HTA 172 and the Provincial Election

Thread: HTA 172 and the Provincial Election

HTA 172 and the Provincial Election

82Seca750 asked me to write up some sort of letter, that people could send to their candidates, regarding HTA 172. This is what I came up with. Hopefully it will be of use to you.

Dear (Candidate),

In 2007, the Legislative Assembly of Ontario passed into law, the section of the Highway Traffic Act that is colloquially known as “the racing and stunting law.” This law was presented, to the public, as a means to curb what was painted as an epidemic of street racing related incidents, causing death. There were, in fact less than a handful of such incidents, which were heavily played-up in the media. Certainly they were tragic, but not really out of scale with what normally happens, from year to year, and not requiring any sort of radical action. Yet all Members, from all parties, voted in favour of this law.

Since that time, many thousands of Ontario citizens have been robbed of their right of due process, when stopped by police for traffic infractions. Substantial penalties have been levied at the roadside, without benefit of a judge or justice of the peace, without recourse. The great majority of people, who have been charged under this law, have not been found guilty under it but have still paid hundreds of dollars for towing and storage, of their vehicles, and have been without them for a week. These people suffered from no impairment, which would warrant the removal of their vehicles and driving privileges prior to a finding in court, as is the case with impaired operation of a vehicle. In short, their Charter rights to both security from unreasonable search and seizure, and presumption of innocence, have both been abrogated.

I ask that, during this time of election, you take a stand against this whittling away at our Canadian way of life. Make it plain that you stand for something greater, than this sort of craven politicking, and that you would vote to repeal this unfair and dangerous law, or fundamentally alter it, in order to stop the travesty of roadside judgements.

With hope,

(Signed)
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 09-22-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Re: HTA 172 and the Provincial Election

Want this to be scrapped? Vote for the NDP

thanks Rob

imo...you email this to each candidate and if the issue is that important to you then you vote for the candiate who takes the issue seriously....party be damned

Very well written Paul...errr...I mean Rob. FML
    Last edited by JZ67; 09-22-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyBones View Post
    Want this to be scrapped? Vote for the NDP
    The NDP voted in favour of HTA 172 also. They all did. None of them have come out stating that they will turf it. Give them a push.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

This is awesome Rob, good initiative. Turbo, please stay out.

Quote Originally Posted by FitzR6 View Post
    This is awesome Rob, good initiative. Turbo, please stay out.
    Thanks. There's more that I could have said, that I wanted to say, but it wouldn't be read if I turned it into a book.

So far the only local candidate, who responded, was the Libertarian.

Where can you find a list of all available candidates in your riding? I could only find the main ones Lib, PC, Ndp, Green.

The CBC list is far from complete. Try here:

http://wemakevotingeasy.ca/en/find-your-candidate.aspx

Thanks for this, Rob. Just noticed that the Libertarian candidate in my riding was also one of my professors in university LOLOL

Remember; don't just use it, pass it on.

My pc candidate replied and stated he was firmly against what he called "Nanny state creep". But as Rob pointed out to me he also voted for the law when it was passed... He will still get my vote as he is the only one who responded and he at least said the right thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    So far the only local candidate, who responded, was the Libertarian.
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    My pc candidate replied and stated he was firmly against what he called "Nanny state creep". But as Rob pointed out to me he also voted for the law when it was passed... He will still get my vote as he is the only one who responded and he at least said the right thing...
    lol hey Politician dude do you hate the thing i hate? Ya.. you got my vote lol