So called upgrades, Why Bother? - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So called upgrades, Why Bother?

Re: So called upgrades, Why Bother?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    What happens to these fast riders when they try to handle the 1000?
    They can ''handle'' a 1000. But to what % of it's abilities. Yeah sure. upgrade the suspension. BUT for what?
    Take that 1000 to it's potential. Then complain the suspension sux.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by low rider View Post
    they can ''handle'' a 1000. But to what % of it's abilities. Yeah sure. Upgrade the suspension. But for what?
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    They can ''handle'' a 1000. But to what % of it's abilities. Yeah sure. upgrade the suspension. BUT for what?
    I put an 07 ZX10R shock on my otherwise stock 2003 Suzuki so I wouldn't be the one to do that. It was a nice difference in ride quality. I know what you are saying but for a lot of people they just want the power right away instead of having to spin the motor up. The 1000 gives you that ability. It's like the difference between the 250 and 125 MX bikes of yesteryear. Mods for these bikes are just for looks, sound, or ride quality. Not like when I put the 1216 kit in my GSXR1100 many years ago.

I can solve all your problems right now. Since you are new, take a knowledgable rider with you to examine the bike. If it passes that test make sure all stock parts are included in the sale. Now you have a great bike, the option of selling the parts you don't use to get money back, and the ability to stop complaining about bikes with mods.
    I'll be sure to do that once time comes for me to buy my first bike.

Quote Originally Posted by flameboy182 View Post
    I'll be sure to do that once time comes for me to buy my first bike.
    Any idea what you are leaning towards? Not that it matters because you're going to have a fantastic time no matter what you get but I'm curious.

I put an 07 ZX10R shock on my otherwise stock 2003 Suzuki so I wouldn't be the one to do that. It was a nice difference in ride quality. I know what you are saying but for a lot of people they just want the power right away instead of having to spin the motor up. The 1000 gives you that ability. It's like the difference between the 250 and 125 MX bikes of yesteryear. Mods for these bikes are just for looks, sound, or ride quality. Not like when I put the 1216 kit in my GSXR1100 many years ago.
    An exhaust on a dirt bike (two stroke, no experience with four strokes) makes a huge differnce where power is made.

Any idea what you are leaning towards? Not that it matters because you're going to have a fantastic time no matter what you get but I'm curious.
    So far I've researched the following

-Kawasaki EX250/ Ninja 250R
    -Kawasaki EX500/ Ninja 500R

I've also looked at the Honda CBR250R, but prices are a bit beyond my budget since the bike is still new and hard to come by used. I eventually want to upgrade to a 600cc SS but realistically it probably won't be until I get my M (just passed my M1X course beginning of August) and until I get a lot of riding experience under my belt. I waited until I turned 25 before I got my M1 because of high insurance costs and so I could build up a good driving record.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcat View Post
    Snapped this pic of a guy's exhaust at GP Bikes this afternoon. Enjoy!

Hahaha That tip looks like my eavestrough downspout
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    It is downspout pipe. The Home Depot price tag was still on it on the other side.

It is downspout pipe. The Home Depot price tag was still on it on the other side.
    hahaha gotta love the weekend mechanics.
    In high school when everyone was putting the huge tips on their civics thinking they were awesome my buddy put a big like 2L coffee tin on his just as a joke. It reminds me of this.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    That is not eavestrough but a furnace ducting elbow. At least it won't rust. HD here stands for Home Despot. I actually saw this on an older Honda CB750 here in Scarborough. Maybe the same rider?

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
    That is not eavestrough but a furnace ducting elbow. At least it won't rust. HD here stands for Home Despot. I actually saw this on an older Honda CB750 here in Scarborough. Maybe the same rider?
    Here's another shot. Same bike? It's in some rough shape. It could use some love. Including a non-bald rear tire.

Here's another shot. Same bike? It's in some rough shape. It could use some love. Including a non-bald rear tire.

It looks like the laundry basket is the most useful thing on that bike lol
    2001 CBR F4i

mods = dope
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic29682_1.gif

I was not a part of that class.

QUARTER LITRE WITH CHEESE

I have a garden gnome and a waterfall on my bike...I can't see how anyone couldn't find that a tasteful upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JFD View Post
    Why? It's about personalization.

if you're comment is in regards to used bike prices and how sellers seem to think mods are increasing the value of a bike (to often regain the costs of those parts), that's a different story.
    yep, in my book, mods decrease the value of a used bike. As a buyer how are you going to get insurance without lying. Insurers look for reasons to jack rates. When you see a modded bike for sale can the odometer be trusted? It's so easy to disconnect. Any mods you are right is about personalization, expecting a future buyer to pay for this personalization is romper room.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    yep, in my book, mods decrease the value of a used bike. As a buyer how are you going to get insurance without lying. Insurers look for reasons to jack rates. When you see a modded bike for sale can the odometer be trusted? It's so easy to disconnect. Any mods you are right is about personalization, expecting a future buyer to pay for this personalization is romper room.
    What are you talking about?
    AFAIK insurance companies only care about major engine modifications. i.e. swapped motor, turbo, etc...
    And you can play with the mileage of a stock bike as well. Your logic makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just me.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Your logic makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just me.
    It's you. I can find several bike listings on kijiji or craigslist with mods where the seller is asking a premium price thinking these so called mods make the bike worth more. Are you one of those sellers?

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    AFAIK insurance companies only care about major engine modifications. i.e. swapped motor, turbo, etc...
    And you can play with the mileage of a stock bike as well. Your logic makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just me.
    it's not you. Somehow he correlated mods to odometer fraud.
    Most sport bikes get an exhaust. I don't paying a bit extra for a full titanium akro on a used bike. For some reason we have some folks on here thinking the motor will explode cause it's making an extra 5-10hp. They can always put a stock exhaust back on.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    it's not you. Somehow he correlated mods to odometer fraud.
    It's you. All I said, how can you trust a modded bike. That would include the odometer. On my bike, it's as easy as a screwdriver pressing on the tab and pulling out the cable and tie wrapping it out of the way. You are not required to report km to mto for a bike. If odometer fraud happens it's the buyer who is being defrauded with misinformation. That's another subject. The point is a modded bike is worth less not more than a bike in original condition.