Wheelie with a 250r

Thread: Wheelie with a 250r

Wheelie with a 250r

Hey guys,

So I don't want to get huge into stunting, I'd just like to know how to do a wheelie in a controled environment. I researched it a bit on youtube and it seems that with the 250r they say you need to pull up on the handlebars... but when I watched a youtube video of it the guy just seems to pop the clutch.

Anyway, I tried it out yesterday.. just reving up the engine and popping the clutch while leaning back and it wasn't working. Fearing for clutch damage I stopped.

Any tips or tricks?
    black kawi ninja 250r
    -----
    http://www.c25k.ca

Re: Wheelie with a 250r

Right gear, right rpm and the proper ground speed all are factors. It's a pretty quick slip to pop it up. Remember to keep a couple fingers covering the clutch and your foot ready to feather the rear brake. Don't panic and put your feet back as that just puts your weight even further back.

I've seen other experienced riders pop a wheelie different from me, the basics are the same for all but, some people just have their own style, for example on my small supermoto 250cc, i pop the clutch at 3900-4000 rpms, pull the bars just slightly, i let my weight do all the pulling, and when the bikes front tire lifts off the ground, i just sit 2-3 inches back and the bike comes up faster then a dirty whore.lol and i never let my elbows loose, i always pull the bike towards me with the upper part of my body, the further vertical the bike goes to sustain a long lasting wheelie the more closer your head and upper body leans into the bike handle bars etc "its hard to explain on paper", and i keep my elbows locked... if you've ever seen stunters loose the bike, where the bike takes off while they are trying to grab it but can't, its because of this exact reason, i learned this the hard way. If you can master wheelies on a 200-300 cc, you can wheelie any cc bike easily! again others may differ, but my style of riding is unique to how i found riding easy, but my basics are the same.

ohh yea, practice using your right foot on tapping the rear brake, to the point you have the feeling out right in foot of how to and how much pressure, you won't need this as much as when you actually start doing proper wheelies, where you really need this, right now, you won't even have the confidense to hold the wheelie for more then a second before letting go of the throttle. but take you time, and i seriously recommend taking off your fairing and ATLEAST! and adding crash bar ends and frame sliders...

practice it on private property far from city traffic if solo but close enough to call for help if things go bad. keep checking your sproket bolts and rear wheel alignment aswell for starter, and don't worry the clutch can take it, but it will shorten the clutch life overall for sure.

step one should be you finding a long straight road empty etc and ride first gear all the way, and try clutching is at different rpms after your body gets the feeling of the maximum pull of your first gear, then when you find the sweet spot on your rpm, which is usually the torque curve, it should say in your owners manual "max torque @ 4500 rpms or max hp @ 4500rpm" so then you pop your clutch at the starting range of the torque curve, and that jolt is enough to get the bike starting to lift. the step after that is to learn to pull the bike towards you at the same time shift weight, some do it by leaning back, i do it by sliding my butt back because on a supermoto its easier like that, you might have to lean back....its kinda like this....pop clutch at the same time pull handle bars, lean back then lean forward as bike starts to lean back, you gotta just figure out the bikes balance point and then once you do you can use the foot brake and throttle to keep it as smooth and steady as possible. again there probably tons of things im missing, but the basics are here to get you started...this is specifically for a 250, on bigger bikes its much much easier as the cc's get larger, on 1000cc, i just dip the throttle and the bike does a power wheelie like it has too.lol

and once you master sitting wheelies you can, do high chairs etc. good luck ride safe.
    Last edited by ETR; 09-07-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks ETR - that was really helpful, can't wait to go out there and try em out!
    black kawi ninja 250r
    -----
    http://www.c25k.ca

I was told by a mechanic, one that does a lot of stupid/crazy/illegal things on his bike, that trying to wheelie a non-sport bike can and probably will break something. Makes sense to me because on the 600+ all you have to do is rev and it'll go up.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    I was told by a mechanic, one that does a lot of stupid/crazy/illegal things on his bike, that trying to wheelie a non-sport bike can and probably will break something. Makes sense to me because on the 600+ all you have to do is rev and it'll go up.
    Well it sounds like your mechanic doesnt know WTF he is talking about....Almost any bike can wheelie without breaking something....Honda Z/XR/CRF 50's are dirtbikes made for kids that weight less then 70lbs, and still grown ups buy them and wheelie the crap out of them for years without breaking them...And they dont even have a manual clutch......Ask your mechanic how that is possible then

Do not show this to your mechanic then....
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!