Additional Driver Question

Thread: Additional Driver Question

Additional Driver Question

Hi Everyone,

Okay so I just got my M2 last week and have a ninja 250r. Its been a blast so far. I have a younger brother who is 18 years old, and is getting caught up in the motorcycle hype. If I were to add him as a second driver on the bike, how much can I except my premium to go up? I live in Brampton and he has a clean record.

Thanks,

Re: Additional Driver Question

Being discussed in another thread:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ight=INSURANCE
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Insurance is based on the highest-rated operator. If you are 17yo or 18yo, then your premium won't change at all because you and your brother are equally risky. If you are 19yo to 24yo, it could increase quite a bit. If you are 25yo+, it will increase a LOT. Basically, by adding your brother to the policy the entire policy premium will be determined using his rating characteristics instead of yours.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

When i added my brother to my policy, hes 2 years OLDER then me. It cost about $1200 additional! But they made a mistake (put licensed date to this year instead of last year) but after it was cleared up, it didn't add any premiums because i'm the higher risk driver. But in your case, since hes younger and assuming he just got his license, your looking at doubling (almost) your premiums!

Easiest way to find out would be to just do a quote using his information.

Yeesh, how unfortunate we are to have brothers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My List of Bikes
    2008 Yamaha R6 - Raven
    Ohlins Steering Damper | FXR Dual Halo Projectors | Pazzo Adjustable Levers | Pitbull Spools | Shogun Frame Sliders | Double Bubble Windscreen
    Passenger Peg LED | Hotbodies Undertail - Smoke| Hotbodies Racing Flush Mount LED Front Turn Signals | LED Third Eye | Fender Eliminator