Garage Floor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Floor

Garage Floor

I've been wanting to coat the garage floor for a while now....

would the epoxy coat be my best option? I am on a budget....

Re: Garage Floor

Epoxy coat will eventually peel and lift. Don't bother when any OTC stuff. If you insist on Epoxy coat, but the best product you can afford and be prepared for a lot of prep work. The walk behind grinders will best prepare the surface, but that is big $$$ to rent or pay for someone to do it.

If I were to do it again, I would use a tile setup. The epoxy will peel in certain areas where it didn't bond well because of surface imperfection, sticky race tires causing tire peel, etc. I spent three days prepping and bought some serious high grade epoxy, so it is not peeling because of workmanship.

There was a thread like this a while ago.... Wingboy has a nice setup, do a search he posted some pics.

You can try Bergo interlocking tiles. www.angel-wings.ca

+1 ^^^^

I did the whole prep thing bought all the chemicals they recommeded and it lasted one season.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

Is this a joke?

If the picture above is your garage, why the hell do you need to paint the floor?
    It looks like a hospital now, haven't seen many floors as nice as that man.
    Just slap a nice Harley sticker on the wall and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Is this a joke?

If the picture above is your garage, why the hell do you need to paint the floor?
    It looks like a hospital now, haven't seen many floors as nice as that man.
    Just slap a nice Harley sticker on the wall and call it a day.
    that pic is from this thread http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...?147422-garage

Wingboy did a project like that not too long ago...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...941-Need-ideas.
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

I currently have an epoxy acrylic floor with clear coat in my garage. It hasnt lifted and its been down for over a year and half now.

Its ALL in the prep work to make it work well.

Other alternatives you can look at, is something called G Floor from Costco. Thats the way id go next time, more than likely.
    Dont bother putting down peel and stick tiles at all .. what a pain in the ***.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

I had my garage floor professionally done - hand ground, acid washed, epoxy and non-slip agent applied. 5 years later, it's worn, bubbled, flaked up, etc - not worth the thousands I spent IMO. I'm going to look into the G Floor from Costco.

Hijack here but my problem is my floor has some deterioration / pock marks maybe 1/8" deep here and there. I roll my Goldwing around on a steel wheeled dolly and the divots cause me a bit of grief.

I don't want to R&R the floor or do deep dig outs of the damaged sections. Concrete finishers tell me that thin patches don't last. I was thinking of an epoxy maybe even JB Weld. Any comments?

Do you know what is on your floor now? Looks like paint? The epoxy is good, if done right...every stage is important, just like painting, you can't skimp on any one of the stages. If an epoxy is done right it will outlast you. Too bad if it is paint 'cause you have tO GET IT ALL OFF, you have to start with a raw concrete floor in order to have anything to adhere to it. It can be done, but don't even bother to try it without removing every inch of whatever is on the floor now. Anybody who is unhappy with epoxy has not had it done right, they skipped a stage or did not do a stage properly. There are other thing on the market now that you may be interested in that are similar to epoxy,(I dont know what they are called) so maybe google it. If what you have is half decent I would not screw with it. (my opinion...really, it looks o.k.}

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    Do you know what is on your floor now? Looks like paint? The epoxy is good, if done right...every stage is important, just like painting, you can't skimp on any one of the stages. If an epoxy is done right it will outlast you. Too bad if it is paint 'cause you have tO GET IT ALL OFF, you have to start with a raw concrete floor in order to have anything to adhere to it. It can be done, but don't even bother to try it without removing every inch of whatever is on the floor now. Anybody who is unhappy with epoxy has not had it done right, they skipped a stage or did not do a stage properly. There are other thing on the market now that you may be interested in that are similar to epoxy,(I dont know what they are called) so maybe google it. If what you have is half decent I would not screw with it. (my opinion...really, it looks o.k.}
    Yep. Prep work is what is making my epoxy floor last.

I think total total including prep and paint work for my floor was 4 days. On top of that i let it cure for a week before anything drove or went over top of it.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

I did the same as you inferno did everything by the book started on a monday, finnished the last coat on friday... didnt even step on it for a week...and this was a new house too, the cement had never been driven on. it was perfect til the kids started rollerblading through there skate boarding etc. and now that I think of it, the side where the race car sleeps...the low traffic side is still mint....so high kid trafic areas won't hold up I guess
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

2008 - 1098 Street, 2008 - 1098 Track....Milton

Actually the garage floor above is mine, and it wore well for about 3 years.
    Then one morning I went to roll the bike out to wash it after being caught in the rain the night before, and it pulled a large piece of the epoxy up, so this year I decided to tile the floor.....

Last edited by webb70; 09-26-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Put it on my tab, donut eater......
    (is that better ?)

Quote Originally Posted by webb70 View Post
    Actually the garage floor above is mine, and it wore well for about 3 years.
    Then one morning I went to roll the bike out to wash it after being caught in the rain the night before, and it pulled a large piece of the epoxy up, so this year I decided to tile the floor.....
    That's excately the size of my garage.....what did that floor cost you?? $$??

2008 - 1098 Street, 2008 - 1098 Track....Milton

The garage is actually 10' X 24', but I didn't feel like moving the bench and tool box, so I only had to cover 10' X 22'
    I bought the flooring off Kijiji from Clarion Canada after they used it for 1 trade show, total cost to me was $200.00, I couldn't pass it up.
    Put it on my tab, donut eater......
    (is that better ?)

the big problem in epoxy coating on residential garage floors, other than the obvious of bad prep work , is the expansion/contraction of the slab in winter/summer.
    Coatings work great in places like wallmart stores and grocery stores because there is little fluctuation in the building temp and the floor slab has thermal breaks, your average garage has the slab exposed under the door pulling in cold and heat.

if i was doing a newer floor that wasn't too abused I would use a concrete stain in a nice color and a silicone based sealer, looks great and cant peel or lift ever, its in the surface not on it. Its what you will see in most retail power center type stores, can be prepped, applied and done in one day. Under $200 for a single car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by webb70 View Post
    The garage is actually 10' X 24', but I didn't feel like moving the bench and tool box, so I only had to cover 10' X 22'
    I bought the flooring off Kijiji from Clarion Canada after they used it for 1 trade show, total cost to me was $200.00, I couldn't pass it up.
    what is that type of flooring called?

I did a fast-flor in my garage

http://www.fastflor.com/

was $2 per sq ft

holding up perfect after 2+ years and a total breeze to put down

prep = sweep and vacuum the concrete and then lay the tiles down

I have considered a lot of different things last year and at the end I decided to buy two large rubber mats they use in horse barns. So I was told. It's very heavy duty, about 1" thick. It worked really well, and it also is more pleasant to work on in the colder months. cost me about 80 bucks and was done in like 5 minutes .... This is for a garage which sees a lot of action including a car parked daily.