M2 to m price diff?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M2 to m price diff?

M2 to m price diff?

I'm turning 25 soon and wondering if getting my full M will change my premium much? I was paying $120/month for my 2007 zx6r last year with only my m2. I sold it since. I think I was lucky. Just wondering if I should get my M first before buying a new 600?

Re: M2 to m price diff?

If you can do it, why not?
    You're better off to get your M as soon as you're ready for it since the M2 will expire.
    I still have 3 years for my M2 but I'm gonna get my M before winter.

It should help with insurance, but its not going to be like 50% in savings compared to M2 quotes.
    My gf called her insurance company to get a quote for a bike she just bought, and they didn't even care if she had M1, M2 or M.
    Just wanted to know how many years licensed, that's all.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    My gf called her insurance company to get a quote for a bike she just bought, and they didn't even care if she had M1, M2 or M.
    Just wanted to know how many years licensed, that's all.
    I got asked the same question last go round. They didn't distinguish between M2 and M.
    Steve

State farm said they dont care about license type, safety courses or experience. I got my M1 the day I got insurance and they said I would get the same quote as if I had 10 years experience and my full M.
    All they want is you over 25, clean record and to bring your 2nd vehicle to them.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    State farm said they dont care about license type, safety courses or experience. I got my M1 the day I got insurance and they said I would get the same quote as if I had 10 years experience and my full M.
    All they want is you over 25, clean record and to bring your 2nd vehicle to them.
    State farm is the one she went with because after calling 4 different places, they had the best quote for her bike.
    When I suggested to see if she can get a "discount" by bringing her car over, they were gonna cover her car for twice as much as she's already paying with her current company.

So now her car is insured with her current insurer, and her bike will be with State Farm.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    State farm is the one she went with because after calling 4 different places, they had the best quote for her bike.
    When I suggested to see if she can get a "discount" by bringing her car over, they were gonna cover her car for twice as much as she's already paying with her current company.

So now her car is insured with her current insurer, and her bike will be with State Farm.
    That sucks, My car was $5 more at state farm then where I was before but they gave me a $50 discount for moving the car to them so in the end I was up $45.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

She was told by the insurance company that I am with for my bike that she can call back in a year. The reason they quoted her high was because she got her M1 just a little over a month ago and her bike is over 250cc.
    There'll be a big difference in prices everywhere for her around this time next year.

where are you getting that price for that bike?!?

Statefarm but my parents has been with them for over 15 years and I've had 4 cars (one at a time of course) since I was 16 I will be 25 in 4 days. But I was paying $120 when I was 23.

If I bought a bike this season I wouldn't insure it until next spring regardless. Why pay for half a year? My parents has fire and theft on the house and I'm pretty sure that the unisured bike would be covered in that anyways.

I still got 2-3 years until my m2 expire I was just wondering next spring if I should get my full M prior to getting my insurance. Seem the vote is it doesn't matter. Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by daisoman View Post
    If I bought a bike this season I wouldn't insure it until next spring regardless. Why pay for half a year? My parents has fire and theft on the house and I'm pretty sure that the unisured bike would be covered in that anyways.
    Is your bike on their policy?
    Remember insurance for seasonal veicles is based more in the summer.
    If you were to put insurance on your bike now and say cancel it in the summer you would get money back, if you put your insurance on at the beginning of the season and cancel it at the end, You will owe big bucks.
    2001 CBR F4i

I'm turning 25 soon and wondering if getting my full M will change my premium much? I was paying $120/month for my 2007 zx6r last year with only my m2. I sold it since. I think I was lucky. Just wondering if I should get my M first before buying a new 600?
    Made absolutely no difference for me through Meloche Monnex. The only things they've cared about that I've done to reduce my premiums are:

1) Complete my motorcycle safety course
    2) Turn 25

Even if it does nothing for your premiums, you should still get your M anyways, just to get it out of the way.

Yes it was under their policy along with our life, their house and 4 cars total. I guess I got a bundle deal or something.

I was thinking of insuring it spring time and keep insurance on until I sell it.

Yea I'll get my M next season on my own bike. I was thinking of doing a exit course this year but I might as well wait and save money on my own.

Btw I also did the course at RTI.

I don't know of any companies who care whether you have your M1, M2, or M. In all likelihood, you will not see a drop because of your license class upgrade, but you will see a significant decrease because you are turning 25yo.

I suggest you just get your M anyway -- there's no point in delaying it, and it won't expire on you.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

My insurance didn't give a **** when I got my M.

I can't wait for my tickets to get off my record, to move out of Brampton, to turn 30....and hell...maybe I'll get married too. Anything to drop my premiums.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    My insurance didn't give a **** when I got my M.

I can't wait for my tickets to get off my record, to move out of Brampton, to turn 30....and hell...maybe I'll get married too. Anything to drop my premiums.
    Lol I'm from btown too. I heard we have the worst rate in the GTA probably the country.

Lol I'm from btown too. I heard we have the worst rate in the GTA probably the country.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

A friend of mine who has just got his M2, doesn't even have his full G, has a worse driving record and is trying to insure a Brand New R6 with Full coverage....and he is getting lower quotes than what I got for my '97 VFR750 with Liability/Theft.
    Cause he doesn't live in Brampton.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    and hell...maybe I'll get married too.
    This comes with a 500% increase to your electrical bill, gas bill, shopping bill, a 200% decrease to your sports watching, red meat eating and fun. And of course, a 1000% increase to you saying "omg, wtf was I thinking".

Marriage..not worth the insurance decrease.

Wowzers just turn 25 so I decided to call SF for a quote on a 2006 gsxr600 and with full coverage it's $85/month. This is making me really want a bike now