Algonquin Fall Ride

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Algonquin Fall Ride

Algonquin Fall Ride

I designed a ride for Algonquin fall colours touring, thought some other riders out there might be interested:

http://www.northernontario.travel/mo...-saturday-tour

Basically I have it heading through Algonquin from the 400, then coming back down to the 401 through some of those great twisties in Haliburton and the Kawarthas.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Re: Algonquin Fall Ride

What time you plan on starting the ride? If i don't get called into work I may try and meet you at Hwy 12 and 48 if your okay with that?

I'm interested - when and where. Would hook up on the 400 somewhere as I'm coming from the West, macdoc@macdoc.com keep me posted

Weather looks okay a bit on the chilly side in the mornings

Do you have a Scala by any chance
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Well, I've just had my plans cancelled by work. Hopefully someone will get to enjoy the ride...

Route looks good. Hopefully Ill get to give it a shot soon.
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

I'd say its at least a week or two early to really see the fall colours anyway.. looks like a good route though!

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    I'd say its at least a week or two early to really see the fall colours anyway.. looks like a good route though!
    3-4 weeks I think, the silver maples are just starting to discolor, other trees are usually 2-3 weeks behind. Last week in Sept first of Oct will be peak I think.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

or a cold snap
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    or a cold snap
    I think it's hours of daylight that effects it more then temps.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

If it was hours of daylight then the colours would be the same every year and they are not - it's a combination of many factors but a cold snap is one of the major ones which is why you can see sections where there is exposure to wind and cold turn earlier.

snip

Temperature, sunlight, and soil moisture greatly influence the quality of the fall foliage display. Abundant sunlight and low temperatures after the time the abscission layer forms cause the chlorophyll to be destroyed more rapidly. Cool temperatures, particularly at night, combined with abundant sunlight, promote the formation of more anthocyanins.
    all you want to know is here

http://www.usna.usda.gov/PhotoGaller...FallColor.html

They were just starting to turn ner Algonquin last weekend

Best shot I could do while riding. Partner was focused on the twisties

Keep an eye on The Weather Network as they usually have a fall colour report.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Thanks for posting this route - I'm looking for at least one non-border crossing trip for this fall. Coming from Hamilton, I think I'd make it an overnight trip and avoid the highways altogether. This weekend might be a little early for the best colours, but it would be a fun jaunt anyway.

Yeah 507 is much fun and the route we did into Quebec last weekend would be a good two day.
    If you want to camp Horizon X has tent with cot for $10 and gorgeous setting on the Ottawa river

Don't do that loop to the north but rather swing down into the Gatineau looping back to Horizon X for the night = then come back along the Algonquin area.
    It was 1400k or so from Mississauga including a few oops it's gravel sections - nothing too overwhelming tho.

Do you have this route in a Garmin file format?

Looks like the colours should be good up towards the park after that cold snap.

Was just up that way, not there yet but another week or so should be perfect.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    Was just up that way, not there yet but another week or so should be perfect.
    Were you on hwy 60? Last time i was up there is was in brutal shape from the construction. Not something that would have been enjoyable on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mike226 View Post
    Were you on hwy 60? Last time i was up there is was in brutal shape from the construction. Not something that would have been enjoyable on a motorcycle.
    No wasn't on 60.
    You saying 60 thru the park is in bad shape? It's been perfect for years, don't see why they would tear it up.
    Barrie and area riders.

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by boooya View Post
    No wasn't on 60.
    You saying 60 thru the park is in bad shape? It's been perfect for years, don't see why they would tear it up.
    Hwy 60 from dwight (around hwy 35) almost to the west gate was all torn up, huge delays, no pavement.