Buying a used Bike privately...

Thread: Buying a used Bike privately...

Buying a used Bike privately...

A few questions...

Going to be buying a used bike privately

1.) When getting plates for the bike, this is when we pay taxes correct?

2.) Safety, UVIP, ownership and proof of insurance to get plates is what is required? anything else?

3.) they change the ownership in my name after the HST is collected correct?

4.) HST is it charged on a "blue book" value or actual mount paid?

5.) What do I NOT want to see on the UVIP? (Branding, lien?, etc...)

6.) Will the UVIP show if the bike has a clear title? (no lien)

7.) Is the UVIP Bill of sale good enough or should i have an extra bill of sale with me?

7.) Anything else? Words of wisdom? advice? Anything you've been burned on buying a used bike privately...

Any help is appreciated

Re: Buying a used Bike privately...

There's already a lot of this information on these forums. Here's a sticky from this subforum: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ying-your-bike
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

A few questions...

Going to be buying a used bike privately

1.) When getting plates for the bike, this is when we pay taxes correct? Technically when tranferring ownership you pay tax, you can do this without getting plates although most people do both at the same time

2.) Safety, UVIP, ownership and proof of insurance to get plates is what is required? anything else? I don't remember needing anything else.

3.) they change the ownership in my name after the HST is collected correct? Yes (although they more happen in parallel, you can't pay the HST without the transfer and you can't get the transfer without paying the HST)

4.) HST is it charged on a "blue book" value or actual mount paid? No blue book for bikes so amount on bill of sale gets used. Sometimes they send a letter to buyer and seller in a few months asking the price paid. If anyone returns that letter, it damn well better match what you told the MTO when registering your vehicle. Most people just throw out these letters as they aren't registered and they have no way to know that you received it.

5.) What do I NOT want to see on the UVIP? (Branding, lien?, etc...)

6.) Will the UVIP show if the bike has a clear title? (no lien) Yes, although if it shows a lien, it is not always a disaster, just more work. Liens seem to hang around after payment and don't always get cleared off. Make sure they are discharged before you transfer the title.

7.) Is the UVIP Bill of sale good enough or should i have an extra bill of sale with me? Any bill of sale is good enough, I normally write my own where the seller acknowledges that they are the sole owner of the property and all included items (or something along those lines). I have never needed to use it, but if someone comes after me, I have a path back to the seller. I try to get them to write a license number on the bill of sale (for expensive items), but some refuse and I will settle without it.

7.) Anything else? Words of wisdom? advice? Anything you've been burned on buying a used bike privately... Make sure you bring someone that knows about bikes. Even if you know your stuff, your vision will be coloured by thoughts of the open road, an independent third party can think more clearly.

Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    A few questions...
    Sometimes they send a letter to buyer and seller in a few months asking the price paid. If anyone returns that letter, it damn well better match what you told the MTO when registering your vehicle. Most people just throw out these letters as they aren't registered and they have no way to know that you received it.

You just put me at ease, I had thrown out three of these letters so far lol.

Yes always be sure to bring someone along. This is for your safety too. Also helps balance things out if the buyer is trying to intimidate/persuade it is always easier for a detached party to just say no or let's go, etc.

Basic things to check: Cold start if possible. Hear the thing run, rev the bike a bit (sometimes the carbs will be terrible and they will warm it up and get it to idle but when you rev it will die instantly). Test ride is always great but not many people allow that. Check for damage/replaced parts which may tip you off its been in an accident which usually leads to more problems than the seller is leading on.

Ask questions about the rider, the bike, and the maintenance. This will tell you a lot indirectly about the condition of the bike. If you see damage, ask about it. If all he says is "it was there when I got it" that might raise a few flags. Even if its true, you would think that they asked the previous owner and got some type of rationale. Just see their reaction and gauge for yourself.

bike is low mileage...
    He let me test drive it when i seen it yesterday...
    he even brought it up...

Ok, guy emailed me the uvip today...

Brand: none
    Lien: 0
    he is the only owner... UVIP verified...

i'm going tomorrow to pick it up...

hopefully i can have it saftied at Rosey Toes on the way home tomorrow