2003 zx6rr... Reviews and opinions.

Thread: 2003 zx6rr... Reviews and opinions.

Smile 2003 zx6rr... Reviews and opinions.

I am really interested in doing track days next season, thought about converting my current bike (2006 GSX-R 750) into track mode and figured it would be really annoying to switch the fairings every time I want to hit the track.
    Never mind the cost of buying all the extras, fairings, suspension mods, full exhaust, etc...

I have narrowed it down to a CBR600RR or a ZX6R/RR but as of right now I'm leaning towards the ninja.

I've always liked the styling of the 03-06 ZX6R/RR, I came across one (RR) that is well set up for track use. Full exhaust system, aftermarket suspension front and back, street and track fairings etc...
    I have read a lot of reviews but it's always good to hear from real people with real experiences.

Any specific problems I should look out for?
    Common defects and issues with this specific model?
    Should I go with something a little newer or will this suffice for a new track rider?

Any comments, suggestions, reviews or opinions are welcomed and appreciated...
    TIA!!
    Mina

Re: 2003 zx6rr... Reviews and opinions.

I just sold my 03 RR, specifically because I want something newer. Likely an 09 zx6r.

I really enjoyed riding the 03. Lots of power, and it was reliable for the season that I ran it. Parts were easy to find because most are the same for the 636.
    My favourite part was the slipper clutch. Can't go without one now.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post
    I just sold my 03 RR, specifically because I want something newer. Likely an 09 zx6r.

I really enjoyed riding the 03. Lots of power, and it was reliable for the season that I ran it. Parts were easy to find because most are the same for the 636.
    I agree with this opinion. I'm loving this bike on the track and it will do just fine for a new rider on the track.
    Twist the throttle, you pussy!!

I've got an 03 636 that I track, I've been very happy with it. Newcomer to track days and inline 4's but had no issues making the transition. And yes I do wish I had a slipper so the RR would be great on track, locked up the rear a couple times not matching the revs.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy View Post

What were the specs of your bike and how much did you end up selling it for? (if you don't mind me asking)
    I was pretty sure on my decision but I just wanted to hear from real track day goers who have had experience with this specific bike.
    Going to look at it sometime this week, will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the info.
    Mina

Quickly .......... 2003/04 are different animals to the 2005/06 ........ really liked the bunch of them (betch'ya I had 12-15 of them things [ZX6 - 6RR's and another 4-5 ZX10rs 2003-2005/6]) loved that era of Kawasaki ZX's, great bikes, easy to work on can't go wrong ........ BUT, I have done 8-10 CBR600RRs (2007 and up) race and track bikes and they are just plain fantastic toys, one of the strongest units straight out of the box (or, as sold) and they make a great race bike with just a bit of work ........ sorry, I really didn't answer your question ..... BG

Quote Originally Posted by Ben G View Post
    Quickly .......... 2003/04 are different animals to the 2005/06 ........ really liked the bunch of them (betch'ya I had 12-15 of them things [ZX6 - 6RR's and another 4-5 ZX10rs 2003-2005/6]) loved that era of Kawasaki ZX's, great bikes, easy to work on can't go wrong ........ BUT, I have done 8-10 CBR600RRs (2007 and up) race and track bikes and they are just plain fantastic toys, one of the strongest units straight out of the box (or, as sold) and they make a great race bike with just a bit of work ........ sorry, I really didn't answer your question ..... BG
    you prefer the 03/04 over 05/06? If so, how come?
    No need or an apology, any feedback is great.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    you prefer the 03/04 over 05/06? If so, how come?
    No need or an apology, any feedback is great.
    ...... don't "prefer it" at all, you could find positives about both ....... 03 RR (single injector) 04RR (dual injector) did a bunch of 636RR's in the day had acouple of PCSB 617 (636 crank in a 600rr bottom end) and used some 636 motors in the 2005 rr chassis (that was the best combination by far.......) 120HP stock, 2005/06 all come with slipper clutches, 2003, 04, 05RR have different gear boxs from the 636 ........ price? buy the best unit you can afford (the 2007 Hondas might be better). BG
    Last edited by Ben G; 09-14-2011 at 08:06 AM.