Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Thread: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Rode fine for about 8km, got to a red light, died. Tried to start and only got a click from under the seat. Pushed it off the road onto the sidewalk, waited a few minutes, clicked the starter again and it started idled and revved fine. As soon as I moved it about 5 feet and got ready to get on the road it died again. MotoLimo towed it home for me, when I got home I hooked it up to a multimeter which read 17.5-18.3v with the bike turned off. While cranking the starter it would drop to 15 then go back up to 17.5-18.3v. Hoping that my multimeter is not broken, ideas?
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Re: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Rode fine for about 8km, got to a red light, died. Tried to start and only got a click from under the seat. Pushed it off the road onto the sidewalk, waited a few minutes, clicked the starter again and it started idled and revved fine. As soon as I moved it about 5 feet and got ready to get on the road it died again. MotoLimo towed it home for me, when I got home I hooked it up to a multimeter which read 17.5-18.3v with the bike turned off. While cranking the starter it would drop to 15 then go back up to 17.5-18.3v. Hoping that my multimeter is not broken, ideas?
    your multi-meter must be busted - cause 15 volts while cranking is not right (neither is 18 when bike is off).

Common problem with all VFR's....Regulator/rectifier...

Read this thread. It will help you out.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rical-Problems
    Last edited by gamma1; 09-12-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1 View Post
    Common problem with all VFR's....Regulator/rectifier...

Read this thread. It will help you out.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rical-Problems
    Thanks, will check that out. Will also try multiple multi-meters. Any chance it is the tipover sensor? As it did start again after sitting for a few minutes. What about the dying after moving a few feet? Would that all be the rectifier?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Replace the battery in your meter. Low battery could potentially give high readings.

IIRC the '99 VFR got a bigger heat sink, for the reg/rec.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Replace the battery in your meter. Low battery could potentially give high readings.

IIRC the '99 VFR got a bigger heat sink, for the reg/rec.
    Sounds like a good idea...tried another meter and it read 19.5-20.5v. How much does a R/R typically go for? $150?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Pictures of some connectors mechanic found, also narrowed problem down to the running light circuit

*the cut small green wire was done by him, to ground that circuit elsewhere to see if that solved it*
    Last edited by silverbullet132; 03-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I've had problems with those ground consolidation points (big orange connector) on other bikes, but yours doesn't look bad at all.
    I don't "see" any problems in your pictures. Did the mechanic find (and solve) the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by VFR.CBR View Post
    I've had problems with those ground consolidation points (big orange connector) on other bikes, but yours doesn't look bad at all.
    I don't "see" any problems in your pictures. Did the mechanic find (and solve) the problem?
    The problem is somewhere in the circuit for the running lights, because as soon as any light is plugged into those sockets and turns on (the running light) it goes from 14.6v charging to 15v.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    The problem is somewhere in the circuit for the running lights, because as soon as any light is plugged into those sockets and turns on (the running light) it goes from 14.6v charging to 15v.
    That is a significant clue.
    The problem is not in the lighting circuit. The problem is in the common ground. My guess would be that the ground has failed in another circuit and is grounding through the lighting circuit and that ground is overloaded. That orange connector you have could be the problem; check the Voltage at each pin with power on (use mV range) should be less that 100 mV (to battery -ve). If the Voltages are unequal, there is a problem in the connector. If the Voltages are high, but equal took towards the frame ground.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR.CBR View Post
    That is a significant clue.
    The problem is not in the lighting circuit. The problem is in the common ground. My guess would be that the ground has failed in another circuit and is grounding through the lighting circuit and that ground is overloaded. That orange connector you have could be the problem; check the Voltage at each pin with power on (use mV range) should be less that 100 mV (to battery -ve). If the Voltages are unequal, there is a problem in the connector. If the Voltages are high, but equal took towards the frame ground.
    Left him a message asking him to check that, thanks hopefully that fixes it, this bike has been out of commission WAY too long
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

It has been to two shops, rossy toes told me they could not fix it. Brought it home tried a few things, then towed it to the current shop where it has been since October-Ish. The wire harness has also not been swapped yet.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

God d*** man, It's amazing you still have hair on your head I would of lost it all by now lol

My guess is it's in the wiring harness. I mean you have way to many here and there problems. my guess is you cant notice it and it's shorting somewhere. like if it would only do one thing it would be simple but you have so many weird little issues that it's got to be in the harness somewhere.

make sure you stick a new set of plugs in when you try starting it after just in case it fouled them again. Running rich as it's dissadvantage lol
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Quote Originally Posted by DaFrEnCh-TiCkLeR View Post
    God d*** man, It's amazing you still have hair on your head I would of lost it all by now lol

My guess is it's in the wiring harness. I mean you have way to many here and there problems. my guess is you cant notice it and it's shorting somewhere. like if it would only do one thing it would be simple but you have so many weird little issues that it's got to be in the harness somewhere.

make sure you stick a new set of plugs in when you try starting it after just in case it fouled them again. Running rich as it's dissadvantage lol
    The plugs in it are pretty recent, so hopefully they did not get ruined again haha. Right now the issue is it overcharges when bulbs are plugged in to the running light circuit, will update if issue is still there once the stator is replaced.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Stator replaced but he now discovered the cover had been well messed up by the last owner. Found weld fixup spots, and I think caulking too. Told me when he replaced the stator it was hitting off of the flywheel rotor? Ordering a new OEM cover/gasket tonight/tomorrow.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Cover replaced, waiting for final word Hopefully this bike has been fixed...
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold