So called upgrades, Why Bother? - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So called upgrades, Why Bother?

Re: So called upgrades, Why Bother?

I find that most people who put on parts to make the bike faster rarely know how to handle a completely stock bike, so in fact they have wasted their money.
    Learn to ride the bike in stock form then replace something that makes you faster.
    I know a lot of fast riders, and only a few of them can handle a stock GSXR1000.
    Making a stock GSXR faster for street is just crazy.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

The "personalization" thing I can understand a bit but when you start messing with the engine, exhaust etc. to "improve" performance then I suspect that you've bought the wrong bike. If you buy a 600 and spend to "upgrade" it then maybe you should have bought a 750 or 1000.

Back in my day, modifications meant that your bored and stroked the engine.
    Flow the heads, put a lumpy race cam put biggers carbs, and maybe and exhaust.
    Widen the swing arm to accept a bigger rear tire, put bigger disks, lower the suspension, replace the airbox. Put a fork brace, strengthen the frame, put nitrious, and maybe turbo, run AV gas due to higher compression, due to shaving the head, All the while trying to keep the bike looking as stock as hell so it was a sleeper.

Look at what we have today as mods?????

I hear people saying that they've modded the hell out of their bikes because they have levers, windscreen, and a pipe.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

^ what a senseless post.

Plenty of people still do all the mods you just mentioned. But just because you don't spend $5k on the engine and another 5k on a turbo doesn't mean you're not "modding" your bike. That's a high horse you're sitting on there buddy

Regarding the original topic: people like to tinker and personalize their bikes. I put exhausts on all my bikes, not for performance but for the look and sound. I always install fender eliminators, smaller signals, and an aftermarket mirror to change up the look. The rest of the mods are usually a comfy seat if necessary, maybe some adjustable levers for looks and function, and other stuff like that.

I've never felt the urge to do power upgrades to my 1000s because they have tons of power as it is. There are some mods you can always do to improve throttle response and beef up the midrange... those mods can be felt every time you ride your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    Back in the day all original meant something. Keeping your bike stock with oem parts has to be worth more than a bike with questionable performance upgrades. Is it me or anyone else also thinks keeping it real is better?
    If you know anything about most modern motorcycles.

Stock sucks! Esp suspensions.

What if you mod your 1000? should I have bought a hayabusa? Lights/levers/windscreens aren't mods to me. I'm not a cert. mechanic and replaced the frame and installed all my other aftermarket parts, does that make my bike a rolling death trap? You can tell if the parts were installed by a hack (rounded nuts, scratches, etc.) and if your worried about who installed your slip-on, check the two bolts that hold it on, heck you have no idea who's worked on the bike, take the plastics off and check everything so YOU know it's safe Brand new bikes should be checked too, just because you have a liscence doesn't make you a good mechanic just like having an M liscence doesn't make you a good rider. I'd be alot more wary of a bike that has internal mods/head work than stuff like an exhaust/pc/levers/lights.

BTW when I did my "power upgrades" my bike now makes WAY more power between 4-7000rpm where I can use it, sensless mod?
    Last edited by dricked; 09-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    If you know anything about most modern motorcycles.

Stock sucks! Esp suspensions.
    F800 rider, no doubt. I'd upgrade that suspension before leaving the dealership.

And no, most modern motorcycles don't need suspension upgrades. Entry level and cheap bikes need upgrades.

I can solve all your problems right now. Since you are new, take a knowledgable rider with you to examine the bike. If it passes that test make sure all stock parts are included in the sale. Now you have a great bike, the option of selling the parts you don't use to get money back, and the ability to stop complaining about bikes with mods.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDogDarren View Post
    and the ability to stop complaining about bikes with mods.
    at least he didn't post a 7 minute youtube rant about it

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    I know a lot of fast riders, and only a few of them can handle a stock GSXR1000.
    What happens to these fast riders when they try to handle the 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    at least he didn't post a 7 minute youtube rant about it
    Yeah but those are funny! LOL

Banned

These threads get dumber and dumber by the day. Back in the day we actually had good ones...

What happens to these fast riders when they try to handle the 1000?
    Their heads explode.

Back in his day that didn't use to happen though.

Yeah but those are funny! LOL
    More annoying than anything...
    Mina

What a useless post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post
    ^ what a senseless post.

Plenty of people still do all the mods you just mentioned. But just because you don't spend $5k on the engine and another 5k on a turbo doesn't mean you're not "modding" your bike. That's a high horse you're sitting on there buddy

Regarding the original topic: people like to tinker and personalize their bikes. I put exhausts on all my bikes, not for performance but for the look and sound. I always install fender eliminators, smaller signals, and an aftermarket mirror to change up the look. The rest of the mods are usually a comfy seat if necessary, maybe some adjustable levers for looks and function, and other stuff like that.

I've never felt the urge to do power upgrades to my 1000s because they have tons of power as it is. There are some mods you can always do to improve throttle response and beef up the midrange... those mods can be felt every time you ride your bike.
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Back in my day people used to MOD their bikes man, you know like REALLY MOD THEIR BIKES

Today people don't MOD their bikes like back in my day.

Quote Originally Posted by jeero View Post
    Im surprised you ride with me so often lol.

Although you must admit my secondary signals on my passenger pegs are bright as hell.
    I'm usually in front

Snapped this pic of a guy's exhaust at GP Bikes this afternoon. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Low rider View Post
    Back in my day, modifications meant that your bored and stroked the engine.
    Flow the heads, put a lumpy race cam put biggers carbs, and maybe and exhaust.
    Widen the swing arm to accept a bigger rear tire, put bigger disks, lower the suspension, replace the airbox. Put a fork brace, strengthen the frame, put nitrious, and maybe turbo, run AV gas due to higher compression, due to shaving the head, All the while trying to keep the bike looking as stock as hell so it was a sleeper.

Look at what we have today as mods?????

I hear people saying that they've modded the hell out of their bikes because they have levers, windscreen, and a pipe.
    LOL this post borders on curmudgeonly but I like it. I have a lot of respect for that old school kind of mentality. While I have nothing against people adding farkles and whatever to their bike, I have to admit that I have a good chuckle whenever someone lists down things like rim tape and tank protectors as "mods".

I love tinkering with bikes....which is why I prefer old *** bikes haha. If I bought a new bike (provided I had the cash, which I don't) then I'd probably get bored and put stickers all over the damn thing too....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

it all comes down to, different strokes for different folks, to me its all a waste of money, when you crash your bike.