Spark plug change interval - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spark plug change interval

Re: Spark plug change interval

Quote Originally Posted by mike.from.canmore View Post
    Say what now?

Clean oil and filter is somehow now bad for the engine?

Excessive replacing of oil/filter is a waste - this is true, but bad for the engine? not so much.
    Clean oil isn't bad for the engine - replacing the filter excessively is. Assuming the filter is rated for it, engine oil will be cleaner if you replaced the filter every 10,000km instead of every 1,000km. The build-up of crap in the filter reduces the size of particles that can pass through the filter. The penalty for the build-up is a more restrictive filter. At some point oil pressure will drop, and then after that the filter bypass valve will open. All of this is why some people replace the filter only every other oil change.

The K&N air filter relies heavily on this principle - a sparking clean K&N actually does a somewhat crappy job of filtering out dust and dirt.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

So who changes there filter every 1000km??? some guys i know do once per season, I do at every 5500km interval and i also use magnets on my filters , might be just as much smoke and mirrors but i feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by rider1106 View Post
    I'm estimating, just for the plugs, it will cost between $100-150. Should take an hour or two to complete at the shop and the plugs themselves are very cheap.
    I just replaced my spark plugs for the first time (due to this) without any prior knowledge of how to do it for any motorized vehicle. It was actually super easy. The hardest part was just getting the components off to access the plugs. Of course you need the right tools, but if you can invest the time and aren't afraid to get a little dirty, I highly recommend doing it yourself. You'll learn a lot about your bike and save big bucks. The plugs are between $10-$25 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    The plugs are between $10-$25 tops.
    I picked up some Denso Iridium 5367 (IU31A) spark plugs from Factory Pro for $15 each. They made my idle super smooth and gave me a little bit more throttle response! My bike had 23,000km's on it, and judging by the air filter, I'd have to assume the plugs were stock too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qymf0DEpE

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...