Thank you West Virginia!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you West Virginia!

Thank you West Virginia!

Over the past two long weekends, this State has given me two of the most enjoyable pure riding days I can remember.

Over the August long weekend, I went down to a rally and on the way home, due to a slight zig where I should have zagged, I ended up on US 50 heading east from Grafton, WV. Even though I quickly figured out I was on the wrong road (see part 2 of best days ever) - I was just having so much fun I kept riding. Right through Maryland, back into West Virginia - by about 4:00 p.m. I was close enough to Front Royal I decided to check out the Skyline Drive for a bit, before running north to get a little closer to home.

This long weekend I went back to run the route I actually had planned to run in the first place Elkins, WV to Staunton, Virginia, via US 250 (at times both 219/250 - but never US50 - see part 1 above). Wow. Did I like this route? Well when I hit Staunton, Virginia, I turned around and did it all the way back to Elkins. And if the skies hadn't opened up, I might just have turned around and ran it back again - its only about 100 mile stretch, but probably about 75% of that is toes up, knees down kind of riding. Most of the pavement was excellent - and I especially liked how they had wider lanes in some of the banked corners - and as well kudo's to the trucks and RV's who pulled over to let me go by!!! As a bonus, Saturday night I stayed at the Microtel in Hazelton, WV - and I have to go into my GPS to get the routes from my history, because the road leading up to this place was almost worth the price of admission alone. On top of that, the route from Hazelton to Elkins was a blast - and probably technically more challenging than 250 itself. This trip is definitely on the agenda for a follow-up fall colour run later this month.

Fortunately for me I had Tuesday off as well, so even Monday's ride back as far as Grove City in the cold and the rain and the wind - couldn't put a damper on this weekend. Just called it a day early and when the going gets tough - the tough get shopping - anyone whose been to Grove City and the Prime Outlet mall there knows what I mean - let's just say I found a way to pass the rest of the day on Monday. Tuesday was cold but dry and a short ride home.

While the weather couldn't put a damper on my spirits, an encounter with a grieving grandfather in a motel dining area in Elkins could - but this isn't the place for posting that, I have posted his story is in Fallen Riders.

Re: Thank you West Virginia!

I noticed you stayed at the Super 8 in Elkins. I also stayed there in June. I also had some friendly WV chats with locals in the hotel parking lot (though not of the sad variety). Just curious, did you check out that all you can eat buffet across the street from the Super 8? It was pretty good for just $10.99. The people of WV are so endearing. When I was there I met some people at the top of Spruce Knob who were imploring me to be watchful for dear. They spoke to me with an earnestness that one usually reserves for family. Thanks for the great roads referral. I'll have to check them out next time I'm there.
    Last edited by Carmen; 09-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Aurora

I have never been to wv , but your post has me wanting to go NOW!!!!!

I was there this labour day weekend. We took the 250 and 30(I think). And yes, the 250 is loads of fun. My friends got all their chicken strip out, lol. I couldn't get mines out, too much blind corners with the periodic gravel. Seen one of mine friend do a squiggly on some gravel, it was nuts, lol.

The only drawback to this ride were the ride getting there, it was long and boring.
    Resident Loudmouth

I went there myself this past weekend and it was absolutely amazing. Nothing but mountains, twisty roads, and friendly people.

Regarding the roads themselves, they are in superb shape, only a few stretches of highway 7 were rough, and the 219 was immaculate.

It was HOT on Fri and Sat
    Resident Loudmouth

Here is the I250 going east from this weekend
    JC I will send you rest of pics and vids later this week.
    http://youtu.be/GOcRnwalkZc
    Last edited by boooya; 09-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Here is the I250 going east from this weekend
    JC I will send you rest of pics and vids later this week.
    http://youtu.be/GOcRnwalkZc
    Did you have deer encounters in the Monongahela National Forest?
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    I have never been to wv , but your post has me wanting to go NOW!!!!!
    You really should.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
    Did you have deer encounters in the Monongahela National Forest?
    Dude I can't get on my bike without having deer encounters lol.
    But yes we had a few, they were just eating at shoulder of road and didn't even run away as we rode past.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Dude I can't get on my bike without having deer encounters lol.
    But yes we had a few, they were just eating at shoulder of road and didn't even run away as we rode past.
    Those deer were so small I thought they were rabbits
    Resident Loudmouth

Sounds like a great time in WV. We rode through the state on our way home from Deals Gap this year.
    We took 16 through Hungry Mother State park, then over to the 219. 16 was an amazing road, banked corners and all.
    I hope to make it back to West Virginia sometime this month. Might have to make it a 4 day weekend.
    06-z750s

Try US 311 North of Roanoke. Sheer fun as you cross State lines a couple of times over the mountain range.

RockerGuy, did you guys go through Pennsylvania last weekend? A group of four or five bikes?

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Try US 311 North of Roanoke. Sheer fun as you cross State lines a couple of times over the mountain range.

RockerGuy, did you guys go through Pennsylvania last weekend? A group of four or five bikes?
    We did but there was only 3 of us.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post

I agree about US 311 between Roanoke V and White Sulphur Springs WV. I found it to be the nicest road I encountered in either WV or Virginia. We're talking up and down mountains, banked corners, switchbacks, and nice scenery.
    Last edited by Carmen; 09-08-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Aurora

I hope to make another couple of trips out that way this fall. Last weekend I only ran the interstates to about Mead, PA on Saturday and was bored - so got off, set the GPS to avoid interstates (yeah - I know its the lazy way) - and just meandered down to Hazelton, WV. I am an early riser and I was in the mood to spend all day in the saddle, so I wasn't in any hurry and it did make it a little less boring. There are many, many roads I haven't explored yet and I don't always make note of the roads I'm on, because its just so easy to see a twisty sideroad and get off track.

This last weekend was good in terms of a minimum of the infamous WV gravel - though I suspect if I had ridden after the rains instead of before I would have run into more.

On one less travelled road from my hotel in Hazelton to Elkins, on a one mile stretch I ran into (well not literally - luckily) one deer, a flock or gaggle or whatever of wild turkies crossing the road, and 3 free range chickens who were quite unimpressed with my motorcycle and took their own sweet time to get to the other side.

I still have 5 vacation days available - and the leaves were already starting to turn colours in some places, so I'm thinking weekend after next for the next run!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Over the past two long weekends, this State has given me two of the most enjoyable pure riding days I can remember.

Over the August long weekend, I went down to a rally and on the way home, due to a slight zig where I should have zagged, I ended up on US 50 heading east from Grafton, WV. Even though I quickly figured out I was on the wrong road (see part 2 of best days ever) - I was just having so much fun I kept riding. Right through Maryland, back into West Virginia - by about 4:00 p.m. I was close enough to Front Royal I decided to check out the Skyline Drive for a bit, before running north to get a little closer to home.

This long weekend I went back to run the route I actually had planned to run in the first place Elkins, WV to Staunton, Virginia, via US 250 (at times both 219/250 - but never US50 - see part 1 above). Wow. Did I like this route? Well when I hit Staunton, Virginia, I turned around and did it all the way back to Elkins. And if the skies hadn't opened up, I might just have turned around and ran it back again - its only about 100 mile stretch, but probably about 75% of that is toes up, knees down kind of riding. Most of the pavement was excellent - and I especially liked how they had wider lanes in some of the banked corners - and as well kudo's to the trucks and RV's who pulled over to let me go by!!! As a bonus, Saturday night I stayed at the Microtel in Hazelton, WV - and I have to go into my GPS to get the routes from my history, because the road leading up to this place was almost worth the price of admission alone. On top of that, the route from Hazelton to Elkins was a blast - and probably technically more challenging than 250 itself. This trip is definitely on the agenda for a follow-up fall colour run later this month.

Fortunately for me I had Tuesday off as well, so even Monday's ride back as far as Grove City in the cold and the rain and the wind - couldn't put a damper on this weekend. Just called it a day early and when the going gets tough - the tough get shopping - anyone whose been to Grove City and the Prime Outlet mall there knows what I mean - let's just say I found a way to pass the rest of the day on Monday. Tuesday was cold but dry and a short ride home.

While the weather couldn't put a damper on my spirits, an encounter with a grieving grandfather in a motel dining area in Elkins could - but this isn't the place for posting that, I have posted his story is in Fallen Riders.
    Same here, want to hit up south/east of Williamsport area within the next couple weeks.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

I agree about US 311 between Roanoke V and White Sulphur Springs WV. I found it to be the nicest road I encountered in either WV or Virginia. We're talking up and down mountains, banked corners, switchbacks, and spectacular scenery.
    If u haven't ridden the Cabot Trail, I believe you would love it. About 7hrs of pure twisties, elevation changes, weather changes, and talk about the scenery, the cliffs and backdrops are spectacular. When I was there, I found myself just looking blankly out there just admiring everything, not wanting to get back on the bike, but just zoning off.

West V. was good, but for me, only the roads were nice.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    If u haven't ridden the Cabot Trail, I believe you would love it. About 7hrs of pure twisties, elevation changes, weather changes, and talk about the scenery, the cliffs and backdrops are spectacular. When I was there, I found myself just looking blankly out there just admiring everything, not wanting to get back on the bike, but just zoning off.

West V. was good, but for me, only the roads were nice.
    I'm sure I would love the Cabot Trial - one day when I find the time. I can only comment about scenery with regards to the places I have visited on a bike. If I want scenery I would rather go the Adirondacks, it's closer the mountains are higher and the wow factor is there. However, WV beckons me to return mainly for the people. I love the friendly greeting of a local with that thick southern accent. You can't get that in the north east. Oh yeah, and the roads aren't bad either.
    Last edited by Carmen; 09-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Aurora

Just curious, did you check out that all you can eat buffet across the street from the Super 8? It was pretty good for just $10.99.
    It wasn't a bad Super8. Being a woman, I generally avoid "all you can eat" places.
    A true friend will let you sit on his Busa