Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Re: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    How do you accomplish such a variance?
    That 90km tank happened only once, took me by complete surprise. The only way I could explain it is I somehow reset my trip meter mid tank, but it's not really something you can accidentally do. My average lies somewhere around 20kmpl probably
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

When I've gone 120 k on my DRZ SM I start looking for gas. I do not notice vibes, mainly because my tolerance for hanging on in the wind is low, looking for a small shield that doesn't look dorky. I put hand guards on it, have the JD jet kit but not installed. I got a bunch of parts from a fellow who was moving, including a Corbin seat which is ok but really too slippery. One of the best things I added was an alloy rear rack - makes a great handle and I mount a small tail/tank bag in it for gloves and water. I have knobby tires front and rear from a dirt model, have not put then on to see what it's like in sand - with the 17 inchers sand is a no go. I am east of the Rouge if you want to sit on it.

Giant 400 lb supermoto on crack = KTM 950 SM......think SV650 motor + 50% more jam, and you get the idea.....Makes you wanna do bad stuff. Probably more comfy and better for longer rides than a 400, but less suited to urban crawl. I managed an easy 3000+ kms last week thru NY,PA,WV,KY, and IN to watch MotoGP and then rode home...the only thing missing was a windscreen. The -1 front sprocket helped alot, as it was geared to the moon in stock form. Seems to be a european bike issue, gearing them for 150 mph.
    Tank easily does 220-240 kms before the low fuel light comes on, even pulling my trailer at 80 mph.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Check out "The DRZ Chronicles" at paochow.com.

Thanks for the offer - I'll likely reach out via PM in the next little while

Quote Originally Posted by AGS View Post
    I am east of the Rouge if you want to sit on it.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Giant 400 lb supermoto on crack = KTM 950 SM......think SV650 motor + 50% more jam, and you get the idea.....Makes you wanna do bad stuff. Probably more comfy and better for longer rides than a 400, but less suited to urban crawl. I managed an easy 3000+ kms last week thru NY,PA,WV,KY, and IN to watch MotoGP and then rode home...the only thing missing was a windscreen. The -1 front sprocket helped alot, as it was geared to the moon in stock form. Seems to be a european bike issue, gearing them for 150 mph.
    Tank easily does 220-240 kms before the low fuel light comes on, even pulling my trailer at 80 mph.
    There are a number of contenders in the "giant supermoto" category, none of which I'm interested in. I'm looking at this as a second bike, alongside my DL1000. The ticket here is small, nimble, urban.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.

I had a DRZ400S, pretty much the same bike, very pleasant to ride, but it needs a 6th gear and the seat is horrible, anything over an hour and it was painfull.

I triued the Suzuki gel-seat and it was worse.

Nice smooth motor. Heavy for a 400 but you don't notice it on the street.

I love my Drz. Sure, the thing is a pig. Sure, it will get dusted by any mx bike. BUT as for a reliable street machine, it doesn't get any better. Who cares about 6th gear??? If you buy a drz to ride on the highway, you are mental, and are buying the wrong bike. Street, track and trails. Cheap insurance and a huge aftermarket make this bike a win win. But what the hell do i know?! thats just my 2 cents!
    "Beware of dinosaurs driving motorcycles! They can be very agressive and don't have opposable thumbs, which can make braking difficult."

As usual a bit late to chim in but...
    Have a look at Husky SMR449 or 511, pretty cheap for what you get, power up kit is required and usually comes with the bike anyway, not a ton in aftermarket yet, but plenty fast anyway for what you are intending. I have a friend/racer who runs a 511, installed an FMF pipe and most 450's are chasing him (he is fast anyway) bike is stock otherwise, loves the way it rides and handles, suspension was adjusted and left alone. 2012 should have better mapping options for efi, maintenance is straightforward - but not as easy as a DRZ.
    Comparing a DRZ to a CRF isn't quite in the same orchard anyway, Recip hits it with his explanation dead on.
    This 511 has no motor work done save the factory supplied kit - rider wants more and the TC cams bring it alive apparently, but you wouldn't really need them for your use. Eats a DRZ, not sure on mileage, most other "specs" you note would be pretty similar.
    The DRZ: a guy raced one this year and faired out pretty well against the 450's, but it had mods done, nothing huge as in cams or stroker, again he was not out front but ran with in race conditions.
    For what you'd pay in extras on the DRZ the Husky might be worth a look.
    RossRochersales.com (?) has them on sale I think, also the 630 !!

Good luck and have fun.

I had a chance to ride a DRZ400sm a couple of weeks ago, and as I suspected, it was just a crapload of fun. All of it's strengths and all of its' weaknesses are exactly what I thought they would be, which is good news. Ergonomically it was very, very comfortable, though to be fair I wasn't in the saddle for hours.

The rear suspension would need stiffening / replacing, that's for sure.

How much do you wait roughly with your gear?

Don't forget you are coming off bikes which do not have suspension travel even close to what DRZ has ....

and the rear NEEDS to squat on corner exits.

This is why riding an SM roadrace style doesn't really work when you start going fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    How much do you wait roughly with your gear?

Don't forget you are coming off bikes which do not have suspension travel even close to what DRZ has ....
    I'm 6'4", 230 lbs in my birthday suit.

Poor rear shock...