Ontario Plate for Derbi GP-1 50cc : Green or White ???

Thread: Ontario Plate for Derbi GP-1 50cc : Green or White ???

Question Ontario Plate for Derbi GP-1 50cc : Green or White ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GP1SilverSml4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	26162

I just purchased an older Derbi GP-1 scooter (the 50cc engine). Speedometer ends at 90km/h, the scooter itself does 110+ km/h in reality.

I have a full M license, and am going to go register it and get plates this week. My concern is this:

- I drive (cars and trucks) a lot on 401, DVP and Gardiner. The scooter is for myself to commute when I have no cargo to carry. So, when I receive my plate, is it going to be the small GREEN plate or small WHITE plate?

- How does the MTO determine what colour plates to give me? Is it based on what I tell them about the scooter, or some internal policy? (I know of several cases where people were given wrong plates; i.e. a 60 km/h true lsm got the normal white motorcycle plate, and a full-speed 120 km/h automatic motorcycle got the green plate; - all due to personal choices made by the mto employees)

P.S. I know that the small green plates are designed to distinguish actual limited-speed-bikes (slow) from bikes (including scooters) that can go highway speeds. The reason I'm asking this - is because I want to estimate just how much harassment am I going to receive from Toronto Police and OPP, while using highways to get to work/home. While I obviously prefer to get the white plates (less hassle), I will still ride on 401 with the green plates (when I have no choice). I'm just trying to research if there is anything I can do to optimize my experience...

Sorry for the question about a scooter in a motorcycle forum - but I need to find this out for sure - and GTAMotorcycle is the only forum that I trust when it comes to all bike questions. I appreciate and admire how knowledgeable most riders on this forum are.

Re: Ontario Plate for Derbi GP-1 50cc : Green or White ???

Based on your comments regarding top speed, your scooter should qualify for a white plate: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan....shtml#limited
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

>Rob MacLennan

that's what I expect too - the bike is most definitely fast enough to not impede any of the traffic on a highway. Especially, considering that today one can get a ticket for doing just 110km/h on 401, the fact that this scooter goes about 110km/h is good news. However, I just wanted to confirm - seeing that this is a relatively small scooter with only a 50cc (though a high-performance) engine. Having dealt with provincial bureaucracy for years, I'm concerned with how they determine which scooters are "highway legal".

I had a scooter that topped out at 40kph with a white plate on it so no worries.