Mantha Insurance - "Finding Insurance shouldn't keep you from the open road"

Thread: Mantha Insurance - "Finding Insurance shouldn't keep you from the open road"

Mantha Insurance - "Finding Insurance shouldn't keep you from the open road"

My friend Mike has a not-so-good driving record and it's hard for him to find insurance. He'd have to wait another 2-3 years before he'd get decent rates again.

Now, he was at GP Bikes on the weekend and on his way out saw a little brochure stand by the entrance/checkout with the above text and he called it. Now they're giving him some great rates and he's triple checked and made sure that they understand his bad driving record. Broker said "your car insurance doesn't affect your bike insurance"

Seems fishy/too good to be true. Anyone deal with these guys? Know anything about them?

http://www.manthainsurance.com/mantha/index-2.html

I don't want him getting his hopes up about lower insurance and getting a bike again, only to find out a month into the policy "whoops, we made a mistake, you have to pay an additional $2500"

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nfq; 08-31-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add link to website
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Re: Mantha Insurance - "Finding Insurance shouldn't keep you from the open road"

I received a pamphlet from them when I passed my M2 safety course with RTI. So I would think they are legit.

Re: Mantha Insurance - "Finding Insurance shouldn't keep you from the open road"

well im probably the happiest guy in the world right now and i will be calling them tomorow so i will let you know cause im in the same boat as your friend

Depends on the bike. If you have SS then you're screwed

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    My friend Mike has a not-so-good driving record and it's hard for him to find insurance. He'd have to wait another 2-3 years before he'd get decent rates again. Now, he was at GP Bikes on the weekend and on his way out saw a little brochure stand by the entrance/checkout with the above text and he called it. Now they're giving him some great rates and he's triple checked and made sure that they understand his bad driving record. Broker said "your car insurance doesn't affect your bike insurance"Seems fishy/too good to be true. Anyone deal with these guys? Know anything about them?http://www.manthainsurance.com/mantha/index-2.htmlI don't want him getting his hopes up about lower insurance and getting a bike again, only to find out a month into the policy "whoops, we made a mistake, you have to pay an additional $2500"Thanks in advance.
    Whoever told him your car insurance doesn't affect your bike insurance doesn't know what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    Whoever told him your car insurance doesn't affect your bike insurance doesn't know what they are doing
    That's what I told him. Hence asking here if anyone has dealt with these guys.

I told him, if it's too good to be true, it is.
    If anyone has direct experience with these folks, by all means, please share.

@LiNK666 - no SS. We're talking about insuring a VStrom or DL650 type bike.
    @cutsheal5 - let me know what happens!

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

oh well i have 2 super sports so i guess i wont bother

well i called its a sham they want 15,000$ a year for me,,,LOL

That's what I told him. Hence asking here if anyone has dealt with these guys.

I told him, if it's too good to be true, it is.
    If anyone has direct experience with these folks, by all means, please share.

@LiNK666 - no SS. We're talking about insuring a VStrom or DL650 type bike.
    @cutsheal5 - let me know what happens!
    they said no to a sv650/katana 600 when i was shopping around last year. so i doubt they will insure the vstorm, prob cruiser only, like home for chrome
    2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 Black (ZX6R)
    2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 Silver (SOLD)
    2007 Suzuki SV650 "R" (SOLD)
    2004 Suzuki GSX600 Katana (SOLD)
    2001 Kawasaki ZZR250 Ninja (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    A conviction, whether it be with your car or bike, will apply to both your auto and your bike rates; however, claims can be a little bit different.

First off, a definition of "Driving Record". Your Driving Record is the number of years that you have been insured without making an at-fault claim. Your Driving Record is usually maxes out at 6 for cars (aka a "six-star record") and 3 for bikes. The higher your Driving Record, the lower your premium.

Some companies track independent Driving Records for Autos and Bikes, meaning that it's possible to have an Auto Driving Record of, say, 0 (if you had an auto claim 3MO ago) but a Motorcycle Driving Record of 3 (if you have never made a motorcycle claim). Other insurers (such as State Farm) track a single Auto/Bike driving record (meaning that a claim with either a bike or car affects both your Auto and Bike premiums, since your Auto/Bike Driving record drops to 0).

If the insurance company Mantha represents tracks independent Driving Records for Autos and Bikes, then it's possible that a claim on your auto might not affect your motorcycle premium with that specific insurer.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

To the OP, I have heard of Mantha and am certain they are legit -- I wouldn't worry about that. From their website, it looks like they write their motorcycle policies using Aviva.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    To the OP, I have heard of Mantha and am certain they are legit -- I wouldn't worry about that. From their website, it looks like they write their motorcycle policies using Aviva.
    Thanks Viffer! I'll pass the info on to my friend Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by cutsheal5 View Post
    well i called its a sham they want 15,000$ a year for me,,,LOL
    That's a deal man! I got quoted $18,000

Thanks Viffer! I'll pass the info on to my friend Mike.
    Do a serach for "Mantha" and you will find that they are a member of RIBO (Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario) which means they are licensed broker and are hence legit:

http://www.ribo.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=4 4

A conviction, whether it be with your car or bike, will apply to both your auto and your bike rates; however, claims can be a little bit different.

First off, a definition of "Driving Record". Your Driving Record is the number of years that you have been insured without making an at-fault claim. Your Driving Record is usually maxes out at 6 for cars (aka a "six-star record") and 3 for bikes. The higher your Driving Record, the lower your premium.

Some companies track independent Driving Records for Autos and Bikes, meaning that it's possible to have an Auto Driving Record of, say, 0 (if you had an auto claim 3MO ago) but a Motorcycle Driving Record of 3 (if you have never made a motorcycle claim). Other insurers (such as State Farm) track a single Auto/Bike driving record (meaning that a claim with either a bike or car affects both your Auto and Bike premiums, since your Auto/Bike Driving record drops to 0).

If the insurance company Mantha represents tracks independent Driving Records for Autos and Bikes, then it's possible that a claim on your auto might not affect your motorcycle premium with that specific insurer.
    Interesting I assume that doesn't apply to convictions though. i.e. if you have a careless driving conviction on bike it'll affect your car insurance right?

i have insurance through mantha. they sold me jevco insurance for my zed.
    they are legit. hope it all works out for you.
    06-z750s

Quote Originally Posted by LiNK666 View Post
    Interesting I assume that doesn't apply to convictions though. i.e. if you have a careless driving conviction on bike it'll affect your car insurance right?
    That is correct. That's what I meant when I wrote that "a conviction, whether it be with your car or bike, will apply to both your auto and your bike rates; however, claims can be a little bit different."

That is correct. That's what I meant when I wrote that "a conviction, whether it be with your car or bike, will apply to both your auto and your bike rates; however, claims can be a little bit different."
    This was the case for my friend Mike, as he had no convictions but claims.

Long story short, these brokers helped him out, and he'll be riding his new-to-him VStrom this Thursday, insurance and all

Thanks guys.

Cool thanks for being the insurance info powerhouse. It's a confuzing matta