Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Thread: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Looking for DRZ400SM owners willing to talk up their bike...

Quote Originally Posted by mbroyda View Post
    I would be riding the DRZ on the street as well as track days, my question is how far behind CRF 450's will I be on the track?
    Track day or racing? In my opinion that's a big difference. I personally wouldn't care much how much slower I'd be behind a racing trim CRF450 or any other racing sumo bike on a nice sunny track day. Track day is about you and your pace, there will always be bikes faster than you and most likely some slower than you. People on different machines ......

If you are planning to race, I wouldn't be putting DRZ into the same sentence, unless it is DRZ only series, which of course doesn't exists.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Track day or racing? In my opinion that's a big difference. I personally wouldn't care much how much slower I'd be behind a racing trim CRF450 or any other racing sumo bike on a nice sunny track day. Track day is about you and your pace, there will always be bikes faster than you and most likely some slower than you. People on different machines ......

If you are planning to race, I wouldn't be putting DRZ into the same sentence, unless it is DRZ only series, which of course doesn't exists.
    I totally get it, which is why I'm not necessarily looking for the fastest hardware. I'm looking to scratch the track day itch, not be the next Rossi.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

1. Aftermarket seats - I understand the stock seat sucks. Most stock seats suck. But when I look at the seat on the DRZ400 it looks like a special, specific, menacing kind of torture. Are there decent aftermarket options on the seat?

Renzaco and Corbin both make aftermarket seats. I got used to the oem but the renzaco is a really nice looking option and gets great reviews, the corbin is kind of goofy looking imo.

2. What's the range on a tank? I understand they're small, but what can I expect to get in the city or when it's a little more open?

150km is about the max you will see. I used to fill up roughly every 120-130km to be on the safe side. You can get bigger aftermarket tanks.

3. What are the vibes like on the highway? I'm anticipating that they'll be fierce, but are they deal-able for an hour or so? At what speed do they get ridiculous? Could I concievably cruise at 130 kph?

Put a 39 tooth rear sprocket on the back and the bike will cruise at 130 all day. Vibes aren't too bad it's the wind thats tough.

1. Would you consider the upgrades worth your while? In other words, is this a bike that's responds well to performance (engine, carburation, suspension) upgrades, or at the end of the day was it money not well spent?

The bike should have at minimum the FCR carb, 3x3 airbox, and full exhaust done. From there you can get into big bores, cams and stroker motors. The sky is really the limit but those first 3 are must do kind of mods. Check out thumpertalk.com.

2. Compared to some bikes that I have owned (and I do most of my own maintenance) this looks like a very easy bike to work on. Any dissenting opinions?

Really just about anyone can turn wrench's on this bike. There are a ton of online write-ups around for most jobs you will do.

3. For folks that have owned other bikes, the cost of ownership seems relatively low. Agree?

Agreed. You would have a tough time finding a cheaper bike to run imo.

1. No crazy maintenance schedule. I know that performance in supermotos means maintenance measured in hours, for the most part, and I'm not interested in spending ALL my time wrenching, as this will be a daily driver.

You can also look at a KTM 690SMC (625smc is fast and fun but the 690 is alot more bike) and Husqavarna 610sm. I don't really know much about the newer Husky 630sm.

2. Not stupid expensive.
    Bang for the buck DRZ is real tough to beat

3. Good aftermarket support. I like to mod.
    I would say there is a greater aftermarket for the DRZ then almost any other bike in any class.

4. A bike that is legal on the streets. I don't know if it's possible to take an off-road or track bike and mod it so it's legal so I can plate it, but I think I recall this wasn't the case.
    You can't blue (street) plate off road models since 2008. You wouldn't want to anyways if your using the bike daily.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamaro View Post
    2. What's the range on a tank? I understand they're small, but what can I expect to get in the city or when it's a little more open?

150km is about the max you will see. I used to fill up roughly every 120-130km to be on the safe side. You can get bigger aftermarket tanks.
    I've hit reserve at 90km (12.8kmpl), all the way up to 175km (25kmpl). I'm cautious and usually fill after 100km
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by espro View Post
    I've hit reserve at 90km (12.8kmpl), all the way up to 175km (25kmpl). I'm cautious and usually fill after 100km
    How do you accomplish such a variance?

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    How do you accomplish such a variance?
    That 90km tank happened only once, took me by complete surprise. The only way I could explain it is I somehow reset my trip meter mid tank, but it's not really something you can accidentally do. My average lies somewhere around 20kmpl probably
    1989 Yamaha FZR400 (Sold)
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Sold)
    2010 Ducati Monster 696

When I've gone 120 k on my DRZ SM I start looking for gas. I do not notice vibes, mainly because my tolerance for hanging on in the wind is low, looking for a small shield that doesn't look dorky. I put hand guards on it, have the JD jet kit but not installed. I got a bunch of parts from a fellow who was moving, including a Corbin seat which is ok but really too slippery. One of the best things I added was an alloy rear rack - makes a great handle and I mount a small tail/tank bag in it for gloves and water. I have knobby tires front and rear from a dirt model, have not put then on to see what it's like in sand - with the 17 inchers sand is a no go. I am east of the Rouge if you want to sit on it.