Rearsets?

Thread: Rearsets?

Rearsets?

So I've completed my 2nd trackday and I'm loving it so far. However, I'm finding that I'm scraping the pegs a lot.

Now, I do have a set of aftermarket rearsets that I took off a few months back so I'm now running the stock ones.

I know that I have to work on body positioning a little bit more if I'm scraping the pegs that often but my question is: Would installing my aftermarket rearsets (which increase ground clearance) potentially allow the bike to lean past the limits of the tire? As a new track rider, would it be beneficial to keep the stock rearsets on and take the scraping as a sign that I need to fix my body positioning or would it be better to go to the aftermarket rearsets?
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Re: Rearsets?

Hey Fankie,

Throw on the aftermarkets and keep the stock ones for when ya sell it. It will be some time before you reach or even pass the limits of your tires!

I told you "The track is where it's at"! lol
    2007 GSXR 600
    1997 RS125R
    2000 KX80
    Thanks to Pannon Moto Sports, Velocity Sports gear,
    Special thanx goes out to Wally Racing Services for your support!

keep the stock on...your no pro....scraping bits doesnt prove your fast.....come out and do a real track...

but wait for next year now.....when you have new tires....better weather

pushing too hard too fast.....just breaks everything
    I ride hard & fast on street and track.....get the right advice @ Riders Choice .......I dive deep with The Dive Academy in Oakville.....come dive with us

Dragging hard parts is not safe at all but I don't believe that body positioning is the problem nor the solution. Why did you remove the aftermarket rearsets in the first place? I'd reinstall them, making sure that you've gained some ground clearance (1" up, 1" back is very common peg position relative to stock). I wouldn't worry too much about running out of tire though... running out of traction, however, is another story.

Being a pro and/or riding a "real track" has nothing to do with this... that's reserved for the "what size helmet should I wear" thread. :P

Is it safe to assume you're running stock suspension? Unless you're something like 140lbs or lower then stock suspension is too soft for you. If it's compressing too much mid-corner then you'll lose ground clearance. Also, if you get an after-market rear shock you'll be able to adjust the ride height a bit, so you could increase the rear height a little which will give you more clearance. I've run home made adapter plates on my OEM rearsets on all my track bikes so far. No need to drop huge cash on nice rearsets until you break your OEM ones.

Body position can be part of the problem. I haven't seen you ride, but if you're counter leaning then yeah, you'll easily drag pegs. Are you getting your knee down before you drag your pegs every time? Not that getting your knee down means you're leaning the bike far, but at least it would give some indication that you're on the proper side of the bike mid-corner.
    -Dave
    2003 SV650S track bike, 2001 CBR929RR street bike

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Why did you remove the aftermarket rearsets in the first place? I'd reinstall them, making sure that you've gained some ground clearance (1" up, 1" back is very common peg position relative to stock).
    I took it off for my touring trip. Was concerned about parts if I crashed and broke the rearsets.

Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    Is it safe to assume you're running stock suspension? Unless you're something like 140lbs or lower then stock suspension is too soft for you. If it's compressing too much mid-corner then you'll lose ground clearance. Also, if you get an after-market rear shock you'll be able to adjust the ride height a bit, so you could increase the rear height a little which will give you more clearance. I've run home made adapter plates on my OEM rearsets on all my track bikes so far. No need to drop huge cash on nice rearsets until you break your OEM ones.

Body position can be part of the problem. I haven't seen you ride, but if you're counter leaning then yeah, you'll easily drag pegs. Are you getting your knee down before you drag your pegs every time? Not that getting your knee down means you're leaning the bike far, but at least it would give some indication that you're on the proper side of the bike mid-corner.
    Yes I'm running stock suspension and I'm about 140ish lbs. But I've also been told that my rear suspension is near the end of its life as its bouncing a lot mid turn and no matter how you adjust it, there is no difference...this is on my to-do list to fix. I get my knee down everytime before the pegs scrape.

As for body positioning, I dont really know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I've been doing the standard "kiss the mirror" and keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs but other than that I've just been observing what other people are doing. I took Racer 5 stage 1 but we only really learned about lower body positioning and now much of upper. I was scraping a lot of the CBR125 but having previously owned that bike before, I know there is little ground clearance on that bike.

Here is a picture if it helps (yes I know my knee puck is not in the right place):
    Attachment 0

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    I took it off for my touring trip. Was concerned about parts if I crashed and broke the rearsets.

Yes I'm running stock suspension and I'm about 140ish lbs. But I've also been told that my rear suspension is near the end of its life as its bouncing a lot mid turn and no matter how you adjust it, there is no difference...this is on my to-do list to fix. I get my knee down everytime before the pegs scrape.

As for body positioning, I dont really know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I've been doing the standard "kiss the mirror" and keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs but other than that I've just been observing what other people are doing. I took Racer 5 stage 1 but we only really learned about lower body positioning and now much of upper. I was scraping a lot of the CBR125 but having previously owned that bike before, I know there is little ground clearance on that bike.

Here is a picture if it helps (yes I know my knee puck is not in the right place):
    Attachment 0

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Do I see feelers still in those pegs?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Do I see feelers still in those pegs?
    Sure looks that way. Step 1, remove those.

I think I saw a rear shock for a cbr on cherrypicker the other day...
    -Dave

Noticed you have a video camera on your helmet... Did you get anything that we can look at on and around the bike? Different camera angles?
    Last edited by R1Guy; 09-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R1Guy View Post
    Noticed you have a video camera on your helmet... Did you get anything that we can look at on and around the bike? Different camera angles?
    I had a camera mounted on my bike from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvbdhQo-2so . I didnt start to pick it up until about 8 mins.

Also this one but I was riding a CBR125: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUlqTEF8Mlo

I havent uploaded the one from my helmet yet but that one is probably too shakey to watch anyways.
    Last edited by Wheelieboy; 09-10-2011 at 11:37 PM.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Lifting both wheels off the ground midcorner, from gouging your low stock pegs into the track, and then crashing as a result, sucks. I even cut the stock pegs in half to help alleviate this, but it still wasn't enough. I will never race without higher than stock pegs again,LOL
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Lifting both wheels off the ground midcorner, from gouging your low stock pegs into the track, and then crashing as a result, sucks. I even cut the stock pegs in half to help alleviate this, but it still wasn't enough. I will never race without higher than stock pegs again,LOL
    I experienced a little bit of lift mid corner, enough to upset the bike but not enough to feel like I'm losing control. Happened both on the 125 and 600, one of the reasons why I want to improve on whatever I'm doing wrong/needs changing

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

You said this was your second track day so hopefully you'll welcome some constructive criticism. Weighting the pegs has a significant impact on the bike's stability. When mid-corner you should try to transfer your weight to your outside foot. This helps the bike stay planted and also will decrease the lift effect if you start to drag parts. It also puts you in a better position to change body position to decrease lean angle if you need to without upsetting the chassis too much. Weighting inside peg at turn in helps steer the bike but transferring weight to the outside as your reach your target line is good. At least that's what I was taught and what I do...
    -Dave

Remove the feelers now! LOL They are usually screwed in. But since you have rearsets, why not to use them? I'd certainly do that. Now, if you use the bike as your street bike, I can see how you will not like the ergonomics ....

Well that's the beauty of adjustable rearsets isn't it? Before the trackday, spend an hr to get pegs and pedals adjusted up and out of the way. Do the trackday without dragging hard parts. Then when you get home, spend an hr lowering pegs and pedals for street duty until next trackday.

Or buy a 2nd bike, lol
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by doozerdave View Post
    You said this was your second track day so hopefully you'll welcome some constructive criticism. Weighting the pegs has a significant impact on the bike's stability. When mid-corner you should try to transfer your weight to your outside foot. This helps the bike stay planted and also will decrease the lift effect if you start to drag parts. It also puts you in a better position to change body position to decrease lean angle if you need to without upsetting the chassis too much. Weighting inside peg at turn in helps steer the bike but transferring weight to the outside as your reach your target line is good. At least that's what I was taught and what I do...
    Thanks for the advise. I think I've been subconsciously doing this but I'm not 100% sure. Next time I'll pay attention and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Remove the feelers now!
    Good idea lol. It never occurred to me to remove them.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR