21,569 km of North America solo on a sportbike: Summer 2011

Thread: 21,569 km of North America solo on a sportbike: Summer 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

21,569 km of North America solo on a sportbike: Summer 2011

Hey so I've returned from my ride around the continent and I've organized my pictures and story into a day-by-day blog for y'all.

ridermike.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Mike

Last edited by viper84737; 09-23-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Re: 21,569 km of North America solo on a sportbike: Summer 2011

Looks like I've found reading material for this wet looking weekend.

Thanks for posting.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Crazyness thanx for posting

Meticulously detailed, this looks great! You do however fail to mention the actual motorcycle you rode on the front page
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

You're welcome, fellas.

espro: fixed!

I haven't calculated the total spent on gas/food/motels, it's a lot of work going through my receipts, so meh, you know? I'll "get around to it" some day.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

What would you say was the most interesting day of the trip? Maybe you could pick out a few to link on the front page, going through 60+ is quite a lot
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by espro View Post
    Meticulously detailed, this looks great! You do however fail to mention the actual motorcycle you rode on the front page
    Really? Unless he edited the page.

Thanks for sharing ridermike. I am perusing your blog.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Really? Unless he edited the page.

Thanks for sharing ridermike. I am perusing your blog.
    Yeah, he edited it after I brought it up
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    I hope you see the Grand Canyon. I went to the South Rim, but I'm fairly sure the North Rim offers just as sexy a view. You can see the whole thing from both sides anyway, so it's not like you'd be missing out on much if you chose one over the other. Aside from that, I hope you ride through Colorado and Utah, and I hear the north end of New Mexico is incredible, though I only went across the south, which was really nice, too. If you go into Colorado->Utah, check out Arches National Park in Moab, UT. That whole area is insanely beautiful.
    Thanks .. I made a note of that. Can't wait for my turn . Let me ask you ... Now that you've done your trip ... Would you do it again? Would You do anything differently ?

Good lord you did this on gsxr 600? My back would've given out on me past London and I'm in my mid 20's!
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Good lord you did this on gsxr 600? My back would've given out on me past London and I'm in my mid 20's!

Lol.
    I have ridden a GSXR750 for up to 17 hours none stop recently except for gas and pee breaks and only had an uncomfortable bottom at times. It just works for me and the arched back position on a ss bike is great as all the energy from bumps is not directed up my spine like it would be on a cruiser for example.

Thanx for telling us about your ride. I am jealous also. Sounds a lot more fun than doing what so many do which is test their luck with the police in their own backyards every weekend.

I hope to do a few week long rides next summer in the U.S., to see places and sites. I once did a ride from Calgary to Toronto with only a 2 hour nap along the way, a few years ago on a GSXR750. Could not do that again. I recall it being 3,200 kms in 42 hours. Having so many gas stops is what adds to the time. If there is a next tme I will stop and see more along the way.

Riding is therapeutic!
    Last edited by Ikan; 11-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

So I guess you got a little bored and decided to go for a little ride eh?

Bookmarked this.

Thanks for sharing. Will look into it.
    * seize today as tomorrow may not come *

Thanks for sharing, hope to complete my trip too.

Great ride/trip..I am happy for you..
    Me? Don't have the knees to do it anymore, and have missed my chance..so your decision to do this adventure in your early 30's was right-on.

But on another note..seriously..nevermind the Guinness Record, just put a new frig fr tire on already..sheesh, doncha know the front is the most important one of the two? It owes you nothing....NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by nesobriquet View Post
    Great ride/trip..I am happy for you..
    Me? Don't have the knees to do it anymore, and have missed my chance..so your decision to do this adventure in your early 30's was right-on.

But on another note..seriously..nevermind the Guinness Record, just put a new frig fr tire on already..sheesh, doncha know the front is the most important one of the two? It owes you nothing....NOTHING!
    Haha yeah, I'm at 27,XXX km at the moment, first bit of warm weather we get, I'm slapping on a new front for sure! I spoke to Bridgestone, they couldn't possibly care less what distance was put on the tire, they said -- even the tech guys in Japan would just toss it in the trash and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikan View Post
    Lol.
    I have ridden a GSXR750 for up to 17 hours none stop recently except for gas and pee breaks and only had an uncomfortable bottom at times. It just works for me and the arched back position on a ss bike is great as all the energy from bumps is not directed up my spine like it would be on a cruiser for example.

I hope to do a few week long rides next summer in the U.S., to see places and sites. I once did a ride from Calgary to Toronto with only a 2 hour nap along the way, a few years ago on a GSXR750. Could not do that again. I recall it being 3,200 kms in 42 hours. Having so many gas stops is what adds to the time. If there is a next tme I will stop and see more along the way.

Riding is therapeutic!
    Holy crap, that's a lot of riding without much sleep! I'd certainly recommend stopping and soaking it all in, and staying off the superslab whenever possible. Riding is certainly therapeutic, but that stuff is mind-numbing!

Quote Originally Posted by djez View Post
    Thanks for sharing, hope to complete my trip too.
    Where are you off to, djez?

Same lookout point, 2 months apart...what a coincidence we stopped at the exact same spot in the middle of no where

Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)