Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Re: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

bump

Only starts with the kickstand down and the bike on its side, if I bring it up to riding position while it is running it instantly dies. If I turn it off then on while in riding position and hold the kickstand out with my foot to simulate it being parked, it runs perfect. Kickstand switch? Brought it to Ontario Cycle Salvage and they said it seemed to be ok.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    bump

Only starts with the kickstand down and the bike on its side, if I bring it up to riding position while it is running it instantly dies. If I turn it off then on while in riding position and hold the kickstand out with my foot to simulate it being parked, it runs perfect. Kickstand switch? Brought it to Ontario Cycle Salvage and they said it seemed to be ok.
    Are you sure that you didn't wire the switch in backwards? Either that or the bike thinks that it's in gear, with the clutch engaged, when the kickstand goes up.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Are you sure that you didn't wire the switch in backwards? Either that or the bike thinks that it's in gear, with the clutch engaged, when the kickstand goes up.
    Yeah it is not in backwards, if that is the case what other sensors would need replacing?

Forgot to mention if I tilt it into riding position kick the kickstand up and pull in the clutch it starts but dies shortly after if riding (revving in spot + idling is fine).
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Yeah it is not in backwards, if that is the case what other sensors would need replacing?

Forgot to mention if I tilt it into riding position kick the kickstand up and pull in the clutch it starts but dies shortly after if riding (revving in spot + idling is fine).
    Well that's the million dollar question, isn't it? I think that I'd start with the tip-over switch, but I'm having trouble locating it in the manual.

*EDIT* I think I've got it. It's on page 5-89, referred to as the "engine stop relay."

The clutch switch, sidestand switch, and neutral switch should also be checked. You'll find them on 19-23 and 19-24.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 09-27-2011 at 06:32 PM.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks, tested the clutch and side stand switch for continuity as instructed in the service manual. Both tested ok, but I can't find the neutral switch. The manual depicts it as being right above the swing arm, beside the rear shock. I am totally lost here + the service manual does not have a page 5-89.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Sorry, it could either be the bank angle sensor, rather than the engine stop relay. OK, it could be the relay too. In my manual they are on pages 5-88 and 5-89. The bank angle sensor is what I was calling the tip-over sensor. It's located in the upper cowl area, dead centre, with a 3P green connector. It's held on by two nuts and is a box, with a rounded section below it. It could have been knocked out of place or damaged, in a crash. Some years back there was a problem with Goldwings randomly cutting out, which was traced to a bad bank angle sensor. It looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...-/220695027151

From the manual, it looks to me like the neutral switch is located under the gas tank. This is backed up by the comment, in the manual, that the throttle body has to be removed in order to access it. In other words it isn't an easy job, to check it.

Sorry, it could either be the bank angle sensor, rather than the engine stop relay. OK, it could be the relay too. In my manual they are on pages 5-88 and 5-89. The bank angle sensor is what I was calling the tip-over sensor. It's located in the upper cowl area, dead centre, with a 3P green connector. It's held on by two nuts and is a box, with a rounded section below it. It could have been knocked out of place or damaged, in a crash. Some years back there was a problem with Goldwings randomly cutting out, which was traced to a bad bank angle sensor. It looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...-/220695027151

From the manual, it looks to me like the neutral switch is located under the gas tank. This is backed up by the comment, in the manual, that the throttle body has to be removed in order to access it. In other words it isn't an easy job, to check it.
    I was hoping that would not be it Is there any bypass methods I can do to test if that is the part at fault once the front plastics are off?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I was hoping that would not be it Is there any bypass methods I can do to test if that is the part at fault once the front plastics are off?
    Not a bypass. Just a diagnostic.

Will have to do it tomorrow, not enough light now. Hope I don't mess it up! haha
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Did not get to checking the tip sensor...buuttt...

While I had the tank up to check the fuel pressure regulator, I decided to try it. Bike had 0 problems starting with the tank up (near vertical, tank on the vfr has a hinge at the back) while in riding position with the kickstand down or up. So it now looks like something to do with a component of the fuel tank. Thoughts?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

If you're lucky: Pinched fuel line or breather hose, causing loss of fuel pressure.

If you aren't lucky: A toasted fuel pump.

Check all of your hoses, against the manual, for location and make sure they aren't kinked. Check your fuel filter and make sure that it's clear. Make sure that the inside of your tank is clean and not full of rust.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 09-28-2011 at 08:10 PM.

If you're lucky: Pinched fuel line or breather hose, causing loss of fuel pressure.

If you aren't lucky: A toasted fuel pump.
    Was hoping it was not the pump...
    Would I need to replace the whole assembly or just the actual pump? The hoses did not look like they were getting pinched at all
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

check and clean the connection to the pump. i had a problem with my pump not getting enough voltage. also had a problem with my r/r toasting the battery - got the r/r from rmstator for 1/3 the price of oem
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    check and clean the connection to the pump. i had a problem with my pump not getting enough voltage. also had a problem with my r/r toasting the battery - got the r/r from rmstator for 1/3 the price of oem
    Thanks, will do tomorrow I ran out of connection cleaner. Also the R/R was replaced with a highly upgraded version with waterproof connections. Hopefully I never need to change it again.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Cleaned up the connectors a bit, but I think it fouled the plugs again Any shops around here that would be good?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

If it's fouling the plugs then it's getting too much fuel....no?

Are all the breather tubes that end at the bottom of the bike all unclogged?

Is the tank rusty? Anything in the tank clogging anything?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    Or no spark.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post

Are all the breather tubes that end at the bottom of the bike all unclogged?

Is the tank rusty? Anything in the tank clogging anything?
    All tubes not clogged, tank appears to have 0 rust.

Or no spark.
    Spark was tested and is fine once the plugs are cleaned off.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Now the bike runs ok with no break light bulbs plugged in, as soon as you turn the bike off, plug them in, and turn it on, it wants to stall. Mechanic thinks it is the R/R as someone at honda canada told him that the stock one controls the fuel pump??
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Mechanic thinks it is the R/R as someone at Honda Canada told him that the stock one controls the fuel pump??
    No. I'm sure no one at Honda told him any such thing.
    Your mechanic has no electrical understanding, the wiring diagrams aren't that complicated. Take your bike somewhere else.