Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

Thread: Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

I'm thinking about getting an exhaust/pipe slip-on and was wondering if it's better to go with brand name or custom, or maybe stick with the stock.

I'd probably go with Arrow if I was going brand name, but it's a bit on the expensive side, $350+ ,Two Brother is sweet as well, but even more.

As for custom, there is guy who sells carbon fiber slip on exhaust systems. Here's the add on kijji: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ311864850 They are $250 and seem like decent quality. Quote from the ad "These are High Quality Growler style Real Carbon Fiber slip on systems. All exhaust are handmade using high grade Stainless steel with clean TIG weld joints.".

I also have a concern about the back pressure and will it age the engine more than the stock exhaust?
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 09-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Re: Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an exhaust/pipe slip-on and was wondering if it's better to go with brand name or custom, or maybe stick with the stock.

I'd probably go with Arrow if I was going brand name, but it's a bit on the expensive side, $350+ ,Two Brother is sweet as well, but even more.

As for custom, there is guy who sells carbon fiber slip on exhaust systems. Here's the add on kijji: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ311864850 They are $250 and seem like decent quality. Quote from the ad "These are High Quality Growler style Real Carbon Fiber slip on systems. All exhaust are handmade using high grade Stainless steel with clean TIG weld joints.".

I also have a concern about the engine compression and will it age the engine more than the stock exhaust?
    first off, slip-ons do very little other than change the look of your pipe and a slight change in sound (a lot of noise gets muffled in the catalytic converter so doing just a slip on doesn't do nearly as much for sound as a full system).

You will see pretty much zero performance gains from just a slip on as most of the flow is still being restricted by the cat, so don't worry about any concerns with engine compression.

Since with a slip-on you are after looks and a slight change in exhaust note, not performance get what looks the best. Arrow is a quality company like Akra, leovince, termogioni etc.. two bros is kinda crap and looks lame and cheap in my opinion.

In my opinion any slip on is a waste of money on a bike with a catalytic, you are pretty much spending $300-500 on a muffler which will do little more than look nice, do it right get a full system.
    former: 2006 sv650s (sold)
    current: 2009 r6

"You need to stop suckin back the ballserade, to much salt can be toxic."

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by optionfa View Post
    first off, slip-ons do very little other than change the look of your pipe and a slight change in sound (a lot of noise gets muffled in the catalytic converter so doing just a slip on doesn't do nearly as much for sound as a full system).

You will see pretty much zero performance gains from just a slip on as most of the flow is still being restricted by the cat, so don't worry about any concerns with engine compression.

Since with a slip-on you are after looks and a slight change in exhaust note, not performance get what looks the best. Arrow is a quality company like Akra, leovince, termogioni etc.. two bros is kinda crap and looks lame and cheap in my opinion.

In my opinion any slip on is a waste of money on a bike with a catalytic, you are pretty much spending $300-500 on a muffler which will do little more than look nice, do it right get a full system.
    The cat on the 650R is built into the muffler. When you put on a slip on on this bike, you remove the cat.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

$350 is cheap, even for a slip on. And that one in your photo will probably resonate your ears off in a few minutes.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    $350 is cheap, even for a slip on. And that one in your photo will probably resonate your ears off in a few minutes.
    And it's about as handsome as Quasimoto.

One functional use of slip-ons is that carbon fiber cans often weight much less than stock cans, 7-10lbs in some cases.

But I admit vanity, I like the look of my Yoshi CF more than the stock one, and it sounds good.

To each his own, as to whether it's worth the cost or not.

I also have a concern about the engine compression and will it age the engine more than the stock exhaust?
    how does an exhaust change the compression?
    I can imagine how much R&D went into that.
    Last edited by murf; 09-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    how does an exhaust change the compression?
    I can imagine how much R&D went into that.
    he's probably talking about back pressure, not engine compression.

Mina

Yea, back pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    he's probably talking about back pressure, not engine compression.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Here's a pic of that custom carbon fiber exhaust I was talking about.

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

If you remove the cat won't you have trouble passing the emissions test?

Yeah, that looks like crap. Most slip-ons are for noise-purposes only. They make almost no difference in horsepower. And most are of lesser quality than the factory unit it's replacing.

Most dudes with sport bikes are very anal/particular on the looks of the bike and how the lines flow. IMHO, those slip ons don't look too good! Spend the extra money and get something good (e.g. Akra, Arrow, Two Brothers etc.)