US Track Days Insurance Coverage

Thread: US Track Days Insurance Coverage

Mississauga ('08 ZX-14 Street, '02 GSXR750 Track))

US Track Days Insurance Coverage

So with the recent changes to most policies they are now excluding all forms of "contests of speed".

Does anyone know who still has coverage? My old time standby Ralf Scholtes is now out of the game, anyone else?
    DVS in name....DVS in nature.....

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

Re: US Track Days Insurance Coverage

The only option is a "PER EVENT" term coverage available through the CMA, but you must have a CMA competition license and I believe it is only applicable for sanctioned race events.

This option is only $250k coverage, which is EASILY eaten up in with a minor crash in the US.

Thanks Reciprocity, I was hoping you or someone who's likely to participate in racing events across the border would pipe up. Now let me say, holy freaking crap! So what that essentially means is that no Canadians can go down and participate in sporting events. ie. Bicycle mountain bike events, etc.

I think the Canadian tracks just got a bit busier....
    Last edited by DVS; 08-31-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

I have coverage through my Ontario Blue Cross private health insurance policy. They reliably inform me that i'm covered under the 'travel insurance' part of the policy. I ask every time we go down to be 100%. As long as it's not for competition or a prize of any sort then I'm covered. And I'm limited to 2 weeks at a time. Not that I'm ever going to be down in the US for more than 2 weeks riding at the track.

Thanks Fiery, I'll check them out. Hopefully they haven't included this exclusion in any new policies that they write.

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Are we talking health insurance or automobile insurance? I would assume your auto insurance isn't valid for any type of racing events since everytime I get a new policy they ask me if I plan on using the vehicle for any type of racing/competition and they told me if I answer "yes" they won't give me a policy.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

We're talking medical insurance. In case you chip a finger nail or summat and have to visit A & E. It's a little pricey to get an emergency manicure in the States.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    We're talking medical insurance. In case you chip a finger nail or summat and have to visit A & E. It's a little pricey to get an emergency manicure in the States.
    Ok, makes more sense. I really should look into what kind of coverage I have in the US.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I have coverage through my Ontario Blue Cross private health insurance policy. They reliably inform me that i'm covered under the 'travel insurance' part of the policy. I ask every time we go down to be 100%. As long as it's not for competition or a prize of any sort then I'm covered. And I'm limited to 2 weeks at a time. Not that I'm ever going to be down in the US for more than 2 weeks riding at the track.
    Hey Fiery check with them again, I just called Ontario Blue Cross regarding a policy and they specifically state they don't cover anything that involves speed such as a motorcycle track. I was very specific in indicating that I am not competing and I am not a professional being compensated.

I don't want you to get jammed if you need them.

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post
    Hey Fiery check with them again, I just called Ontario Blue Cross regarding a policy and they specifically state they don't cover anything that involves speed such as a motorcycle track. I was very specific in indicating that I am not competing and I am not a professional being compensated.

This is the same info I received.

Remember... its all a scam, they will do whatever they can to get out of the bill.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    This is the same info I received.
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Remember... its all a scam, they will do whatever they can to get out of the bill.
    Everytime I go down I call and check to see if the policy has changed. Up to April this year (last trip) I was told I was covered. Now I have a $400 a month private medical insurance policy with them and the travel insurance is included in that. If you buy a stand alone travel policy then the terms and conditions may be different. I don't know. However I will continue to talk to them before I travel just so eastcoast_gsx isn't proven right!

Were you guys asking about stand alone travel insurance plans or as part of a general health insurance plan?

I certainly don't have (and can't afford) a $400 per month private medical insurance policy ... I have a standard Blue Cross general travel insurance policy that covers trips up to 15 days, the same one everyone normally gets when you get a Blue Cross policy. For me, it's meant for business trips (self employed) and the occasional vacation trip. It excludes "contests of speed" same as what the others have been saying.

I looked into getting a benefits package to replace the one I had through previous employment, and at $175 per month, I passed. But $400 per month ... ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I certainly don't have (and can't afford) a $400 per month private medical insurance policy ... I have a standard Blue Cross general travel insurance policy that covers trips up to 15 days, the same one everyone normally gets when you get a Blue Cross policy. For me, it's meant for business trips (self employed) and the occasional vacation trip. It excludes "contests of speed" same as what the others have been saying.

I looked into getting a benefits package to replace the one I had through previous employment, and at $175 per month, I passed. But $400 per month ... ! ! !
    The $400 is for a whole family plan and is reinbursed by my employer. The point i was trying to make, when I mentioned the cost, is that the benefits, term and conditions may be different because it is a wholly different plan from just a stand alone travel policy. Which may be the case. Like I said, I always call and check before I travel.
    Last edited by Fiery254; 09-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.

There is another option.

If you OWN property in the US, you can get RACING coverage. I spoke with a guy who's business is motorcycle racing insurance, but it is a NO GO for Canadians, unless you own a house or such in the USA. It is a US based policy not a Canadian one. Maybe if we all co-own a $1000 house in Detroit.

http://ridersurance.com/
    Last edited by Metastable; 09-04-2011 at 12:02 AM.

I was reading about Brandon on the WERA forum, it sounds like he's the go to guys for WERA as well.

Link to track day pics

Link to track day vids

On Yahoo Video

On Vimeo

Soooo was just watching AMA Pro SBK final round on speed and McCormick was competing (he actually had a big off, brought out the red)....where does he get his coverage from or is he just hoping for the best with the 250k coverage.....which I highly doubt seeing as it's his lively hood? Serious question

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy929 View Post
    Soooo was just watching AMA Pro SBK final round on speed and McCormick was competing (he actually had a big off, brought out the red)....where does he get his coverage from or is he just hoping for the best with the 250k coverage.....which I highly doubt seeing as it's his lively hood? Serious question
    There are different coverages available as a PROFESSIONAL racer.

I had to obtain one of these when I moved from the Amateur supermoto class to the Pro class in 2009, they are much more expensive.

The previous coverage available from Lakeridge financial did not cover professionals.

Ok, so are we all going to pitch in on a ghetto unit in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    There are different coverages available as a PROFESSIONAL racer.

I had to obtain one of these when I moved from the Amateur supermoto class to the Pro class in 2009, they are much more expensive.

The previous coverage available from Lakeridge financial did not cover professionals.
    Ahhh thanks for the info!