old bike needs insurance too!

Thread: old bike needs insurance too!

old bike needs insurance too!

hi all, any one out there know of any good insurance companies that insure vintage bikes? there must be some but who are they????

Re: old bike needs insurance too!

I insure my 1975 Suzuk with State Farm
    1975 Suzuki T500 - 2 Stroke 500 CC Twin

My '75 and '83 are both with Jevco.

ok thanks guys, i will check them out for quotes but i was looking for more vintage car auto specific companies, any one know of one?

These guys insure everything valuable and old. Agreed upon coverage. http://www.homeforchrome.com/classic...insurance.html

Is this an antique bike that will only be used to transport to/from shows and on weekends (i.e. heavily restricted use)?
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

no not this bike. possibly once in a while but it wont be strictly shows and weekend use by any means

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by wesnile View Post
    no not this bike. possibly once in a while but it wont be strictly shows and weekend use by any means
    Then you probably can't get classic insurance. Not sure if it's different for bikes but for cars unless you only use it to bring to shows and crap like that, your insurance is pretty much the same as on a new car and might even cost more than newer "better" cars. Even an old shitbox costs about the same as a brand new car assuming you don't have collision on either.
    Last edited by unL33T; 09-23-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by wesnile View Post
    You won't classify for an antique/classic insurance plan then -- you need to purchase a regular insurance policy just like with any other bike.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    You won't classify for an antique/classic insurance plan then -- you need to purchase a regular insurance policy just like with any other bike.
    Can you kindly elaborate on the stipulation for antique/classic insurance on a motorcycle? What are the riding restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    Can you kindly elaborate on the stipulation for antique/classic insurance on a motorcycle? What are the riding restrictions?
    I believe it varies by insurer. Essentially, it is meant for show vehicles only. If you plan to use it for any sort of transportation, then an Antique policy isn't for you. I'd just ask your agent/broker what their antique restrictions are . . . I think the majority of insurers in Ontario offer these policies.