Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

Re: Stock vs. Brand Name vs. Custom Exhaust?

^^My carbon fiber/titanium is so light, it feels like if it is made of plastic.

...winning...
    Resident Loudmouth

So what's the best material for an exhaust? Stainless steel, titanium or carbon fiber?

Will they each sound different? What's the most durable? Lightest?

Most name brands do some form of r&d for their products. Looks, sound and arguably power benefits. You'll have to research a bit for specific benefits of some of the few you may narrow it down to.

I'm not sure myself but, I'd be concerned with the ecu/fueling/map and o2 sensors if the cat goes.

I'd start with youtube searches for your bike with aftermarket exhaust. Stay with quality name brands. Then see if there is any performance benefits besides the look and sound. Stock cans are not always the most optimum equipment. But, if you improve how things exit, you should also look how efficient you can get air into the engine at the same time.

As for which material is best, I can't say. It's the overall weight savings and look and sound. Some full factory titanium exhausts for Ducatis look great with a sound to die for. Happy hunting.

before you remove the exhaust remove the snorkels. It might give you the sound you want and save you $$$
    New to me for 2012.

I share your concern with regards to removed the cat, so gonna hold off for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Most name brands do some form of r&d for their products. Looks, sound and arguably power benefits. You'll have to research a bit for specific benefits of some of the few you may narrow it down to.

I'm not sure myself but, I'd be concerned with the ecu/fueling/map and o2 sensors if the cat goes.

I'd start with youtube searches for your bike with aftermarket exhaust. Stay with quality name brands. Then see if there is any performance benefits besides the look and sound. Stock cans are not always the most optimum equipment. But, if you improve how things exit, you should also look how efficient you can get air into the engine at the same time.

As for which material is best, I can't say. It's the overall weight savings and look and sound. Some full factory titanium exhausts for Ducatis look great with a sound to die for. Happy hunting.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Nice, de-snorkel seems like a brilliant idea. Thanks man. I wonder if anyone here has de-snorkeled their 650R.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    before you remove the exhaust remove the snorkels. It might give you the sound you want and save you $$$
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Nice, de-snorkel seems like a brilliant idea. Thanks man. I wonder if anyone here has de-snorkeled their 650R.
    I ran it without and liked the sound, kinda reminded me of a '69 dodge charger when you pin it. I love the look of the stock pipe so i never changed it.
    New to me for 2012.

Nice, and maybe a little more HP.
    I ran it without and liked the sound, kinda reminded me of a '69 dodge charger when you pin it. I love the look of the stock pipe so i never changed it.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

It always best to go with a reliable brand name, their exhausts have gone through RD, development and testing. They are bespoke for each bike model and year and normally under warrantee for 1 to 2 years. Stainless Steel is normally the material of choice for the budget minded, carbon fibre is a good choice if heat is an issue, especially good for underseat exhausts. Note though if you plan on keeping the bike for many years carbon sleeves will yellow and discolor eventually, even the prepreg top quality stuff. Titanium is a good compromise as it is light and hard wearing.

Oh, did you also remove the sub throttle plates?

Last edited by RodneyBR; 09-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

No I just took out air baffle and left the sub throttle ones.

Just like this dude.

New to me for 2012.

Ok, thanks.

I wonder does removing the air baffles affect engine life or mess up sensors?

Also, did you remove and clean your air filter while in there? If so, how did you clean it. I guess Kerosene should work for cleaning and then drown it with regular 10W40W oil.

No I just took out air baffle and left the sub throttle ones.

Just like this dude.

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Ok, thanks.

That would affect torque. An engine requires less air at lower RPMs in order to produce torque. Maybe Brian P can clear that up.
    Resident Loudmouth

Ok, thanks.

Also, did you remove and clean your air filter while in there? If so, how did you clean it. I guess Kerosene should work for cleaning and then drown it with regular 10W40W oil.
    Not sure if it messed anything up. The bike ran as normal except for the growl I created. I used Acetone for my high flash point cleaner. Acetone is one of the few solvents that leaves no film of any sort, so it may be a valuable option.
    It is however, really really bad for you and you'll absorb it like a sponge, so wear appropriate gloves and such. You don't need to drown the filter in old, just a nice even coat will do.
    New to me for 2012.

Perfect, thanks for the info.

What oil did you use on the filter, special 10W40 motorcycle oil?

Not sure if it messed anything up. The bike ran as normal except for the growl I created. I used Acetone for my high flash point cleaner. Acetone is one of the few solvents that leaves no film of any sort, so it may be a valuable option.
    It is however, really really bad for you and you'll absorb it like a sponge, so wear appropriate gloves and such. You don't need to drown the filter in old, just a nice even coat will do.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Banned

Here's a couple of videos with the Danmoto. I have to ask tho, why would you want to spend the coin on upgrades, or in this case downgrades on a 650R?No disrespect to the bike, but it's a sport tourer isn't it? If you want a nicer sounding bike and more ponies why don't you move up the obvious ZX-6? It'll scare you plenty without any upgrades!

The twin sounds like ***** with and without the slip-on. It's a waste of money and you will lose on resale value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRyxGIsIG3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DlvbBAn6Iw

Here's what you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJfxOScbLc

Cleans up the ZX-6 nicely, and the sound can't be picked up by any camera. It's a much nicer sound than any other exhaust on the market IMHO. Deep, deep bass. You will "need" the stage 2 silencer as it'll rattle your brains loose and you'll draw heat If you go this route, see other thread and get a proper dyno-tune.

Spend your money wisely!
    Last edited by Prince; 09-13-2011 at 12:04 PM.

I agree and have decided against a slip-on for now. I might just do that air baffle mod though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    Here's a couple of videos with the Danmoto. I have to ask tho, why would you want to spend the coin on upgrades, or in this case downgrades on a 650R?No disrespect to the bike, but it's a sport tourer isn't it? If you want a nicer sounding bike and more ponies why don't you move up the obvious ZX-6? It'll scare you plenty without any upgrades!The twin sounds like ***** with and without the slip-on. It's a waste of money and you will lose on resale value.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Banned

Forget the mods on your bike. Leave it stock and you'll maintain a decent re-sale price. Read the rest of my post. You need to change your thought process altogether.

I agree and have decided against a slip-on for now. I might just do that air baffle mod though.

Forget the mods on your bike. Leave it stock and you'll maintain a decent re-sale price. Read the rest of my post. You need to change your thought process altogether.
    Id say YOU need to chane your thought process, not everyone rides a supersport or even wants to, why should someone not mod their bike just because theres a higher HP model to upgrade to? This would mean no one would mod anything other than a one-thow.

De-snorkling the bike will do nothing to resale value as it's a completely invisible mod, next thing youll be telling me installing smog block off plates, or changing my plugs is lowering my resale value...

first you try and convine people power commders/bazzaz units are useless, then you think you have this great new business model for riders choice, and now this... winning
    former: 2006 sv650s (sold)
    current: 2009 r6

"You need to stop suckin back the ballserade, to much salt can be toxic."

What if he gets a ZX6 but doesn't like the gearing, what new bike should he replace it with then?
    There is no planet B.