cancelled motorcycle insurance because of change to my drivers license

Thread: cancelled motorcycle insurance because of change to my drivers license

cancelled motorcycle insurance because of change to my drivers license

more specifically, I changed my drivers license to Alberta since I work there. Before that I had my motorcycle and two cars insured with them. One of the car I brought over to Alberta and the other car and motorcycle is in ontario. The car in ontario is under my wife's name. But the motorcycle is under my name. I had the motorcycle insured with them while I was in alberta for a year, but for this year renewal they cancelled saying that my M license was no longer valid in Ontario because my drivers license was transferred to Alberta. Who and why would they do some mto investigation on me like that and get me on a technicality.
    Last edited by nvidia; 09-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Re: cancelled motorcycle insurance because of change to my drivers license

I believe they do a drivers abtract and other checks before a renewal just to keep things up to date... Like accident claims during the previous year or speeding tickets that they aren't aware of.

e.g.

You have two motorcycles and each with its own insurance co. Motorcycle #1 makes a claim but you dont tell the company insuring #2 so they will never know about it until they do a check.

At least thats my opinion as i'm not sure if insurance companies share information.

Re: cancelled motorcycle insurance because of change to my drivers license

You are supposed to switch your vehicles registration as well as insurance when you move. Even if your vehicle stay in the previous province (here, Ontario), they have to be plated/insured in the same province of your driving license (Alberta).

I got into this situation when moving from Québec to Ontario, its what they told me, the car follow you license, that's it.

About the check, if you crash your car, and it wasn't plated/insured in the right province, the insurance company would have denied your claim.
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL