Lane splitting/passing - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lane splitting/passing

Re: Lane splitting/passing

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    hmmm do people get upset when I have to risk my safety by zig zagging past them after the lights turned green because I can't filter to the front? End results is the same I get clear roads ahead of me but clearly 2 different car driver's reactions to ways of getting to that point.
    While you are "zig zagging" past that other traffic, keep this fact in mind:

2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, "race" and "contest" include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.

3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,

ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or

iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

(2) In this section,

"marked departure from the lawful rate of speed" means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (2).
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    So a motorcycle is considered a full sized vehicle and is entitled to the entire lane.. but an actual full size vehicle is not? I see.

You have to? Or you choose to?
    learn to read
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    learn to read
    Sorry. Poorly written. Referring to your point but directed towards the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    I can see how people can get upset about Filtering cause it is very much like cutting in line, and thats rude. I am also one for being polite and I dislike rude and inconsiderate people.

Re: Filtering

I don't find filtering to be cutting in line, or rude, or selfish. Do people get upset at cyclists filtering through stopped traffic? If they do they're a bunch of selfish pricks. Each mode of transportation has its pros and cons. Two wheels should be able to filter in a safe manner through stopped traffic in the heat or cold or rain, and 4 wheel commuters should listen to their radio in their air conditioned environment until the vehicle in front of them moves forward.

As someone who drives a car, I have no issue with a motorcyclist riding past me while I'm stopped in line. In fact, they would cut down on traffic congestion and I would welcome even more cyclists, ebikes (yes I said it), scooters, mopeds, and other motorcyclists to hit the streets. Ride around my car in a safe manner while I'm stopped at a red light. ALL I ASK is that you're faster than I am when I'm taking off the line! Thanks.
    Last edited by mindactivated; 09-20-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: grammar

yes I realize all of that but I rather get my safety bubble. It's not like I'm zig zagging constantly. Once I get ahead of traffic and not many cars around me I'll cruise along at a pace slightly faster than traffic but just sticking to the right lane. If filtering was legal I wouldn't have to supposedly break the law just to get a safety comfort zone. But that was when I was riding in Toronto. Now that I'm riding in Calgary I'll give drivers a well advanced switching lane signal but here people rarely change lanes anyways and they give a huge amount of space between bike and their car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    While you are "zig zagging" past that other traffic, keep this fact in mind:

2. (1) For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, "race" and "contest" include any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:

1. Driving two or more motor vehicles at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed and in a manner that indicates the drivers of the motor vehicles are engaged in a competition.

2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to chase another motor vehicle.

3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,

i. driving a motor vehicle at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed,

ii. outdistancing or attempting to outdistance one or more other motor vehicles while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed, or

iii. repeatedly changing lanes in close proximity to other vehicles so as to advance through the ordinary flow of traffic while driving at a rate of speed that is a marked departure from the lawful rate of speed. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (1).

(2) In this section,

"marked departure from the lawful rate of speed" means a rate of speed that may limit the ability of a driver of a motor vehicle to prudently adjust to changing circumstances on the highway. O. Reg. 455/07, s. 2 (2).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    .... until someone turns left, across your path, which is the most common multi-vehicle collision type, involving motorcycles.

Wait your turn.
    That would be an illegal move. If you're first and a car jets across the intersection making a left turn oncoming, that would be illegal. There is no reason why a bike shouldn't be first given their higher rate of acceleration and not obstructing traffic behind them if they choose to filter ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Torren View Post
    Im against a person putting their priorities over another persons or another persons safety.

Filtering at a light is the same as budding in line at the grocery store because you only have an item or two. Except that at the store people generally ask if they can cut in first. I don't like rude behavior.

Splitting I see as a needless risk. I don't care if someone does something that puts them self at risk, but I take issue when someone puts other people at risk. If you have to wait a couple extra mins behind a slowpoke in the left lane to pass someone so you can get around so be it. It's not going effect your overall travel time by much if any. But if you decide to split and something goes wrong or you startle someone or cause them to take evasive action (required or not) and an accident ensues.. A low risk, but still a needless one.

As far as the law is concerned, I do not agree with lots of them however I still follow them. The laws are our rules on the road. Traffic flows best when everybody is driving predictably. Water will flow down a channel quite smoothly, it will round gradual bends and remain calm. As soon as you add something that deviates the flow (rock for ex) it creates eddys and the flow around the object becomes turbulent. Look at a 4 way stop intersection. Everybody stops and follows the rules and traffic gets through at a more or less constant pace. Get one person who tags behind someone else and that disrupts the pattern and slows everyone else down.

As a motorcycle enthusiast splitting/filtering bothers me because is pisses car drivers off. It makes us as a group look bad. So when we want things like to be included in the HOV lanes on the highway, it makes it that much harder to get public support.
    All passing should be banned too...don't be selfish, wait behind all other cars that arrived at that space and time before you. No passing, even if there is room, don't do it, don't be selfish and try to get ahead of anyone, that would make you some sort of scum!

Buddy you're dreaming...filtering doesn't make bikers look bad...you seriously need to try driving somewhere else to know what you're talking about. You make excuses for cage rage.

Have any of you anti-filtering crowd ever driven in filtering accepted driving cultures? Do you even know how it came to be tolerated and widely accepted in said cultures? Guys seriously, some of you are caught in a perpetually paranoid nanny culture and have become spell bound by this new 172 law, insane insurance rates and a society's negative stereo type of bikes. You're some seriously self loathing "house"-bikers that actually get off on chastising others with your cop-like rigid interpretation of the law. I've seen cops get softer boners than you guys over this issue!

Pfft.
    Last edited by awyala; 01-28-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awyala View Post
    That would be an illegal move. If you're first and a car jets across the intersection making a left turn oncoming, that would be illegal. There is no reason why a bike shouldn't be first given their higher rate of acceleration and not obstructing traffic behind them if they choose to filter ahead.
    You remind me of my ex, bringing back a topic that was beaten to death just to try to start an arguement.

If you want to filter then do it, Just don't complain if anything happens.
    If you want to ride by the rules and not give motorcycles a worse name then they alreadt have then thats fine as well.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

And so is blowing through other traffic, in order to be first at the light. Like I said, wait your turn.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by mindactivated View Post
    Re: Filtering

I don't find filtering to be cutting in line, or rude, or selfish. Do people get upset at cyclists filtering through stopped traffic? If they do they're a bunch of selfish pricks. Each mode of transportation has its pros and cons. Two wheels should be able to filter in a safe manner through stopped traffic in the heat or cold or rain, and 4 wheel commuters should listen to their radio in their air conditioned environment until the vehicle in front of them moves forward.

As someone who drives a car, I have no issue with a motorcyclist riding past me while I'm stopped in line. In fact, they would cut down on traffic congestion and I would welcome even more cyclists, ebikes (yes I said it), scooters, mopeds, and other motorcyclists to hit the streets. Ride around my car in a safe manner while I'm stopped at a red light. ALL I ASK is that you're faster than I am when I'm taking off the line! Thanks.
    I've had bicyclists pull up on the right and then move to the centre of the lane at the cross walk, slowing down the 15-20 cars lined up behind them. Not very good for the environment.

As far as motorcyclists are concerned the majority that would split aren't concerned about going faster than you, they just want to be ahead. If they weren't so fragile, there could be a bump rule, whereby they'd pull over when you run into the back of them. Actually, that would be good for cars and the above mentioned bicycles too.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

You're some seriously self loathing "house"-bikers that actually get off on chastising others with your cop-like rigid interpretation of the law. I've seen cops get softer boners than you guys over this issue!
    Thats not "our" interpretation of the law, thats just the law of the land. Tell it to the judge and spare me your whining.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.