Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Rode fine for about 8km, got to a red light, died. Tried to start and only got a click from under the seat. Pushed it off the road onto the sidewalk, waited a few minutes, clicked the starter again and it started idled and revved fine. As soon as I moved it about 5 feet and got ready to get on the road it died again. MotoLimo towed it home for me, when I got home I hooked it up to a multimeter which read 17.5-18.3v with the bike turned off. While cranking the starter it would drop to 15 then go back up to 17.5-18.3v. Hoping that my multimeter is not broken, ideas?
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Re: Wierd problem with 5th gen VFR

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Rode fine for about 8km, got to a red light, died. Tried to start and only got a click from under the seat. Pushed it off the road onto the sidewalk, waited a few minutes, clicked the starter again and it started idled and revved fine. As soon as I moved it about 5 feet and got ready to get on the road it died again. MotoLimo towed it home for me, when I got home I hooked it up to a multimeter which read 17.5-18.3v with the bike turned off. While cranking the starter it would drop to 15 then go back up to 17.5-18.3v. Hoping that my multimeter is not broken, ideas?
    your multi-meter must be busted - cause 15 volts while cranking is not right (neither is 18 when bike is off).

Common problem with all VFR's....Regulator/rectifier...

Read this thread. It will help you out.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rical-Problems
    Last edited by gamma1; 09-12-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1 View Post
    Common problem with all VFR's....Regulator/rectifier...

Read this thread. It will help you out.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rical-Problems
    Thanks, will check that out. Will also try multiple multi-meters. Any chance it is the tipover sensor? As it did start again after sitting for a few minutes. What about the dying after moving a few feet? Would that all be the rectifier?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Replace the battery in your meter. Low battery could potentially give high readings.

IIRC the '99 VFR got a bigger heat sink, for the reg/rec.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Replace the battery in your meter. Low battery could potentially give high readings.

IIRC the '99 VFR got a bigger heat sink, for the reg/rec.
    Sounds like a good idea...tried another meter and it read 19.5-20.5v. How much does a R/R typically go for? $150?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

R/R problems are not uncommon on the VFR. There are all sorts of solutions out there; OEM replacement, OEM upgrade, new wiring harness, R/R upgrade.
    I went with the R/R upgrade and removed the connectors from the wiring harness.
    I used the SHINDENGEN FH0122AA R/R. It's still a shunt type regulator, but the MOSFET switching means it generates much less heat in the R/R. It also has much improved regulation.
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can install one of these for a little under $150.

I had the over-Voltage issue on one of my bikes, batteries are quickly damaged by overcharging.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR.CBR View Post
    I used the SHINDENGEN FH0122AA R/R. It's still a shunt type regulator,
    You know this for certain? I have one for my XX but have been hesitant to install it as nobody was able to answer that question with any certainty and I was worried about high transient voltages in the alternator windings.

R/R problems are not uncommon on the VFR. There are all sorts of solutions out there; OEM replacement, OEM upgrade, new wiring harness, R/R upgrade.
    I went with the R/R upgrade and removed the connectors from the wiring harness.
    I used the SHINDENGEN FH0122AA R/R. It's still a shunt type regulator, but the MOSFET switching means it generates much less heat in the R/R. It also has much improved regulation.
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can install one of these for a little under $150.

I had the over-Voltage issue on one of my bikes, batteries are quickly damaged by overcharging.
    Was reading about that one.

Would a dead reg cause it to die then be fine a few mins later? Or start then die very shortly after I get moving?
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Yes, the regulator can be the root cause of the bike dying, then restart a few minutes later. Unfortunately, it means the battery is probably cooked. The computer will have shut-down on over Voltage. The cool down period allowed the battery Voltage to drop a bit, the restart pulled it down a bit more, allowing the bike to run. But, probably only for a short time till the problem arose again.
    Last edited by VFR.CBR; 09-12-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by shewie View Post
    You know this for certain? I have one for my XX but have been hesitant to install it as nobody was able to answer that question with any certainty and I was worried about high transient voltages in the alternator windings.
    The FH0122AA is a shunt type regulator, as opposed to a series style regulator. You will not see high Voltages on the windings; 15 Volts max.

The FH0122AA is a shunt type regulator, as opposed to a series style regulator. You will not see high Voltages on the windings; 15 Volts max.
    Where can I get one? Is it possible to buy it local?

Yes, the regulator can be the root cause of the bike dying, then restart a few minutes later. Unfortunately, it means the battery is probably cooked.
    **** the battery is a week old...
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

I have one kit left. I brought them in from the US. There maybe shops here selling them, but I couldn't find any when I was looking for them.
    Last edited by VFR.CBR; 09-12-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Formatting

Sounds like you replaced a battery before figuring out why the last one went bad.

**** the battery is a week old...