anyone heading to adirondacks or vermont in next few days..take it easy

Thread: anyone heading to adirondacks or vermont in next few days..take it easy

Thumbs up anyone heading to adirondacks or vermont in next few days..take it easy

Just got back from 3 great days of riding in the Adirondacks and Vermont. I planned the majority of my run based on what Ive read in this thread. {thanks everyone!} Obviously, unless you live under a rock you're aware of the flood damage and a quick google search will let you know what roads are still closed. Anywhere the roadway has been damaged has been well marked, or at least temporarily repaired with lots of advance warning that the pavement ends briefly. A couple of things i wasnt expecting though, is the amount of sand and silt that the flooding left on the road in spots which can pop up when least expected -- pretty much any road with flowing water near it will have some silt down somewhere. There are lots of places where the wide area on the apex of some corners is where a lot of the rock debris has had to be piled up until it can be taken away.... Plus, the force of the rushing water has bent over LOTS of the road signs...making them barely visible in the daylight, and just about invisible at dusk... It was still a great ride [my first] and thanks again to the member[s] who recommended the Upper Ridge Road, Tracy Rd 6, and Vermont 17 and 100. [i couldnt go as far south on 100 as i would have liked because it was closed at 125..but the 125 turned out to be a blast as well]

so for those who have been on those roads before, take a relaxed test run first before taking it up a notch!

Re: anyone heading to adirondacks or vermont in next few days..take it easy

What condition is 9N in and Lake George area? Any idea?
    "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every
    man's greed." ~~ Mohandas Ghandi
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

'09 Concours 14 The Ultimate Transcontinental Cruise Missile

Are you going to post up some pics and a map of your trip? Thanks for sharing the road conditions, I saw some minor flood damage while in Pennsylvania a couple weekends ago.

A washed out access road days after the rain...

This used to be a baseball field
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 09-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Koval_68 View Post
    What condition is 9N in and Lake George area? Any idea?
    I was there last weekend, and did some of the 9N. There was a closure around 82 heading south, but the portion around lake george was fine (only went down up to exit 24 though).

Thanks for the heads up!! I am actually planning a trip for this Friday/Saturday/Sunday and was considering whether to go north, east or west - I think I'll leave "east" for another couple of weekends!

Good idea - Fedex is still do ing warnings for the area for shipping delays.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Lake Placid
    I want to go to lake placid, I'm leaving on Sunday morning getting there Sunday evening, stay there at the hotel the northwoods for 89 a night, I'm staying there for 2 nights while riding around lake placid during the day coming back on Wednesday!!
    I ride a vtx 1800, who is in??
    VTX 1800R

Both Vermont and Catskill Mountains in NY were the worst-hit according to news reports last week. I was in the Catskills earlier this week and every creek and river bank from Binghamton through to Albany has been washed out resulting in the washing away of earth around tree roots and causing thousands of trees to simply fall over. At Binghamton the Susquehana River is normally 14 feet deep but crested to 29 feet.

Impossible to get a hotel room as some hotels were hit directly or every hotel not hit is fully booked as so many people are homeless. Whole shopping malls were partially submerged with a thick coating of river silt now remaining and covering the parking lots.

Waterlogged furniture is piled up along roadsides for garbage pickup and some wooden-frame houses, debris and propane tanks are still floating in the rivers. Some roads are either completely closed or down to one lane in places where the rivers have taken a slice from the road. I had to cancel some planned riding roads and detoured many times. But still well worth the trip since the quality and quantity of great riding roads beat anything in Ontario.

I could see this taking up to a full year to reconstruct as NY and Vermont have trucked in many out-of-state heavy machinery, utility and construction crews for rebuilding.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.