Picking up gear today!

Thread: Picking up gear today!

Picking up gear today!

I'm heading out to GP Bikes and Royal Distributing today to get all my gear for my course this weekend (I know it's a bit late but i couldn't get up there until now)

Any last minute tips for gear shopping?

I'm picking up a helmet, jacket and gloves

Re: Picking up gear today!

Boots, you need some type of ankle-high boot that (obviously) covers the ankle (in the Humber course I took, they wouldn't let you ride without 'em). Also, there's a chance of rain this weekend...strongly suggest some type of rain suit to lessen the misery of standing in the rain for hours and hours, drenched...(you can get rain suits at Canadian Tire, Mark's Workwear House and Bass Pro, where I got my Frogg Toggs brand for about $65 +taxes). When I took my course, I also invested in boot coverings, just so my boots didn't get drenched through.

Good luck.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

GP Bikes is a great place! Was just there a few weeks ago, they had all gloves at 30% off, I think. They also had a clearance section too, I think. Staff is pretty knowledgeable too.

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Motorcycle View Post
    I'm heading out to GP Bikes and Royal Distributing today to get all my gear for my course this weekend (I know it's a bit late but i couldn't get up there until now)

Any last minute tips for gear shopping?

I'm picking up a helmet, jacket and gloves
    Take your time picking the right helmet, try several models from several brands and see which one fits your head best.
    Get gloves that cover your wrists and boots that cover your ankles.
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Take your time picking the right helmet, try several models from several brands and see which one fits your head best.
    Get gloves that cover your wrists and boots that cover your ankles.
    +10000 to that

I was stupid enough to not understand that brand names with high price tags don't necessarily mean good quality or good fit, and ended up with a $500 Shoei that is just really worse than my $100 Zox, in pretty much every aspect I can think of except for weight.

Gloves that cover the wrist, boots that cover your ankles. Not all helmets are made equal. Make sure you try some on and get the ones that fit you. One of the sales guys at Royal was giving horrible helmet advise last time I was there (it was basically more expensive helmet, better protection.....and he didn't help or care about the fit or pinch points).
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Thanks so much for the advice. I have some good boots that are more than ankle height so I think I'm covered on that front.

responses like these are one of the reasons I love the motorcycle community

If you are looking to save a bit of money then go rent all that at Studio Cycle Gear.

They rent out entire packages. Might be a wiser choice than dropping all that cash on gear that might not match your motorcycle in the future.

http://www.humber.ca/motorcycle/studiogearrental.pdf

Gear shopping went great! Under budget even!
    I considered renting, but I decided I'd rather buy now. I got mostly black gear so I'm good matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Because_Motorcycle View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice. I have some good boots that are more than ankle height so I think I'm covered on that front.

responses like these are one of the reasons I love the motorcycle community
    Agreed... this forum is much more helpful and welcoming than any car forum i've been on

don't forget to have a tough pair of pants! I'm also taking the course this weekend and have learned in the lecture session that i need a better pair of gloves.

Will I manage in a leather jacket this weekend? i have an Alpinestars Indy leather jacket... I was betting on the weather being a little cooler this time of year but this weekend's weather is well above average... should i invest in a textile or mesh jacket??

leather could be tough... I did my course mid august in my fall leather jacket (not even a motorcycle one, since I figured I'll wait til I'm actually set on the bike)
    I was sweating buckets hah, but I was having too much fun to be concerned

Gotta stress the point on getting boots. I fell once, going very slow, the only part that bruised was my foot/ankle because the bike falls on you Luckily, I wasnt wearing running shoes, or I woulda been in ALOT of pain after that very slow speed spill (20kmh).

I was wearing hiking boots, they covered ankles and were pretty durable...however riding boots offer much more protection, much more durable and you can walk away without feeling a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by luujerr View Post
    Will I manage in a leather jacket this weekend? i have an Alpinestars Indy leather jacket... I was betting on the weather being a little cooler this time of year but this weekend's weather is well above average... should i invest in a textile or mesh jacket??
    You will be fine. The weekend is under 30, you will just be a bit uncomfortable. Remember to drink water.
    95 RS125 (track), 05 DL650 (street), 89 FZR400 (project)

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    You will be fine. The weekend is under 30, you will just be a bit uncomfortable. Remember to drink water.
    Water is key. You'll sweat more than you realize. Plus make sure you dont have any plans sat night or you'll really feel sunday.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Water! I drank 2 litres on my first day, thinking it'd be enough. WRONG. I got a massive headache/heat exhaustion Saturday night when I got home. Sunday I returned with 4 litres, and I was still cutting it close

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Water! I drank 2 litres on my first day, thinking it'd be enough. WRONG. I got a massive headache/heat exhaustion Saturday night when I got home. Sunday I returned with 4 litres, and I was still cutting it close
    Yeah... thats the thing with riding... you sweat and the wind/air movement evaporates it before you realize. I know as an instructor I get exhausted and thirsty and I'm not trying to learn how to ride a bike.. Just teaching it.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Quote Originally Posted by luujerr View Post
    Not sure which school you're with, but at the Humber course, they did allow you to use a jean jacket in lieu of a leather jacket (should be lighter than the leathers...).
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    Not sure which school you're with, but at the Humber course, they did allow you to use a jean jacket in lieu of a leather jacket (should be lighter than the leathers...).
    Regardless of school we all have to meet ministry standards.

Heavy material boot that covers the ankle (heavy canvas or leather or reconized motorcycle boot)
    Gloves that cover the wrist (leather is what ministry calls for but most schools accept reconized motorcycle gloves that cover the wrist but thats up to the senior on site)
    Leather or Jean coat (or motorcycle coat with padding and ballistics material)
    DOT approved helmet (or another reconized standard aside from the British standard)
    Jeans or motorcycle pants

If there are any questions ask the senior whos on site. That person will be the one with the ministry signing authority. Its their license on the line so up to them.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

If you must buy a jacket today get a textile or mesh one. The mesh one will vent better. The textile one will be waterproof. Both should have elbow and back armour. I wear my mesh jacket the most during the season, then my leather jacket. This Saturday will be 32C, 40% chance of rain. A jean jacket with elbow pads would do if you're short of cash.

Gauntlet gloves will be better for general riding. I also prefer over the ankle boots, though not necessarily motorcycle-specific ones.