Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Re: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

if the brake light is causing this i'd guess on a short. if the draw of the brake light is enough to cause a stall and you want to prove out it's not the draw of the brake light pull out the front signal lights or possibly a head light and leave the brake light in. it's also easy enough to test the r/r with a multimeter.

if you need an r/r i recommend rrstator, they are a canadian company and their r/r is about 1/3 what honda charges. not as cheap as the ones out of china on ebay but you know where you're buying from. they have sales on ebay cheaper than their web site
    Last edited by CruisnGrrl; 01-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    x

Early fuel injected Blackbirds were prone to a harness plug corrosion issue that would cause things similar to this. Does anyone know if the VFR had any similar issues?

Quote Originally Posted by shewie View Post
    Early fuel injected Blackbirds were prone to a harness plug corrosion issue that would cause things similar to this. Does anyone know if the VFR had any similar issues?
    Yeah, the VFR's had corrosion/melting issues around the Stator, Starter Relay, and R/R plugs.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Pictures of some connectors mechanic found, also narrowed problem down to the running light circuit

*the cut small green wire was done by him, to ground that circuit elsewhere to see if that solved it*
    Last edited by silverbullet132; 03-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I've had problems with those ground consolidation points (big orange connector) on other bikes, but yours doesn't look bad at all.
    I don't "see" any problems in your pictures. Did the mechanic find (and solve) the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by VFR.CBR View Post
    I've had problems with those ground consolidation points (big orange connector) on other bikes, but yours doesn't look bad at all.
    I don't "see" any problems in your pictures. Did the mechanic find (and solve) the problem?
    The problem is somewhere in the circuit for the running lights, because as soon as any light is plugged into those sockets and turns on (the running light) it goes from 14.6v charging to 15v.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    The problem is somewhere in the circuit for the running lights, because as soon as any light is plugged into those sockets and turns on (the running light) it goes from 14.6v charging to 15v.
    That is a significant clue.
    The problem is not in the lighting circuit. The problem is in the common ground. My guess would be that the ground has failed in another circuit and is grounding through the lighting circuit and that ground is overloaded. That orange connector you have could be the problem; check the Voltage at each pin with power on (use mV range) should be less that 100 mV (to battery -ve). If the Voltages are unequal, there is a problem in the connector. If the Voltages are high, but equal took towards the frame ground.

That is a significant clue.
    The problem is not in the lighting circuit. The problem is in the common ground. My guess would be that the ground has failed in another circuit and is grounding through the lighting circuit and that ground is overloaded. That orange connector you have could be the problem; check the Voltage at each pin with power on (use mV range) should be less that 100 mV (to battery -ve). If the Voltages are unequal, there is a problem in the connector. If the Voltages are high, but equal took towards the frame ground.
    Left him a message asking him to check that, thanks hopefully that fixes it, this bike has been out of commission WAY too long
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

All of them are like 0.4-0.7mV he says, just checked them. Also cleaned all the grounds except the one at the back right corner of the bike, that is impossible to get to without disassembling the tail section.
    Last edited by silverbullet132; 03-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Stator turned out to be bad...27v on one phase, 45v on another, and about 80v on the last one. Could this be what is causing the problems?

Ordering a Rick's stator Monday, unless RM stator is better?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Stator turned out to be bad...27v on one phase, 45v on another, and about 80v on the last one. Could this be what is causing the problems?
    No.
    Did you try running the bike with the stator disconnected? Did it make a difference?
    No, it didn't. A defective stator would cause charging problems.

No.
    Did you try running the bike with the stator disconnected? Did it make a difference?
    No, it didn't. A defective stator would cause charging problems.
    Ah. Well the stator needs to be replaced anyways, no biggie.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Do not have a bigger battery to hook up. Did charge up a known good battery from my v45 sabre to 13.2v, put it in, same problem.

Going to take it back to Rosey Toes, as this is what the bike was doing before I bought it and they were supposed to fix. (their fix did work, for about 8kms)
    Took it to the mechanic, it is fouling plugs and running rich + backfiring. Had to leave it there for the night

Edit: He took it out for a ride today, said it worked perfect for about 30 mins then started to bog out and die. Fuel pump?
    Got it back today, now I am 90% sure the battery is the root of my problems. It starts fine and holds 13.5v-ish at idle and 14.2v-ish at 5000rpm. Sometimes while running the multimeter would read 0v off the battery then it would go back up to 14.2v. Hopefully a Canadian Tire has the battery in stock, so I can swap it.
    bump

Only starts with the kickstand down and the bike on its side, if I bring it up to riding position while it is running it instantly dies. If I turn it off then on while in riding position and hold the kickstand out with my foot to simulate it being parked, it runs perfect. Kickstand switch? Brought it to Ontario Cycle Salvage and they said it seemed to be ok.
    Cleaned up the connectors a bit, but I think it fouled the plugs again Any shops around here that would be good?
    Now the bike runs ok with no break light bulbs plugged in, as soon as you turn the bike off, plug them in, and turn it on, it wants to stall. Mechanic thinks it is the R/R as someone at honda canada told him that the stock one controls the fuel pump??
    K How many shops have you brought your bike at? 3? Why do you have it in your possession? Do you take the bike back broken? I dont understand.

Dont take this the wrong way but you need to find a shop and a good one and bring it there and let them find it. Your changing everything on that bike everytime you hit an issue. You went from a battery to an RR to an harness to plugs to switches and everything in between.

Bring it at a shop and leave it there till they fix it, I dont understand how you get it back from shops if it's not working? You towing it around to get different opinions? and trying stuff at home after?
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

It has been to two shops, rossy toes told me they could not fix it. Brought it home tried a few things, then towed it to the current shop where it has been since October-Ish. The wire harness has also not been swapped yet.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

God d*** man, It's amazing you still have hair on your head I would of lost it all by now lol

My guess is it's in the wiring harness. I mean you have way to many here and there problems. my guess is you cant notice it and it's shorting somewhere. like if it would only do one thing it would be simple but you have so many weird little issues that it's got to be in the harness somewhere.

make sure you stick a new set of plugs in when you try starting it after just in case it fouled them again. Running rich as it's dissadvantage lol
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

Quote Originally Posted by DaFrEnCh-TiCkLeR View Post
    God d*** man, It's amazing you still have hair on your head I would of lost it all by now lol

My guess is it's in the wiring harness. I mean you have way to many here and there problems. my guess is you cant notice it and it's shorting somewhere. like if it would only do one thing it would be simple but you have so many weird little issues that it's got to be in the harness somewhere.

make sure you stick a new set of plugs in when you try starting it after just in case it fouled them again. Running rich as it's dissadvantage lol
    The plugs in it are pretty recent, so hopefully they did not get ruined again haha. Right now the issue is it overcharges when bulbs are plugged in to the running light circuit, will update if issue is still there once the stator is replaced.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Stator replaced but he now discovered the cover had been well messed up by the last owner. Found weld fixup spots, and I think caulking too. Told me when he replaced the stator it was hitting off of the flywheel rotor? Ordering a new OEM cover/gasket tonight/tomorrow.
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Cover replaced, waiting for final word Hopefully this bike has been fixed...
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I got my fingers crossed for you.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports