Ontario and Quebec this weekend

Thread: Ontario and Quebec this weekend

Ontario and Quebec this weekend

I trying to put together a trip for this weekend. I was considering heading out to Ottawa river on 28 and then north east through Quadeville on the 515. On the next day I would loop back through Algonquin an all the good rides associated with it. Once I get to Ottawa river are there any good roads I should hit in that area? Also I could take Friday off and head out early. If any one recommends me a good route I would love to push all the way to Tremblant.

If anyone wants to join me they would be welcomed to.

Re: Ontario and Quebec this weekend

Just drove there last weekend.....hmmm

I take the 105 going North out of Ottawa on the way to the cottage. Never done it on the bike, but in the car it's quite the scenic and fun drive. Lots of twisties and you basically ride alongside the Gatineau river most of the way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=To...=1,11&t=m&z=10 This is the route I am planning on riding. Saturday I will ride from Toronto to point B. I dont even know if it's a paved road or not but I dont really care Is there a way to find out? I will camp at point C, which is HorizonX Adventure company. The owner is the best guy in the world, he has awesome rafting trips. I will camp there for the night. Then I will head through Algonquin home. I will grab a big jerry can with me. If someone would like to join me i'd be awesome! I would have gone on a longer trip but my tire is has only 1000KM left in it

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I would have gone on a longer trip but my tire is has only 1000KM left in it
    You're SOL, your route has 1099 km

Interesting route, but 1100 km/20 hours of riding in 2 days?? If you drop the loop in Quebec and make your turnaround point near Shawville or Pembroke, it cuts down to about 900 km and 16 hours, still ambitious but somewhat more manageable. If you're an Iron Butt type, please ignore my comment and enjoy the ride!
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

1100 in two full days is not much really on nice secondary roads - the key is getting started early.
    1000 km in a day is a push.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I'm very interested in joining you on this run - looks good but I'm concerned you are riding on worn tires.....

Route 105 looks very nice

Where are you starting out from ? I'm in the west end and would want to get to Peterborough by 9 am at the latest - so slab it across and then take our time.
    I don't think there is a need for a jerry can but I might bring one tho will look at the route

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Route_105

email me macdoc@macdoc.com

You don't happen to own a Scala do you?
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-08-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

I own a KTM SMC. My seat would put a dent in iron Don't worry, my tires haven't reached the wear bars. I have a new set waiting, but it would be a waste not to use these up first. My range is 120-130KM with reserve so I am positive I will need the jerry can. Pace wise, I will keep it under 50 over. In towns I do the limit on the twisties I tent to push it. Like I said, I will camp at point C on Saturday.

105 looks like an interesting alternative to the loop I have in Quebec.

ouch yeah short range - thought I was bad at 250 or so.
    I went through most of the loop - only one odd dirt road I don't think was intentional but with all the oddball turns routes you gonna lead...

Question is - your back gonna make it

Such a bike will never be sweet on long trips. In fact, it will turn into a killer for the back, arms and legs and the only sections where the rider and will feel ‘at home’ are the twisties.
    http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...c-ar50838.html

Where are you tucking away the camping gear on a such a sparse bike.??

Have to firm this up - meet up place and time, phone numbers etc if we are doing this as I have some planning to do.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.

I did close to 800KM with my girlfriend on the back so it should be ok. This bike is a lot better than people make it out to be. Meeting up in Peterborough at 9 sounds good to me.

BTW what bike do you have?

At the corner where 28 intersects 7 and we head north is pretty straight forward.

White Burgman 650 it'll handle it easily providing you stay off extensive dirt roads - I don't mind short bits but it's not as much fun as twisties and sweepers.

It's 185 k to Peterborough and on the slab that'll eat up gas so that Hwy 28 and HWY 7 corner would be a good fill up spot. I don't know what's there tho. No Timmies but I know there is a
    I might leave a bit earlier as I hate driving into the rising sun Say 8.30 at that intersection

Are you loading this route into a GPS?
    As I'm in tag along mode.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-09-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Looks okay up in that area

dress warm - it was 9 when I was up that way a month ago.

Bloody hell - who knew
    and we're outside in a tent.
    Even the borrowed sleeping bag did not keep me warm. Cold all night - the late arrival circa 12 degrees for an hour didn't help. Saw a few deer in the fields on the way just before dusk so was a tad nerve racking.

Paul has a cast iron butt tho ......830 km on a two by four he calls a seat.

Gorgeous weather and lovely roads. Once it gets warmed up we'll head home via the northern part of the loop skipping Algonquin ( again - never have yet ridden it ).

Lovely place tho

http://www.horizonx.ca/en/

My old haunts for kayaking and rafting - been a few decades.

Last edited by MacDoc; 09-11-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Finally got some shots uploaded

Odd couple - both 650s at the very opposite ends of the spectrum -

on the road

Lunch in Pembroke - little tea house with a view - tasty and a nice break after run from Toronto.

Pembroke

Rural Quebec....watch your fuel - lots are not open on Saturday night and some not on Sunday

pretty area tho

Cheap place to camp mid run - $10 a night and a great jump off to lots of routes.

Wireless is free as well...could have used the hot tub tho it was sure cold arriving and sleeping.

Lovely view across the Ottawa the next morning made the ordeal much better

Breakfast at the fundie hang out not so successful - soggy French toast
    Riding partner didn't quite twig to the theme when he pulled in

Much better luck with the yummy poutine in Quebec

all in all a good ride tho tired for the twisties on Sunday - cold in the tent...
    Paul of course was sawing away snug in his big sleeping bag....still revived enough to have fun on 507 at a "spirited pace". Lots of riders out.
    Don't know how he survived 840k on that two by four he calls a seat. and that was just Day One
    Last edited by MacDoc; 09-13-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I own a KTM SMC. My seat would put a dent in iron Don't worry, my tires haven't reached the wear bars. I have a new set waiting, but it would be a waste not to use these up first. My range is 120-130KM with reserve so I am positive I will need the jerry can. Pace wise, I will keep it under 50 over. In towns I do the limit on the twisties I tent to push it. Like I said, I will camp at point C on Saturday.

105 looks like an interesting alternative to the loop I have in Quebec.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    ouch yeah short range - thought I was bad at 250 or so.
    I went through most of the loop - only one odd dirt road I don't think was intentional but with all the oddball turns routes you gonna lead...

Question is - your back gonna make it

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...c-ar50838.html

Where are you tucking away the camping gear on a such a sparse bike.??

Have to firm this up - meet up place and time, phone numbers etc if we are doing this as I have some planning to do.
    I can't believe the range you are getting on a tank of gas. 120 km to 250 km. I was riding at night and I was sursprised at the limited amount of gas stations open between sudbury and Barrie. If this is how it is elsewhere, planing gas stops is a must.