Bought a KLR650 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a KLR650

Re: Bought a KLR650

I may have the fuel economy issue worked out on the bike, but I'll need to burn a few tanks of gas to verify it.

The previous owner drilled out the cap on the pilot screw and adjusted it to somewhere around 8-9 turns from seated (or the bike vibrated it out). From the factory, it's supposed to be 1 1/2 turn out, so I was basically shooting gas out the tail pipe

Making the bike run leaner seems to have fixed a few fuelling issues (surging, odd throttle response), so I'm very hopeful on the fuel econ.
    White 2008 CBR125R - Sold
    Special Edition 2009 Ninja 250
    2001 KLR-650

It's a common mod to drill out the plug on the bottom of the carb and turn out the idle mixture screw. It is a small flat tip located on the engine side of the carb. Some guys will remove it and install a t-screw or a knurled screw to adjust on the fly

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I've been riding for 16 years and I've had many bikes but never a dual sport. A couple months ago I bought a 2005 KLR650 from the original owner. It's by far the best bike purchase I've made yet . I love the bike.
    Len - Barrie

Congrats nice bike
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by ProZac View Post
    I've been riding for 16 years and I've had many bikes but never a dual sport. A couple months ago I bought a 2005 KLR650 from the original owner. It's by far the best bike purchase I've made yet . I love the bike.
    Congrats.

I just picked up my '06 today - looking forward to getting in a couple months of riding before the white stuff shows up.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    Congrats.

I just picked up my '06 today - looking forward to getting in a couple months of riding before the white stuff shows up.
    Congrats to you too... I picked up mine same day, just a month earlier. So far so good. I hope the weather will let us enjoy them till late in the season ...
    '08 KLR 650

There must be a dualsport bug going around. I just picked up an '09 DR650 last week. After riding on Saturday, I need to get heated grips installed ASAP.

Yeah, it's like the girl whos not afraid to get dirty, able and willing to try anything.

I too recently purchased a KLR thats a few years old. It's ugly, heavy, tall, does a bit of everything but not good at anything. But for some reason I love her. I get around 380km before reserve so will check the pilot screw also.

I get 300 before reserve...that's with a lower rear sprocket, 685 kit and klx needle with knobbies, I also ride it like a complete idiot...
    gonna try it with street tires (Kenda 761's I think) see if it is any better....
    Anyone have a thermobob conversion? If so what do you think of it?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Anyone with a stock KLR should be looking at upper 300kms per tank numbers before hitting reserve. I used to get 385 not loaded and 365 loaded before hitting reserve and that is with a 685 stage II head and slightly modded stock muffler. Loaded I'm talking two panniers, top bag, tank bag and dry bags on top of all that lot!
    Now the way my bike is set up I get 340kms before reserve I think, but I do ride hard off of the mark and slightly over the limit most of the time, not rediculous just 10 kms over or so.
    If you aren't getting these sorts of numbers you need your carb cleaned out well and possibly adjusted. There are a few ways to get better results. Plus many many ways to decrease mileage....lol...but it will increase the fun factor greatly!!!
    Ask and I will try and help where I can.

anyone have a low mileage klr they a wanna sell? maybe cause they do do anything exceptinally well lol