How to quit my job - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to quit my job

Re: How to quit my job

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    For them to actually hire a lawyer and try to "get you", wouldn't that cost more in the long run?
    Some people will pay whatever it takes, whatever it costs, as long as the other party gets nothing - just ask anyone involved in a divorce!

The part that people get really crazy about.. are non-competition and non-solicitation clauses.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

I haven't heard of any business that is willing to spend the $$ out to get an employee, it is just not worth it. It is even very difficult to get anyone fired in the first place. Most HR departments are on the side of the employee just in case he/she has legal grounds, unless off course the employee is a piece of work. I did have my share of working with pieces of "work" who ended up getting fired for sleeping and missing a change window, one of which sued the company and was compensated $2000, apparently they were rude when they fired his lazy *****. Thousands of dollars were lost that night because of him, over 10 professionals flew in from different states and provinces to do that change that was delayed by a week.

My advice to the OP is to be professional and courteous no matter how bad the workplace is, do not let the place set your standards, you set your own. The professional world is way too small, and reputation does travel fast when it comes to recruiters. You never know when the opportunity for a better job presents itself, or through who. In summary, be careful whose toes you step on today, they might be attached to the *** you have to kiss tomorrow.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    The part that people get really crazy about.. are non-competition and non-solicitation clauses.
    Well, in all fairness, if i am a contractor coming to do work for you, what will stop you from recruiting my employees "bread and butter" to get it done for cheaper? or in another scenario, 2 separate companies are servicing a client, one employee would like to jump ship from Company A to the company B that would impact the client who feeds both. There are places for such clauses and I am not sure I disagree with them.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Last edited by kanabis; 04-23-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Yup. That's why you make sure people know where they can find you. Answering the phone when it rings isn't soliciting a client.

'Course, it really helps when it is established that an employment contract is null and void because of the way it was set up to begin with, and notwithstanding that, that the employer is in breach of contract for failing to abide by the contract's payment terms. Not paying on time is generally a good way to make employees not want to work there any more

They typically ask for too much and end up with very shaky (at best) legal grounds. Even with that, I've seen a company go after employees without benefits ("contractors") over that in order to set an example. One company would lose every time but the potential victims knew the ringer they'd had to go through upon finding employment elsewhere.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    They typically ask for too much and end up with very shaky (at best) legal grounds. Even with that, I've seen a company go after employees without benefits ("contractors") over that in order to set an example. One company would lose every time but the potential victims knew the ringer they'd had to go through upon finding employment elsewhere.
    Hence why no "reputable" law firm would give an enforceability opinion in respect of non-comps.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.