard of a track saying you can't use it.
    RACE, SOAR, Pro 6 Cycle all won't allow it.

RACE, SOAR, Pro 6 Cycle all won't allow it.
    The context of his reply was regarding US tracks.
    There is no planet B.

That is the case for Ethylene Glycol. As far as Propylene Glycol, I really have never heard of a track saying you can't use it. I have heard of 1 organization in California if memory serves me right, that does trackdays and required water/water wetter - but that's it.

Gary - I am not justifying using it. The OP asked if he could get it and I said yes and said that pretty much any track in the us he is good to go, which as far as I know is true. However, I will defend this bit, for traveling to the US for trackdays in the winter, IMO using Engine Ice is a handy option. One can say... you can transport the bike and change to water there, but that can be a PIA and create other problems. We had a couple of days in Florida (last year) with frost on our bikes and little puddles frozen over in the mornings. Unless you changed over to water the day of the trackday and took it out again every night, you would have been risking bike problems. Considering these tracks allow regular antifreeze, I think Engine Ice is the lesser of evils.

Anyway - with the new insurance laws, most of us probably will not be doing US trackdays anytime soon, so it is most likely a moot point.
    Whoa .. whoa lets not get crazy here. There has been grumblings of us running Jennings again in the winter ..
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

I use propylene glycol in my humidor, and yes it's slippery.... and will ruin a good cigar if it gets on one. lol.