Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

I've been toying with the idea of getting into supermoto for a while, and the bug is hitting pretty hard right now.

I've got all kinds of ways of rationalizing it, but I'm pretty sure that the bike I'm going to end up with is a DRZ400 SM. Yes, I know they're slow and heavy, but it ticks all the boxes for me.

I have a DL1000, and a gen2 FZ1, but I live in the city and ride into work in serious traffic. When I never get out of second gear, I'm feeling like all that bike is kind of wasted. And I'd love to get into track days, but I'm not about to track either one of those bikes, and I think a supermoto would be way, way more fun on the right track, and way more practical in the city.

But before I pull the trigger, I'm looking to chat with some owners, particularly folks who own non-stock DRZs. I'd be selling my well-modded 08 FZ1 to finance this, and just want to make sure that given it's such a big change, that I have all the information I can get.

Post up here, PM me, whatever.

Thanks in advance...
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Maybe Uberfetus will chime in, im pretty sure hes rockin one of those badboys!

Re: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Well, for the kind of riding you described, I am convinced (based on me using DRZ400SM for last two seasons) that there's not a better bike. They are inexpensive, easy to maintain, easy to mod if choose so. There's a pile of aftermarket sector as the bike has been around for a while. So it is hard to beat the value. Higher sitting position and wider handle bars sure do help in thick traffic.

The only people who I guess could be disappointed with this bike are the ones who expect it to do well in situations it was not designed for. Long rides, stretching for several hours, especially hwy riding. You can gear the bike up, but it will still not give you 6th gear and more suitable riding position incl. wind protection. Small tank is not helping either. I've seen people to do all kinds of things to work around these issues, but at that point I'd say get a different bike. But I see you have more than one bike, so it will not be your situation.

They will easily keep up with sport bikes on more spirited rides (you will slow them a bit down on straight roads, they will be slowing you down in every corner ....) unless you get into the stupid territory.

Good luck, you have a pleasant problem to solve ...

My SM is parked beside my DL1000 - what a team!

Don't have much experience... but it was ... okay ​for a 3up ! Good tall bike

I only owned my fizzer "briefly", so the DRZ is the first bike I've really put some serious time on. That said, I've spent most of my time on it commuting, and unfortunately find myself on the straights more than I find myself in the curves. Anyways, my bike is mostly stock (no performance mods) so maybe my input won't mean much to you, but this is my second season on the bike now

* Seat sucks.
    * Feels like there should be a 6th gear.
    * No windscreen, can be a bit much at highway speeds
    * 10L tank is a constant annoyance
    * High riding position is great
    * Light weight and nimble
    * Tops out at 150km/h stock if you push it. No tach so who knows how fast this thing is turning at that point
    * Stock brakes are alright
    * Bulletproof engine, low maintenance

Anything specific you want to know, I can try to answer, but I'm not a track rider!
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

Any specific questions? I have had a 400SM with an FCR carb, full exhaust and 3x3 mod as well as a gsx-r600 and a KTM supermoto. The DRZ was the slowest but the most fun of them all by a long shot. HWY wasn't a big deal but I wouldn't want to do a day trip. Enough power to rip around on with a big grin but not so much that your worried about blowing your license. Simple to work on and bullet proof. There isn't a lot of bikes that you can do track days, commute and trail ride with best of all it is inexpensive to run.

i'm in the same boat as the OP, got a Z750 that im considering trading for a DRZ 400 SM, the 2 main reasons I want to trade it are 1) always wanted to try SM 2) by the time I shift into 2nd gear on the street i'm in HTA 172 terrioty, so it doesnt get to stretch its legs much.
    I would be riding the DRZ on the street as well as track days, my question is how far behind CRF 450's will I be on the track?
    Its all fun and games untill someone losses an eye!!..........then its a sport!

Quote Originally Posted by mbroyda View Post
    I would be riding the DRZ on the street as well as track days, my question is how far behind CRF 450's will I be on the track?
    In a different area code.

a CRF250 will suck the numberplates of a DRZ

Track day or racing? In my opinion that's a big difference. I personally wouldn't care much how much slower I'd be behind a racing trim CRF450 or any other racing sumo bike on a nice sunny track day. Track day is about you and your pace, there will always be bikes faster than you and most likely some slower than you. People on different machines ......

If you are planning to race, I wouldn't be putting DRZ into the same sentence, unless it is DRZ only series, which of course doesn't exists.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Unless it is me riding the CRF and you riding the DRZ .... LOL

Awesome - thanks all for the responses.

1. Aftermarket seats - I understand the stock seat sucks. Most stock seats suck. But when I look at the seat on the DRZ400 it looks like a special, specific, menacing kind of torture. Are there decent aftermarket options on the seat?

2. What's the range on a tank? I understand they're small, but what can I expect to get in the city or when it's a little more open?

3. What are the vibes like on the highway? I'm anticipating that they'll be fierce, but are they deal-able for an hour or so? At what speed do they get ridiculous? Could I concievably cruise at 130 kph?

The above questions may make it sound like I'm trying to make the bike a tourer - not the case. I'll be keeping my dl1000 for that, I'm more interested in understanding how streetable the bike is, and whether or not I'm going to hate it if I have to be on the highway for a couple of hours or so at a time.

To the folks who have modded the bike....

1. Would you consider the upgrades worth your while? In other words, is this a bike that's responds well to performance (engine, carburation, suspension) upgrades, or at the end of the day was it money not well spent?

2. Compared to some bikes that I have owned (and I do most of my own maintenance) this looks like a very easy bike to work on. Any dissenting opinions?

3. For folks that have owned other bikes, the cost of ownership seems relatively low. Agree?

And a general question to the supermoto gurus, though I have asked this question before....are there other bikes I should be considering? Here are my full criteria

1. No crazy maintenance schedule. I know that performance in supermotos means maintenance measured in hours, for the most part, and I'm not interested in spending ALL my time wrenching, as this will be a daily driver.
    2. Not stupid expensive.
    3. Good aftermarket support. I like to mod.
    4. A bike that is legal on the streets. I don't know if it's possible to take an off-road or track bike and mod it so it's legal so I can plate it, but I think I recall this wasn't the case.

And if there are any owners willing, I'd love to meet up in a Timmies parking lot somewhere, so I can actually see one in person that's not on a stealership floor. I'm 6'4", 230 lbs with a 36" inseam, so ergonomics are really, really important to me. I'll buy you a coffee if you'll let me swing a leg over the bike to see if I look like a bear on a bicycle, or my legs seize up.

And if there's anyone interested in discussing a trade (or an outright purchase), my gen 2 2008 FZ1 could be up for grabs (not saying it would necessarily be an even swap, but everything's up for discussion). Very long list of mods. Very well taken care of. Mileage is in the high 40K kms area, but if you do the math, it's because this bike was well loved, well taken care of and well ridden. Was dynoed at Wheeler's at Deal's Gap this year at 139 hp at the rear wheel, well up from stock. If you're looking for a sporttouring bike, this is it. SW Motech luggage rack, MRA Vario Windscreen, custom highway pegs (yes, I'm serious, custom made by a member of the FZ1 board), Buell footpeg mod to drop the footpegs 3/4", Oxford heated grips, RAM mount for GPS, Powerlet outlet, hardwired plug for tankbag power, Watsen LED turn signals, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED rear signals. Also included is a Copperdawg screen, Graves Fender Eliminator...blah blah blah blah. Valve inspection intervals are at very long intervals, and mine were just done by Ken (Kneedragger on this board). Lots more - it's a great bike.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Track day or racing? In my opinion that's a big difference. I personally wouldn't care much how much slower I'd be behind a racing trim CRF450 or any other racing sumo bike on a nice sunny track day. Track day is about you and your pace, there will always be bikes faster than you and most likely some slower than you. People on different machines ......

If you are planning to race, I wouldn't be putting DRZ into the same sentence, unless it is DRZ only series, which of course doesn't exists.
    I totally get it, which is why I'm not necessarily looking for the fastest hardware. I'm looking to scratch the track day itch, not be the next Rossi.

1. Aftermarket seats - I understand the stock seat sucks. Most stock seats suck. But when I look at the seat on the DRZ400 it looks like a special, specific, menacing kind of torture. Are there decent aftermarket options on the seat?

Renzaco and Corbin both make aftermarket seats. I got used to the oem but the renzaco is a really nice looking option and gets great reviews, the corbin is kind of goofy looking imo.

2. What's the range on a tank? I understand they're small, but what can I expect to get in the city or when it's a little more open?

150km is about the max you will see. I used to fill up roughly every 120-130km to be on the safe side. You can get bigger aftermarket tanks.

3. What are the vibes like on the highway? I'm anticipating that they'll be fierce, but are they deal-able for an hour or so? At what speed do they get ridiculous? Could I concievably cruise at 130 kph?

Put a 39 tooth rear sprocket on the back and the bike will cruise at 130 all day. Vibes aren't too bad it's the wind thats tough.

1. Would you consider the upgrades worth your while? In other words, is this a bike that's responds well to performance (engine, carburation, suspension) upgrades, or at the end of the day was it money not well spent?

The bike should have at minimum the FCR carb, 3x3 airbox, and full exhaust done. From there you can get into big bores, cams and stroker motors. The sky is really the limit but those first 3 are must do kind of mods. Check out thumpertalk.com.

2. Compared to some bikes that I have owned (and I do most of my own maintenance) this looks like a very easy bike to work on. Any dissenting opinions?

Really just about anyone can turn wrench's on this bike. There are a ton of online write-ups around for most jobs you will do.

3. For folks that have owned other bikes, the cost of ownership seems relatively low. Agree?

Agreed. You would have a tough time finding a cheaper bike to run imo.

1. No crazy maintenance schedule. I know that performance in supermotos means maintenance measured in hours, for the most part, and I'm not interested in spending ALL my time wrenching, as this will be a daily driver.

You can also look at a KTM 690SMC (625smc is fast and fun but the 690 is alot more bike) and Husqavarna 610sm. I don't really know much about the newer Husky 630sm.

2. Not stupid expensive.
    Bang for the buck DRZ is real tough to beat

3. Good aftermarket support. I like to mod.
    I would say there is a greater aftermarket for the DRZ then almost any other bike in any class.

4. A bike that is legal on the streets. I don't know if it's possible to take an off-road or track bike and mod it so it's legal so I can plate it, but I think I recall this wasn't the case.
    You can't blue (street) plate off road models since 2008. You wouldn't want to anyways if your using the bike daily.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post

150km is about the max you will see. I used to fill up roughly every 120-130km to be on the safe side. You can get bigger aftermarket tanks.
    I've hit reserve at 90km (12.8kmpl), all the way up to 175km (25kmpl). I'm cautious and usually fill after 100km
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    In a different area code.

That bad huh?
    Is there anything street legal that would be better than the Drz?
    Its all fun and games untill someone losses an eye!!..........then its a sport!

Quote Originally Posted by espro View Post
    I've hit reserve at 90km (12.8kmpl), all the way up to 175km (25kmpl). I'm cautious and usually fill after 100km
    How do you accomplish such a variance?

That bad huh?
    Yes, but it comes at much higher price and reliability nowhere near DRZ. Nothing is for free ... OP wants a decent commuter and occasional track day machine.
    Last edited by mxs; 08-30-2011 at 10:18 PM.

That bad huh?
    DRZ-SM is about 330lbs, makes about 32-34hp 37 or so with the FCR and 3X3 mod.

CRF250 is 220lbs, 37-38hp, my SM racer was 41hp

CRF450 is 230lbs 50 or so HP, my current 450 makes about 60hp.

so you can see where the DRZ loses.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Awesome - thanks all for the responses.

To the folks who have modded the bike....

Personally, I would not waste money with Corbin and Renazco. First of all, it's a big ticket expenditure. Secondly, Corbin uses a metal pan, so you are getting 5 extra lbs against the stocker. Renazco is even more expensive, but will use (read require) your stocker seat ... meaning you will not have a spare seat. After learning the above, I decided to go with a guy who runs a small upholstery business from Port Colbourn. For half of Corbin price I ended up with re-padded seat according to my requirements with a gel pad inserted and two color brand new cover. I've had it for two seasons, still looks like new and feels 100 times better the stock and dare I say looks better than Corbin or Renazco.

I think you need to do at least 3 x 3 and rejet. It will not make more power, but it will run much better and use less fuel. If you decide to get FCR carb (I didn't, because I need to make 150km per tank reliably) you need to put a new exhaust in (not just slip-on, the whole system, incl. a larger header) to make sense out of this mod. The pipe needs to be free flowing, so forget about 93dB. It needs to be loud, otherwise you are just going to be wasting money ... DRZ takes well engine mods, but I am not personally a fan of those. I'd just get a different bike, if the DRZ's stock power is not enough. You will simply not make KTM690 out of it ...