First time at Ganaraska - I'm hooked!

Thread: First time at Ganaraska - I'm hooked!

First time at Ganaraska - I'm hooked!

So I went to the Ganny for the first time yesterday. What a humbling experience - I think I spent more time picking up my bike than I did riding. And today I feel like a took a beating from 5 dudes with baseball bats. Much respect to you dirt riders out there. A big thanks to nally for showing me around and helping me get out some of the tighter stuff.

Anyways, I'm hooked now and I will be going again next weekend with some better gear. I understand GP bikes is a good place for off-road gear?

I'm running Pirelli Scoprion MT90 S/T tires (95% road) on my DR650 and was surprised how well they worked. There was only one time in a patch of deep sand that the bike felt stuck after a tip-over and spinning the tire generated almost no forward motion, but with low throttle and some Flintstone action I was able to get moving again pretty quick. I do wish I had a lighter bike with more aggressive tires to learn on, so I'll probably take one of those courses where they provide you with a bike to get some more skills. I'll definitely switch to more dirt-oriented tires as well.

In the meantime, if you see me there, stick around to get some good laughs

Re: First time at Ganaraska - I'm hooked!

Sweet, sounds like fun. GP Bikes has alot of stuff. Good store. Royal DIS has tons too and they are next door..in whitby.

I just got back into riding and im dying to hit the ganny. Never been.

What are the requirements to ride there?
    what kinda insurance is needed?

I have a dual sport, so my regular plate and insurance apply. For a dirt-only bike you have to get a green plate (doesn't need to be renewed) and offroad insurance which I think is $200/year. For Ganny you also need a trail pass which is $125/year or something (or $25/day).

is the ganny good this time of year or is it very muddy? im thinking of going next weekend OCT 1 st for the first time. got my papers in order finally. any specific areas to avoid?

i have a yz250

The ganny is mostly sand so the wetter the better! If it keeps raining like yesterday there will be some muddy spots.

Wooo hooooo so much fun I was there on Tuesday with doing the trail tours course on a Honda 150. So much fun and yes good description on how it feels the next day and the day after. lol It's Saturday and I'm still hurting. When I caugh my ribs still hurt. We lucked out cause it rained Monday and Tuesday was sunny with some clouds. Went through some fun mud patches and taking corners in the sand was so much fun!!!
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I saw this link in another post, you might find it useful. They are pretty close to you

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ316337154

Quote Originally Posted by YZMoto View Post
    thinking of going next weekend OCT 1 st for the first time.
    Me and a buddy will probably be there that weekend too. PM me if you wanna meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    I saw this link in another post, you might find it useful. They are pretty close to you

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ316337154
    Sweet, thx!

i'm going this weekend.. anyone?
    01 xr650
    92 zx7
    82 cb450

I was thinking of going this weekend. Probably sunday or monday.

What's the rules with kids on bikes? Just picked up a PW80 for my 9 year old and would love to take him trail riding eventually.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    What's the rules with kids on bikes? Just picked up a PW80 for my 9 year old and would love to take him trail riding eventually.
    Theoretically it is not good. You are supposed to have liability insurance when riding on the trail and good luck getting that for your kid. I've had good luck at Ganaraska in that you pay your $20 for the day and they don't ask for ownership or insurance at the shop but I've heard stories of people being stopped on the trails. I've also heard of people being stopped in the Simcoe County Forrest. If you go to the SCORRA website you can get more info. I think there is a way around the insurance for your son because of some option that lets you insure others on a vehicle that you own.
    If you want to ride a lot of the trails you should join http://www.oftr.ca/page.php?id=312 cost is minimal.
    It costs nothing to register for the SCORRA website and they have a lot of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    You need plate and insurance if you want to ride anywhere except your own property. If you broker doesn't know what they are talking about call State Farm. Should be less than $100/yr.

DO NOT ride without insurance. The police patrol the forest on occasion and they stop everybody.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

You're taking a chance by riding crown land without plate and insurance.Last year I seen five group of guys getting more than $500 in fines each.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad